PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Doc Rivers agrees to five year extension with C's.

Kontradiction

On my retirement tour.
PatsFans.com Supporter
2020 Weekly Picks Winner
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
2023 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
Doc Rivers agrees to 5-year extension with Boston Celtics - ESPN Boston

WALTHAM, Mass. -- Boston Celtics president of basketball operations Danny Ainge was making his way to a makeshift podium for his end-of-season news conference when his cell phone rang. Ainge politely excused himself, joking that it was his next head coach.

Only he wasn't joking. It was Doc Rivers, who had just landed back in Orlando, delivering the good news that after ironing out the final details, he and the Celtics had agreed to a five-year contract extension.

"I think Doc is the best coach in the league, so I think it's great for us, to have him around," Ainge said.

The value of the contract is believed to be more than $6 million per year, a source told ESPN The Magazine's Ric Bucher Thursday night.

Great News

Doc has certainly elevated himself to be one of the best coaches in the league....He may not always have the best gameplan (the Heat can attest to that) ,but he certainly is a great teacher and motivator.

Bad idea for Doc. The Celts are gonna be medicocre for a long, long time.
Oh well, money talks, I guess.:confused:

I don't think enough Boston fans appreciate just what a huge coup this was to lock Rivers up for 5 years... that's going to be a huge factor attracting availalbe talent and bridging from one Big 3/4 to the next championship caliber team.

The rest of the league is not happy about this - that's for sure.

Good move, right now we have a coaching triumvirate that is unequalled and envied by most sports fans across the country.. and maybe Claude, if he pulls this off, may become part of the conversation.

this is a great move to lock doc up. hes a excellent coach and i love the guys loyalty to the celtics. its obvious how much doc loves being a part of the celtics and the players sense and feel that also. this helps heal a little the huge disappointment this season was.

this is a great move to lock doc up. hes a excellent coach and i love the guys loyalty to the celtics. its obvious how much doc loves being a part of the celtics and the players sense and feel that also. this helps heal a little the huge disappointment this season was.

I'm sure it didn't hurt to watch Miami get massacred in Game 1, either. :eek:

I'm sure it didn't hurt to watch Miami get massacred in Game 1, either. :eek:

It will feel a little better watching that 4th win by the bulls in this series and the Miami crybabies in tears....

It will feel a little better watching that 4th win by the bulls in this series and the Miami crybabies in tears....

Yeah but at least they're contending for the Eastern Conference title and not doing other things... like sitting at home... watching the Eastern Conference Finals. :snob:

Also, Tom Brady and Wes Welker after the Divisional playoffs say "hi".

Last edited:
Yeah but at least they're contending for the Eastern Conference title and not doing other things... like sitting at home... watching the Eastern Conference Finals. :snob:

Also, Tom Brady and Wes Welker after the Divisional playoffs say "hi".

Yep. Touche.

Still, they either win the Championship or the season's a bust. That's just the way it is.

Last edited:
I know it's probably sacrilege at this point given what the team has done since 2008, but I thought Doc was out-coached by Spoeltra in the playoffs without Thibideau by his side.

Danny took a big gamble with the Perkins trade and it backfired. Green has low basketball IQ and is a poor interior defender and rebounder. His only hope now is to ride out this team until the stars retire.

Yep. Touche.

Still, they either win the Championship or the season's a bust. That's just the way it is.

I agree. That's why I really didn't talk smack after the Celtics series even though I really could have. I'd prefer to wait until the Heat win a title. I've only smack talked back to those that have talked smack about the Heat to me, in this case bigcountry (who has been horribly wrong, once again).

I know it's probably sacrilege at this point given what the team has done since 2008, but I thought Doc was out-coached by Spoeltra in the playoffs without Thibideau by his side.

