Welcome to PatsFans.com

Doc Goes To College

Discussion in 'The PatsFans.com Pub' started by DocAdkinsDiet, Apr 20, 2006.

?

Doc Goes To College

1. UMASS-Amherst

3 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. Northeastern University

1 vote(s)
    8.3%
  3. Worcester Polytechnic Institute

2 vote(s)
    16.7%
  4. Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute

6 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. DocAdkinsDiet

DocAdkinsDiet Practice Squad Player

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Alright guys, I'm looking for some help here. I'm currently a high school senior trying to decide what school to attend next fall. I have four choices: UMASS-Amherst, Northeastern University, Worcester Polytechnic Institute, and Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute. I would be majoring in Chemical Engineering at whichever school I choose. Let me know which school you suggest I attend because I can't pick one. Don't worry, I don't plan on basing my decision on this. I am just curious what you guys think.

Also, for now let's just pretend money is not an issue.

2. drpatriot

drpatriot Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

As someone who has been to the UMass-Amherst campus (but not the others) I'd definitely recommend it. There is a wide course selection, especially because you can take classes at any of the four other local colleges along with UMass. (Amherst, Mt. Holyoke and two others, all within 5 min.) However, it's not in a big city and has a relatively small student body. which are two major things to consider.

3. gomezcat

gomezcat It's SIR Moderator to you Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

If it helps, I chose my first University by visiting the campuses and having a look around the area. It is slightly different in your case as I assume you are staying local to Boston(???). I was particulary interested in the student life, the girls (not that it did me any good- lots of looking and that was about it) and the quality of the beer.
    I recall attending lectures at some point, or was that my imagination? :D

Anyway, back to my point. I would go with whichever one "feels" like somewhere you want to spend three or four years.

4. Johnny Mac

Johnny Mac Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

You can start some good riots at UMass.

5. DocAdkinsDiet

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

That's the problem I have been having. I feel like I could spend my college years at anyone of them. I think I would be happy at all of them. It's a good problem to have, but it's still a problem.

6. gomezcat

gomezcat It's SIR Moderator to you Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Ah, that presents a problem, then. Perhaps the quality of the beer should swing it LOL!

7. JoeSixPat

JoeSixPat Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +114 / 2 / -3

I have no opinion on any of those schools - they're all good though some certainly have better reputations for something like Chemical Engineering than others.

I'd agree with those who say go to the environment that feels right for you.

College is what you make of it, no matter where you go... it could be a state school or the snootiest private college - what you take out of it will depend on what you put in

Consider also the opportunities that the college may afford you. Personally I got wait listed at the schools I wanted to go to (UVa and William and Mary) and wound up going to URI

Going to the state school, while it certainly didn't have the rep and seem as good on paper, wound up affording me better opportunties than I thought

1.) Location - plenty of intern opportunities in my field of government that wound up turning into a career for me. Had I gone out of state its unlikely I would have been in the right place at the right time, which has a lot to do with success.

2.) Big fish, small pond. All modesty aside, given my intellect I was a big fish in a small pond at URI. That allowed me to get a great education from a number of professors who gave a kid who wanted to learn a lot of personal attention that I'd bet even kids at expensive private schools didn't get.

3.) Comfort factor - if you adapt well anywhere great. But many colleges offer different environments. Go to the school that suits you - not the one that you think would impress others. As Chem Engineer your undergrad school really doesn't count much anyway... your grad school will make a bigger difference and in 20 years I'd bet no one cares where you went to school anyway.

Good luck!

8. JoeSixPat

Ratings:
    +114 / 2 / -3

By the way - I don't know where you live right now and if proximity to home is an issue (its not necessarilly a bad thing) but all things being equal consider the location

I don't know much about Amherst but it doesn't seem to me there's a whole lot going on there (that could be a good thing)

Worcester is, in my opinon, a lame city if you're going to live in a city (which generally isn't my cup of tea)

If you're going to live in a City, it seems to me like Boston's a good place to be - and being on the train line and MBTA, even though the cost of living is very high, it has a lot going for it

Troy NY it seems to me has a lot going for it - its a college town in its own right, not too far from Albany, which I don't think gets enough credit as a cool city - and still isn't all that far a drive from New England (assuming that's home for you)

I'd guess that the cost of living in Troy isn't as bad as in Boston either.

