PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Do you want McGowan back?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want McGowan back. I don't care what teammates say to one another as long as they have the same goal, to win games. I love the physicality McGowan brought on to the field, something that has been missing without Rodney. It sets a tone that others follow.

Would people be saying the same thing if it was Rodney that said that to Levoir? I think not nor do I think people would have the same opinion about that hit if it were a player on another team (like the Steelers or Jets) who made that same type of hit.

Keep McGowan and get more players who will bring his type of physical play to this team! Levoirs hit was on the cusp of being dirty.

Re: Do you want McGowan back ?

That's a bullcrap excuse. Sanders plays in coverage on almost every single play that he's out there. Sometimes the ball hits him in the hands, but he can't hold on. But that's a rare occurrence because most of the time he's just not in position to get his hands on the ball. It's evident in his incredible low PD statistics - he's defended 13 passes in 5 years!

Comparing him to Harrison is just a complete joke. Harrison has 7 post-season INTs for the Patriots. Sanders has - I'll let you guess how many. Harrison had 9 sacks. Harrison also battled through multiple injuries and actually played less than 4 years' worth of games. What a ridiculous argument.

Someone doesn't understand that Sanders is NOT in coverage most of the time that he's on the field. Sanders plays the SS position, not the FS position. Especially when Meriweather is on the field.

"Brandon's done a good job for us. I thought that he was a good player for Chicago, and had a good career at Maine obviously. But a good career in Chicago but unfortunately missed some time. When he did play he played very well. He's a tough kid, he really is a good contact player with good speed, good range, he's instinctive. He makes plays in the kicking game; he's made plays on defense and both in the running game and in the passing game. Both in this preseason, and he made them with the Bears. So, I think he's a versatile player that brings a good competitive attitude and toughness to our team and to that position along with several other guys we have there, but that's something that we liked, and he's shown all that. I'm glad we have him."

-Bill Belichick

Pats1 - The quote isn't relevant as it was made prior to the start of the season. That being said, it should be pretty telling that when Sanders was re-inserted into the line-up, the secondary played a lot better.

I want McGowan back. I don't care what teammates say to one another as long as they have the same goal, to win games. I love the physicality McGowan brought on to the field, something that has been missing without Rodney. It sets a tone that others follow.

Would people be saying the same thing if it was Rodney that said that to Levoir? I think not nor do I think people would have the same opinion about that hit if it were a player on another team (like the Steelers or Jets) who made that same type of hit.

Keep McGowan and get more players who will bring his type of physical play to this team! Levoirs hit was on the cusp of being dirty.

Rodney Harrison would NEVER say that. And if he did, yes, my opinion would change of him. But that point is moot, because Rodney doesn't look at football like that. If he thought he would be a target, he would gladly accept that.

Look, I liked McGowan, but clearly his work ethic off the field and knowledge of the game weren't anywhere near James Sanders.' McGowan is a good hitter and finds ways to get around the ball, but if he is part of the "problem" in the locker room, I don't care if he's here or not next year. The time is ripe for Pat Chung to step in anyways.

Safety is the only position on the team (offense/defense) where there's not currently a question mark outside of who falls where on the depth chart. Why would people want to cut McGowan loose and change that, especially over a comment that may have been misunderstood or just made out of frustration?

Someone doesn't understand that Sanders is NOT in coverage most of the time that he's on the field. Sanders plays the SS position, not the FS position. Especially when Meriweather is on the field.

On passing plays, there are only 3 options of you're a defensive player:

Option 1: Rush the passer - we know Sanders doesn't do that because he's never hitting the QB and is sack numbers reflect that.

Options 2: Play coverage - you claim he doesn't do that. And Sanders' INT and PD statistics back up your claim. Those numbers are worse over each of the last 3 years that the majority of the LBs on the team.

Options 3: Stand around and watch - this must be what he does then.

On passing plays, there are only 3 options of you're a defensive player:

Option 1: Rush the passer - we know Sanders doesn't do that because he's never hitting the QB and is sack numbers reflect that.

Options 2: Play coverage - you claim he doesn't do that. And Sanders' INT and PD statistics back up your claim. Those numbers are worse over each of the last 3 years that the majority of the LBs on the team.

Options 3: Stand around and watch - this must be what he does then.

...That will bring us back to "do"....

Safety is not the problem and, while it could be upgraded, an upgrade is not needed. As for interceptions, Sanders is averaging 1 interception per season. Harrison had only 8 during his 6 year Patriots career, and just 7 forced fumbles. Wilson had 10 in 5 seasons but, then again, he was playing a different role, in the way that Meriweather (9 in 3 seasons) is now.

Safety is the only position on the team (offense/defense) where there's not currently a question mark outside of who falls where on the depth chart. Why would people want to cut McGowan loose and change that, especially over a comment that may have been misunderstood or just made out of frustration?

I respectfully disagree. Quantity does not equal quality.