Spoelstra is a good coach, and has out-coached a few guys this post season. Last night, he out-coached Thibodeau down the stretch. I think people just don't look at him as a good coach because of how young he is and the talent he has to work with. Those people forget that he took the worst team in the league in 2007 and turned them into a playoff contender in 2008 with the exact same cast. THIS might be sacrilege, but Spoelstra kind of reminds me of a young Belichick. Attention to detail, stress on doing one's job, and teaches his team not to get too far ahead of itself. A lot of coaches would be praising the Heat's victories over the Bulls. Spoelstra has simply replied to the questions by saying that every game is going to be a grind, that the Bulls have a good team, and that nothing is going to come easy.

Spoelstra is a good coach, and has out-coached a few guys this post season. Last night, he out-coached Thibodeau down the stretch. I think people just don't look at him as a good coach because of how young he is and the talent he has to work with. Those people forget that he took the worst team in the league in 2007 and turned them into a playoff contender in 2008 with the exact same cast. THIS might be sacrilege, but Spoelstra kind of reminds me of a young Belichick. Attention to detail, stress on doing one's job, and teaches his team not to get too far ahead of itself. A lot of coaches would be praising the Heat's victories over the Bulls. Spoelstra has simply replied to the questions by saying that every game is going to be a grind, that the Bulls have a good team, and that nothing is going to come easy.

I forget where I read it from or saw it, but an NBA analyst was saying how Spoelstra is one of the most highly regarded coaches in the league. They were talking about this back when the Heat were struggling and if Spoelstra would be fired, and multiple analysts were saying if he lost his job he would be re-hired by someone else instantly. I think they also said Spoelstra built up their entire analytics division at the Heat before becoming head coach.

Looks like it'll be Mavs-Heat, barring some epic collapse from Miami. Props to Miami for doing it down the stretch, the thing that haunted them all regular season.

Derrick Rose is a nice player but after watching this series, it's clear he's not the MVP. Yet. At times this series, it's been rather obvious why he was the choice as he can dominate, but at other times, he honestly plays like a rookie. Those two boneheaded jumpers in the final minute of the 4th quarter the other nite cost the Bulls any chance at the series. Had they gone 2-2, I'd say it's probably 50-50 who wins this series. As it is, I'd say its 90-10, Miami wins.

It's also an indictment of Thibodeau though - after the first time Rose inexplicably decided it would be wise to try and shoot over a 6'9 athletic defender, he should have made sure Rose knew he had to penetrate on that final drive. Just completely irrational.

It makes me appreciate Rondo as a playmaker watching Rose play. Say what you will about Rondo's flaws, but Rose cannot distribute the way Rondo can, and likely never will.

Last edited:
It doesn't matter if the Heat collapse or not they will win the NBA championship because that's what David Stern wants....I am 100000% convinced that this game is fixed after watching these bulls/heat games.....And still why the **** is Scott Foster still reffing especially in the ECF....He is really doing Stern's handy work in getting the Beat to the Championship....I don't know why Lebrick doesn't just go to the hoop every play because they will call a foul is someone looks at him the wrong way.....This is absolutely ridiculous....If they are going to call fouls I wish someone would just knock Lebrick's ******* head off.....

It doesn't matter if the Heat collapse or not they will win the NBA championship because that's what David Stern wants....I am 100000% convinced that this game is fixed after watching these bulls/heat games.....And still why the **** is Scott Foster still reffing especially in the ECF....He is really doing Stern's handy work in getting the Beat to the Championship....I don't know why Lebrick doesn't just go to the hoop every play because they will call a foul is someone looks at him the wrong way.....This is absolutely ridiculous....If they are going to call fouls I wish someone would just knock Lebrick's ******* head off.....

Because the referees were the ones who hit those clutch threes at the end of last night's game, right? Personally, I thought the officiating favored the Bulls to the max last night. But that's just me looking at it as a Heat fan.

Looks like it'll be Mavs-Heat, barring some epic collapse from Miami. Props to Miami for doing it down the stretch, the thing that haunted them all regular season.

