PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Do you want McGowan back?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe McGowan is signed for one more year. I like him, he should be starting at strong safety or Chung with Meriweather starting at free safety.

Re: Do you want McGowan back ?

No, let's diagnose team chemistry based on scraps from national writers.

How much time do NBC writers spend in the Patriots locker room?

Curran isnt worth NBC anymore, hes with CSNNE.com. He only covers the Patriots now.

I would keep McGowan, he is a quality player in sub packages. He struggled against the pass late this season, forcing Sanders to take over as a starter but I think he can improve on this and still be a valuable part of the team.

Chung had better be that upgrade. For the skill set that safeties require, we've put enough draft resources into that position. Meriweather, Chung, Sanders.

I can see how you say that spending a recent 1st (Meriweather) and a 2nd (Chung) at safety is a significant expenditure of draft resources, but how is spending a 5th rounder (Sanders) on a safety a significant expenditure of draft resources? This more of a definitional quibble than anything else, but Sanders was a mid-second day draftee who stuck and not a massive expenditure of resources by definition.

I can see how you say that spending a recent 1st (Meriweather) and a 2nd (Chung) at safety is a significant expenditure of draft resources, but how is spending a 5th rounder (Sanders) on a safety a significant expenditure of draft resources? This more of a definitional quibble than anything else, but Sanders was a mid-second day draftee who stuck and not a massive expenditure of resources by definition.

Not that it matters, but Sanders was a (late) 4th round pick in 2005 (#133).

This really doesn't make any sense. McGowan was our hardest hitting DB all season. We saw him throw his body around with wreckless abandon. I gonna assume he was joking around and not being serious.

This really doesn't make any sense. McGowan was our hardest hitting DB all season. We saw him throw his body around with wreckless abandon. I gonna assume he was joking around and not being serious.

I agree that it makes no sense that the most kamikaze member of the secondary would make that kind of remark about a perfectly legal hit by our OL. I would think he would applaud it. It makes no sense. I don't know if it was serious or in jest, but I would give him the benefit of the doubt unless it proves to be an ongoing issue.

i don't think the story is true. and even if it is who cares he was the best players on the D for the first 6 or 7 games. ill take him back

I agree. It was probably said in jest and taken out of context by a reporter. i'll take McGowan back no doubt. He shut down some good TE's and played well early in the season before falling off. He was a hard hitter and made some good plays on special teams like causing fumbles. He's a pretty good 3rd/4th safety IMO.

If we kept McGowan, it wouldn't upset me. His play did drop off in the second half, though.

As for the Levoir story, it sounds a little strange to me. I wouldn't call it fabricated necessarily, but it wouldn't surprise if it were.

Not that it matters, but Sanders was a (late) 4th round pick in 2005 (#133).

Mea culpa :)

Extending my argument now that I have the time to dig for evidence. Here are the Pats' picks on safeties from the 2005 to 2009 drafts:

2005:
late 4th for Sanders

2006:
7th rounder for ST Willie Andrews who may have been listed on the depth chart as a safety

2007:
1st rounder on Meriweather

2008:
nothing

2009:
2nd on Chung

So the Pats pick up less than a safety a year in the draft in the past 5 drafts. Two on the first day, one on the decent part of the second day and a special teams flier at the end of the draft.

We need atleast 4 safeties in run our defence.we play alot of 3 safety with 1 over the TE so to run a 3 safety defence [ we play 50% of snaps in sub packages of some kind] you need 4 safeties.

I will have sanders and merriweather in there and chung/mcgown in rotation in coverage or one of the above needs a blow or nicked.
mcgown was banged up even with the bears and never could play consitent for a whole season , so why put him there to do something he struggles. using off him bench means he will give a good productive player who players enough and not too much that his productivity struggles.

Last edited:
This is such a vague description of what happened that I'm going to reserve judgment one way or another. Without context, tone of voice, or knowing how those three players normally interact with each other, it's really hard to say what they meant.

As for Butler's involvement, Curran never quotes him, just mentions that he "echoes the statement", which is a lazy way of saying, "I didn't really hear what he said." Later when Butler says, "All's fair" my first thought is it's short for "All's fair in love and war", which would imply to me that he felt whatever happens on a football field is fair game.

Again, everything is speculation, and just because someone overheard it doesn't make it mean anything.

McGowan is better than Sanders. No one can convince me otherwise.
Regarding the block on Strickland, i don't remember it. Some hits and blocks are unnecessarily violent though even though McG does hit hard too.
Butler echoed McG's words so i won't call him a **** at all cos he doesn't play like one.

So wrong!

For a guy that had made the comments that he did to LeVoir, he hits hard.......but he's so out of position sometimes you would think he had a bag of rocks for brains. Did you notice how the secondary looked more cohesive with Sanders in there? There is a reason McGowan lost playing time - he's a dumbass.

So wrong!

For a guy that had made the comments that he did to LeVoir, he hits hard.......but he's so out of position sometimes you would think he had a bag of rocks for brains. Did you notice how the secondary looked more cohesive with Sanders in there? There is a reason McGowan lost playing time - he's a dumbass.

McGowan lost playing time because he was struggling to defend the pass and lost his starting job to Sanders. From that point on he only played in sub packages. I think McGowan has a good future, he is a good guy to put on TEs and shut them down. He kept Gonzalez, Clark and Shockey pretty much in check. I wouldnt want to lose this guy and wouldnt look too much into the LeVoir comments, they dont mean much IMO

I say he should go. He has rocks for brains, got beat out by the inimitable James Sanders and now this. What is LeVoir supposed to do? HOld up on not making a block? That's how people get hurt and how your guys get no yards. McGowan needs to go back to Maine, see how he likes that. :eek:

I say he should go. He has rocks for brains, got beat out by the inimitable James Sanders and now this. What is LeVoir supposed to do? HOld up on not making a block? That's how people get hurt and how your guys get no yards. McGowan needs to go back to Maine, see how he likes that. :eek:

He clearly has talent, look at the way he played the 1st half of last season. I really wouldnt look into his comments too much. He could have a great off season and training camp and get back his starting spot from Sanders, even if he doesnt he still has a role in sub packages.

Who knows the context? Maybe McGowan got plastered by LeVoir in practice, and he and the rest of DBs are holding a grudge.

If Belichick was happy with LeVoir's performance on the play, I could give a rat's ass what McGowan thought. Hell, when thinking about BB's approach, maybe that's exactly the reaction he wanted to draw from the DBs.

It's crazy looking at some of these knee jerk reactions from one incident. He was productive for about half of a season, but the coaches preferred Sanders' communication and awareness more. I would still love to have him around to make some good hits next year in a back up role. I think he's more than serviceable.

I automatically distrust any media source as, at best, out of context.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back