I respectfully disagree. Quantity does not equal quality.

A Pro Bowler and a player who's been starting for several years, combined with a hard hitting prospect and an adequate backup, is quality.

A Pro Bowler and a player who's been starting for several years, combined with a hard hitting prospect and an adequate backup, is quality.

its not really quality since they are all still very suspect in coverage

dump sanders and springs, and go sign S sean jones

its not really quality since they are all still very suspect in coverage

dump sanders and springs, and go sign S sean jones

It's quality enough under the circumstances. Also, why the hell would you want to dump your second best safety when his contract's not an onerous one and you're in an uncapped year anyway? Every other position on the team has some level of turmoil or something unsettled, and you want to screw with the only solid area?

Are you trying for a 1-15 season or something?

Last edited:

I wouldn't be THAT disappointed if he was released but I wouldn't mind if he came back.

It's quality enough under the circumstances. Also, why the hell would you want to dump your second best safety when his contract's not an onerous one and you're in an uncapped year anyway? Every other position on the team has some level of turmoil or something unsettled, and you want to screw with the only solid area?

If (I admit this is a bug if) McGowan really said and meant what the article claims, then there are 2 problems.

First, the fact that he even thinks about it in those terms (now other teams are gunning for us) is a backwards attitude to have for a football player and certainly the opposite of BB's team-first attitude.

Second, the fact that a 1st year part-time player can even say something like that in the locker room and have other players echoing him, instead of telling him to shut his trap, shows a serious lack of leadership and attitude in the locker room.

Obviously, the locker room problem can't be solved in 1 transaction. But the McGowan problem can. I like him as a player, but not so much that I'll be upset if he's gone.

My view of the safety position is as follows - Merriweather is a good safety, but is a very poor tackler. In fact, his tackling is so poor that it needs to be compensated by other players on the defense. For Sanders, tackling is about the only thing he's good at. He's not worthy of being a starting safety for a Superbowl team.

McGowan was able to beat out Sanders initially, but then was benched as well. He's got a combination of lapses - coverage, tackling, communication, mental lapses - that leads to him being a very inconsistent player. So Chung is the last ray of hope. If he can't beat our Sanders for a starting spot at some point next season, I'd label him a bust and look for another safety.

If (I admit this is a bug if) McGowan really said and meant what the article claims, then there are 2 problems.

First, the fact that he even thinks about it in those terms (now other teams are gunning for us) is a backwards attitude to have for a football player and certainly the opposite of BB's team-first attitude.

Second, the fact that a 1st year part-time player can even say something like that in the locker room and have other players echoing him, instead of telling him to shut his trap, shows a serious lack of leadership and attitude in the locker room.

Obviously, the locker room problem can't be solved in 1 transaction. But the McGowan problem can. I like him as a player, but not so much that I'll be upset if he's gone.

My view of the safety position is as follows - Merriweather is a good safety, but is a very poor tackler. In fact, his tackling is so poor that it needs to be compensated by other players on the defense. For Sanders, tackling is about the only thing he's good at. He's not worthy of being a starting safety for a Superbowl team.

McGowan was able to beat out Sanders initially, but then was benched as well. He's got a combination of lapses - coverage, tackling, communication, mental lapses - that leads to him being a very inconsistent player. So Chung is the last ray of hope. If he can't beat our Sanders for a starting spot at some point next season, I'd label him a bust and look for another safety.

Word.

Besides, wasn't McGowan one of the laughing hyneas with Wilhite after the Miami loss?

I was happy when he was signed, and then made the 53 after TC, but one more strike & McGowan is Out to me.

:confused:

You're kidding with this, right? I mean, the rest of your post is a joke, I'm assuming, but the bolded part is just insane.

who's the 2nd best safety?

are subtly trying to act like an idiot or are you giving it your full effort?

:confused:

You're kidding with this, right? I mean, the rest of your post is a joke, I'm assuming, but the bolded part is just insane.

I guess you're really trying....either that or making yourself an example of your own signature

Last edited:
I guess you're really trying....either that or making yourself an example of your own signature

You don't call a player drafted in the second round a bust in his second year just because he didn't beat out an established veteran.

Well, people who understand the NFL don't. You just might.

Last edited:
This team needs some strong organization in the backside of the D and by letting players go one after the other year after year you will never find any consistency in this league.

The bottom line is the Pats need to keep both Bodden and McGowan unless they really get beaten out during TC.

I am getting tired of seeing this secondary in shuffling mode with different pieces and parts every year that simply are not blending together very well the past several years...its getting ridiculous and we need to start seeing at least 90% of the secondary return at least for a second consecutive season.

You don't call a player drafted in the second round a bust in his second year just because he didn't beat out an established veteran.

Well, people who understand the NFL don't. You just might.

where did I say dump chung?

I'm sorry.........you're not trying to act like an idiot.....you really are one

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back