Derrick Rose is a nice player but after watching this series, it's clear he's not the MVP. Yet. At times this series, it's been rather obvious why he was the choice as he can dominate, but at other times, he honestly plays like a rookie. Those two boneheaded jumpers in the final minute of the 4th quarter the other nite cost the Bulls any chance at the series. Had they gone 2-2, I'd say it's probably 50-50 who wins this series. As it is, I'd say its 90-10, Miami wins.

It's also an indictment of Thibodeau though - after the first time Rose inexplicably decided it would be wise to try and shoot over a 6'9 athletic defender, he should have made sure Rose knew he had to penetrate on that final drive. Just completely irrational.

It makes me appreciate Rondo as a playmaker watching Rose play. Say what you will about Rondo's flaws, but Rose cannot distribute the way Rondo can, and likely never will.

He'll mature and learn. You really should be giving a lot of credit to the Heat's defense, though. They stifled him all series long.

He'll mature and learn. You really should be giving a lot of credit to the Heat's defense, though. They stifled him all series long.

I'll give them credit, and Lebron can shut him down when it matters. But you also have to question why Rose stopped trying to penetrate when it mattered most (he did last nite and got to the line for what should've been game-tying free throws).

Mavs-Heat should be a good series, I'm looking forward to this one. Obviously I want to see the Heat go down, I'm not a particularly big fan of any Mavs player (I hate Jason Kidd quite a bit), but I suppose I have to root for them.

It was funny to see both Dallas & Miami win the same way - 4th quarter play, 4th quarter comebacks. I think in a couple years, Chicago and OKC might be the better teams, but the players on those teams just aren't ready yet. It might be cliched, but there is something to be said for having been there before.

Dallas will pose a pretty formidable foe. They have size in the frontcourt to give Miami problems. But they really don't have anyone to stop Wade.

I'll give them credit, and Lebron can shut him down when it matters. But you also have to question why Rose stopped trying to penetrate when it mattered most (he did last nite and got to the line for what should've been game-tying free throws).

Mavs-Heat should be a good series, I'm looking forward to this one. Obviously I want to see the Heat go down, I'm not a particularly big fan of any Mavs player (I hate Jason Kidd quite a bit), but I suppose I have to root for them.

It was funny to see both Dallas & Miami win the same way - 4th quarter play, 4th quarter comebacks. I think in a couple years, Chicago and OKC might be the better teams, but the players on those teams just aren't ready yet. It might be cliched, but there is something to be said for having been there before.

Dallas will pose a pretty formidable foe. They have size in the frontcourt to give Miami problems. But they really don't have anyone to stop Wade.

Having watched this Bulls series, I don't think size bothers the Heat as much as it did in the earlier parts of the regular season. That said, though, the Bulls don't have two seven footers in the frontcourt. They only have one. Dallas DOES have two seven footers. That said, Joel Anthony plays much bigger than his frame and is an aggressive defensive presence in the middle. I think he can hang with Tyson Chandler (who I expect the Heat to pursue in the offseason, after dumping Mike Miller and his salary). Dirk presents a much bigger problem in that he can post up on Bosh and is also a threat to shoot from the outside. I expect Bosh and LeBron to share the duties in guarding him. The Heat's defense will cause the Mavericks some problems too. Miami is the fastest team in the NBA and, in being that, they can double team Dirk and still get to Dallas' perimeter shooters to force a bad shot. We saw that time and time again in the Bulls series when two defenders would swamp Rose then force bad shots from Korver because they were fast enough to disrupt him.

As for OKC and Derrick Rose, I expect both to get better as time goes on. Rose went up against a buzz saw in the Heat's defense, but it was clear that he wasn't ready for the moment either. In another couple of years, and with a few personnel moves, he and the Bulls will be a very formidable foe. The Celtics, meanwhile, should focus on putting together some type of trade for Kevin Love. I would try to send Allen and Garnett over in some sort of trade package for him.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Back