So in terms of where I personally would choose to live (because that is part of your equation) for me it would be RPI

9. Mike the Brit

Mike the Brit Minuteman Target PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +414 / 2 / -2

Disable Jersey

I'd put two points above all others. (1) Would you feel at home with the sort of people you'd be around on campus? (2) Do you feel that the professors are committed to teaching? Those are the two things I'd ask myself on a campus visit/Open Day. Everything else strikes me as being relatively minor compared to those two.

(I think that Joe makes a great point about the big fish/small pond. If you're committed to your work, don't assume that you have to be in the most prestigious school to get the best education. But do make sure that there are enough fellow-students who share your values and that the faculty will support you.)

Congratulations and good luck!

10. patsfan55

patsfan55 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

#95 Jersey

i'm actually about to graduate from boston university in a few weeks
    my best friend from hs goes to umass amherst, he likes it a lot there
    im from wester mass, and there really isnt much to do there, but the campus life there is pretty good

basically what you want to look for when deciding a school is how much you can learn there, how good the school is in job placement after graduation (how employers view the school), if you like the location and feel of the school (you gotta be happy), in engineering im sure the facilities are very important too

if you visit the schools you should get a pretty good feel for things

when i visited bu for the first time i just knew it was for me, and i think that can often happen for ppl (as it did for my sister yrs earlier the first time she visited umiami)
    you just have to find the school that fits you and your personality

good luck!!!

Last edited: Apr 22, 2006
  11. PatsWickedPissah

PatsWickedPissah PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,862 / 19 / -12

Disable Jersey

I'd push for WPI. Worcester is a pit but the eng grads (comp sci & EE) that I hired from WPI were always competent and capable. A very good Eng school. RPI would be my 2nd pick.

12. DocAdkinsDiet

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Well I made my final visit to RPI on Saturday, and now it's time to really get down to business. Today I began mulling over any info I gathered on the schools and starting do pros and cons, etc. I was able to pretty much eliminate WPI from contention. I just don't feel I would fit in to well there.

It's funny you should say that, because most of the people I have asked have said Troy was the hell-hole of the universe, but from what I saw I thought it looked pretty decent.

I am also from Western Mass. which is a big point for UMass. I like how it is decently close to home, but I'm still almost an hour away so it isn't like I didn't leave at all.

I am leaning towards either UMass or NU as of right now. They feel more comfortable to me and I think it is pretty likely I will end up at one of those two.

We will know soon, thought, because I have to decide by around Thursday or so because the deadline is May 1st.

13. Johnny Mac

Johnny Mac Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Oh yeah? What town?

14. DocAdkinsDiet

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Agawam- home of the Brownies

15. JoeSixPat

Ratings:
    +114 / 2 / -3

I'm more of a small college town type of a guy - so a Troy seems like a nice place to me... others who like more activity probably feel its got nothing to offer... but again its not that far from Albany - which I also like as a mid-sized city.

Northeastern - as long as you are going there for their academics - the word I hear from folks who were sold on their co-op program is that any internship does the same thing, and the "real life" experience they promised never really happened.

Obviously the cost of living in Boston is high as well - lots of college kids cramped into expensive small apartments is a norm. In Troy you might have a better living situation.

16. DocAdkinsDiet

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Ya I'm not totally sure how I feel about the whole Co-Op hype, so if I go there it will be basically because it is a decently respected program and mostly because I liked the campus and like Boston.

17. JoeSixPat

Ratings:
    +114 / 2 / -3

I knew a bunch of people who couldn't get co-op placed in anything close to their intended career and were royally pissed about spending so much money for what they felt was an average program.

But that was for their business school - I think Chem Engineering likely has their own rep separate from the rest of the school

18. Dfresh429

Dfresh429 Practice Squad Player

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Umass LOWELL All the way!! GOOOOOOOOo RIVERHAWKS!! WOOT!

proud graduate of the class of 04...well not so proud, bust still a graduate!

19. patsfan55

patsfan55 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

#95 Jersey

ughhh
    Fagawam!!!!!

we used to kill you guys in football when i played (not that long ago)
    as you can see from on my posts location, I'm originally from longmeadow

20. DocAdkinsDiet

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Yes, but to be fair you guys generally kill everyone in the area. Damn you and your school choice.

O ya and Fagawam is on its way out. Now its Crackawam, and I now attend "Heroin High". O ya, my town is moving up in the world. We are really shedding are poor image. :rolleyes: