Do You Want Plaxico Burress?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatsFans.com Article

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
By: Derek Havens

WIth WR Plaxico Burress about to be released from prison and trying to make a come back, the question around the NFL is, do you want Plaxico Burress on the Pat?...

i wouldn't want burress on my team, but i can see a market for him given the fact free agency has yet to begin, and given the success vick has shown after missing time due to incarceration.

i'd say burress will have to prove himself to a suitor, that he's grown up a bit

the guy was a really good wr when his head was in the game

i wouldn't want burress on my team, but i can see a market for him given the fact free agency has yet to begin, and given the success vick has shown after missing time due to incarceration.

i'd say burress will have to prove himself to a suitor, that he's grown up a bit

the guy was a really good wr when his head was in the game
I'd like Burress on the Patriots. I'd also like the Patriots to sign Tiki Barber.

Kidding ;).

I think the best answer would be a resounding "F*CK NO". I don't care about what he went to jail for or anything, I am still bitter over SB42 and his Patriots recliner defacing in the Sirius NFL Studios.

If he can actually play and improves our team i say sign him. The past is the past. He killed us.

He was a key piece for the giants playoff run and he pretty much raped guys with his size in that post season. A 6ft5 monster on the outside for Brady would be a match up nightmare.

Last edited:
bos_a_asante1_200.jpg

eli-manning-super-bowl-xlii.jpg

large_manning

David_Tyree_catch_web2.jpg

PlaxicoBurress.jpg

So close yet so far...

That has to be the ugliest and luckiest game winning drive in history

Last edited:
large_manning

Thanks for reminding me about the ref's lack of calling holding on half the Giant's OL :mad:

large_manning

Thanks for reminding me about the ref's lack of calling holding on half the Giant's OL :mad:

Yeah i was looking for that specifically. Pretty sickening...i'm laughing at it right now for some reason though..it was like all the luck that we had during the dynasty years came back to bite us in the arse for that one drive for some ungodly reason.

Last edited:
Ref's do their job and Pats win the SB and go UNDEFEATED...oh well...

S&*T Happens:mad:

WE LOST

Stop bringing this up. Its sickening to see.

scroll scroll scroll then :)

Ok, trying to be completely objective here with no emotion:

- Can he pick up the Patriot's offense? We've all heard about how complicated it is, can he 'get it' in time to be productive?

- Have his skills faded? He's been in jail for a bit and isn't a Spring Chicken anymore, can he still produce like he did in the old days?

- Is he still an idiot with authority issues or has he matured? Granted, Tom Coughlin seems like a tyrant, which would bring out any rebelliousness in someone, but if he wasnt willing to do EXACTLY what he was told I dont see how it would work.

So, it's obvious that he used to be a physical beast who abused corners and was a great target, which is something we're sorely lacking, and I dont see BB as one to hold grudges, but Burress would need to make sense in order for him to take the chance.

Ok, trying to be completely objective here with no emotion:

- Can he pick up the Patriot's offense? We've all heard about how complicated it is, can he 'get it' in time to be productive?

- Have his skills faded? He's been in jail for a bit and isn't a Spring Chicken anymore, can he still produce like he did in the old days?

- Is he still an idiot with authority issues or has he matured? Granted, Tom Coughlin seems like a tyrant, which would bring out any rebelliousness in someone, but if he wasnt willing to do EXACTLY what he was told I dont see how it would work.

So, it's obvious that he used to be a physical beast who abused corners and was a great target, which is something we're sorely lacking, and I dont see BB as one to hold grudges, but Burress would need to make sense in order for him to take the chance.

BB does what's best for the team....WHO would he drop to make room for Plax ? ( If he still has it and has matured)......also, what is his PRICETAG???

Lots of questions.....don't think it will happen....

If I recall correctly Burress made a comment along the lines of 'they don't even run plays', or something to that affect the last time he played against the Pats. It was in reference to the Pats' system where receivers are supposed to read the defense and adjust their route accordingly.

The fact that he said that makes me think that he may be more suited for an offense where the receiver strictly runs the route that is called, and may have trouble adjusting to the style of offense that the Patriots run. Add in the lack of available time in this off season to learn the playbook and that system, and get enough reps in with Brady to get at least a bit of a rhythm with him, and it just makes me feel very skeptical about how productive he could be with the Pats. All that is before taking into consideration the (presumed) advancements by Price and Tate, and who would be cut to make room for him on the roster, and who would lose reps and experience for the future - as well as the idea that a 34-year old WR that has not played in two years may not have the best conditioning and/or timing.

Would I vehemently oppose the Pats signing Burress? No; I'm just very doubtful that he would be able to contribute enough to make it worthwhile.

Last edited:
Plaxico Burress is a 33 year old WR who has had for 1000 yerd season in 9 years, Randy Moss is a 34 years old WR who has Ten 1000 yerd season in 15 years. both are not great route runners both would do noting more then open up the outher WR's to make plays so why not go for the guy that alredy knows the system

Burress is an older player who's been taking his rest at the ironbar hotel rather than remaining in football shape. He considers practice to be optional, and is very flexible about times, considering them to be gentle suggestions as opposed to firm requirements.

I don't really see the Patriots having any interest. If they do go after him, that will tell us that they were desperate.

Last edited:
By: Derek Havens

WIth WR Plaxico Burress about to be released from prison and trying to make a come back, the question around the NFL is, do you want Plaxico Burress on the Pat?...

If you insist that this is a question, I guess I'll accept that it is. The answer is obvious: no.

So close yet so far...

That has to be the ugliest and luckiest game winning drive in history

The Patriots have also had their fair share of luck in the 3 Super Bowl seasons.

I'll leave free agency to Belichick - but I find it tough to believe he could demonstrate the speed and timing he'd need after sitting so long.

He served his time and then some so I don't even consider him shooting himself to be a factor - aside from him proving himself to be a complete idiot, as he's also proven so many other times.

If Belichick asks my opinion I'll tell him "no"

I hated Burress long before Super Bowl 42.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back