Dobson travels with team, expected to make debut

Status
Not open for further replies.

patsinthesnow

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Jeff Howe ‏@jeffphowe
Source: Aaron Dobson traveled with Patriots, expected to make preseason debut tonight
Source: Aaron Dobson traveled with Patriots, expected to make preseason debut | Boston Herald

The Patriots have planned all week to play Dobson tonight, and they rarely take injured players on road trips if they aren't expected to suit up. Long-time veterans and captains are typically the only exceptions to that rule.

It’s unclear how much playing time Dobson will get tonight, but any reps will be valuable as he competes with Kenbrell Thompkins and Brandon LaFell to regain his perch as the Pats top outside receiver.

Good news. There seems to be a steady progression for him and Gronk. I'm optimistic both will be available for week 1 against Miami.

Dobson & Tyms for Garoppolo to work with? Throw in LaFell if he gets any reps and that's a lot of tall receiving options!

Dobson & Tyms for Garoppolo to work with? Throw in LaFell if he gets any reps and that's a lot of tall receiving options!
And Wright, providing the LG can block well enough for Jimmy G to get him the ball, lol.

and they rarely take injured players on road trips if they aren't expected to suit up. Long-time veterans and captains are typically the only exceptions to that rule.

So Brady could have stayed home but he traveled instead? What a legend.

Great news but I wish he was playing with Brady and not Garoppolo. He could have used all the reps with Brady he could get. But such is the way of foot injuries. If he's fully healed, I'm looking forward to seeing what Dobson can do in his sophomore campaign.

ilt.gif

I happy to hear. He needs to get some real game type of experience before week 1. So hopefully this a good sign he will be ready to go in a week and a half.

And Wright, providing the LG can block well enough for Jimmy G to get him the ball, lol.

I doubt Wright will be ready to play tonight.

I assumed he wouldn't be playing, so if he is that'll be good to watch even if he isn't going to know the playbook.

Why wouldn't Wright play?

Happy to have Dobson back. Hope his foot holds up for the full season and he builds upon last year. I remember being very excited about him during and after the PIT game and then injuries took him off course.

Why wouldn't Wright play?

He was traded for on Tuesday, so he didn't practice that day. Yesterday I assume was not a full practice, probably a walkthrough type. I don't see how he's had any chance to learn even the basics enough to play Thursday. He might ready to contribute week one, but I don't think they'd put him out there without a chance to get his feet wet in practice. Could be wrong, I just don't see it.

He was traded for on Tuesday, so he didn't practice that day. Yesterday I assume was not a full practice, probably a walkthrough type. I don't see how he's had any chance to learn even the basics enough to play Thursday. He might ready to contribute week one, but I don't think they'd put him out there without a chance to get his feet wet in practice. Could be wrong, I just don't see it.
Its still football. He can get a 2 day crash course in terminology and a teammate can tell him what to do in the huddle.
I'd rather see him learn in trial by fire than be conservative and hold him back because he might run the wrong route in a meaningless game.
I suppose he needs to pass a physical, but how difficult is that?
Regular season game, I agree, but this is a meaningless game, who's only purpose is to prepare players for the season. Why wouldn't we play the guy who needs the most preparation? What is there to lose?

Nice..

55872-How-I-feel-when-my-GF-asks-if-NZwx.gif

Reactions: ALP
Garoppolo to Dobson, coming to you in 2020 (They'll both be just 29 then :eek:).

Its still football. He can get a 2 day crash course in terminology and a teammate can tell him what to do in the huddle.
I'd rather see him learn in trial by fire than be conservative and hold him back because he might run the wrong route in a meaningless game.
I suppose he needs to pass a physical, but how difficult is that?
Regular season game, I agree, but this is a meaningless game, who's only purpose is to prepare players for the season. Why wouldn't we play the guy who needs the most preparation? What is there to lose?

Fair points. It would be nice to get an early look at the kid too, so I do hope you're right.

I doubt Wright will be ready to play tonight.

I'd imagine McDaniels and Daboll might be giving Wright a crash course of about 10-15 offensive plays that might feature him tonight.

He might only play with Garoppolo, so he doesn't get that timing with Brady that he needs after missing so much time. But atleast it should help him get into game speed a bit.

I'd imagine McDaniels and Daboll might be giving Wright a crash course of about 10-15 offensive plays that might feature him tonight.

Suppose they could just have him learn 3-5 routes and use him in certain situations too if they want him to play tonight.

It's not like he will make much difference in the run game so if they were like "run this, this and that route and you'll be fine for this game".

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes