Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Should the NFL Increase the Schedule to 18 Games?

• Yes! More football! What could be better?

Votes: 41 25.0%
  • No. The current schedule is good as is. Leave it alone.

Votes: 123 75.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

aluminum seats

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
The 18-game season seems like one of those things that's being talked about way to much for it not to happen. And the thing is, as much as I love football, so theoretically the more the better, I hate this idea. And I sense I'm not alone. The 16-game schedule works. And with all the talk about avoiding injuries, adding 2 more games seems like the last thing they should do.

What does everybody else think?

Heck ya. More football. The only reason I choose the 18 game button was there was no option for a 24 game season.

The 18 game season should favor a team like the Patriots anyways, who have stronger depth. People get injured in the first four preseason games all the time, mine as well make them real ones. I'm fine with 16 / 18, I don't think there's much difference between the two when it's all said and done. Overcoming injuries is part of the game.

Last edited:
I would kind of fall in the middle. because there was no in between I went with yes.

If they give me two extra games I am absolutely going to enjoy going and watching them so I cant really say no. But I think the product is fine as it is and injuries are clearly a concern already so to that affect I am not agonizing for a longer schedule and to be honest as it is now I am agonizing for the playoffs to roll around as I am so pumped and jacked for what this team is capable of. Picture there being 6 games left in the season right now.

No. I think the players will drop like flies at the end of the year. Look how many players the Patriots have lost, and we've played only 12 games. Add six more, plus the playoffs, and the results will be terrible. Consider how hard it has been for Superbowl participants to compete the following year. The only reason for a 16 game season is money. The players should push for a lot more han a 12.5% increase because they will have shorter careers. It will also be harder to make the team as rookies won't have an opportunity t prove themselves.

I think it will be too much on the players and more injuries will result. Therefore, I voted to leave it as is.

16 is my preference. The only reason for 18 is more money which is reasonable since it's a business, but I don't have to like it. The biggest issue for me is players will have 2 more games to pad their stats, breaking records, and over time it's hard to appreciate what those previous years were able to accomplish.

16 is my preference. The only reason for 18 is more money which is reasonable since it's a business, but I don't have to like it. The biggest issue for me is players will have 2 more games to pad their stats, breaking records, and over time it's hard to appreciate what those previous years were able to accomplish.

That's my thinking as well. I like the records that the current Patriots have, and think it will be easier to break records with more opportunities! If they go to 18 games Brady's 50 TDs will be gone in 10 years.

Nice to see the majority so far are against it.

It sounds great on paper but do you want to see half your favorite players on IR because their bodies are all shot to hell? :( I don't. Sometimes more isn't necessarily better. Then the games become meaningless and boring and will move toward even more parity than now, and it already seems like parity is at its highest point that I can remember seeing. Plus, IMO, the overall quality of play has just gone down tremendously league-wide. We've got it good here, for sure.

Along those lines (not really important but cool), I harbor the hope that the Pats will make another run at a perfect season. Year after next, for the record.

Do I want more football? Of course. I'd love to see an off season league for developmental players based in North America.

But, I also understand these guys are real people, not Madden video game characters. There are already enough games. This is just another of Goodell's Dumbazz ideas.

No. I think the players will drop like flies at the end of the year. Look how many players the Patriots have lost, and we've played only 12 games. Add six more, plus the playoffs, and the results will be terrible. Consider how hard it has been for Superbowl participants to compete the following year. The only reason for a 16 game season is money. The players should push for a lot more han a 12.5% increase because they will have shorter careers. It will also be harder to make the team as rookies won't have an opportunity t prove themselves.

... it's 2 extra games. You're making it seem like they're doubling the amount of games.

If a superbowl team can't compete the next year, it won't be because they played just two extra games the year before.
And they'd cut two of the pre-season games for it, right?

I'm not a fan of the notion to change from a sixteen-game regular season to an eighteen-game regular season. But then, the NFL once was a fourteen-game regular season.

In my opinion, if you've an eighteen-game regular season, like with running backs, you'll eventually have to adopt a quarterback by committee strategy to reduce the likelihood of injury to your starting quarterback. Actually, you already see an offshoot of this with teams that employ a wildcat play.

Regardless, you better have a good starting offensive line and depth there. Otherwise, those sacks will accumulate and take their toll with two more games. In general, you're almost assuring that there would be more league wide injuries if you're Goodell.

I'm sure there could be more possible repercussions from a change to an eighteen-game regular season.

Wow, it's a rout of Pats/Jets proportions. If passionate fans like the ones on this board are so strongly against the change, here's hoping they don't do it.

I'm against mainly as a stats Guy changes all the record which I find lame

Maybe when the league goes to an 18-game season, they'll compensate for the added wear on players by shortening quarters to 12 minutes. :cool:

Last edited:
The 18-game season seems like one of those things that's being talked about way to much for it not to happen. And the thing is, as much as I love football, so theoretically the more the better, I hate this idea. And I sense I'm not alone. The 16-game schedule works. And with all the talk about avoiding injuries, adding 2 more games seems like the last thing they should do.

What does everybody else think?

NFW should there be more games.
Just heard Kraft alibing that they already play 20 games and will just convert 2 preseason games and that fans want it. Not the way I see it. Yes fans would rather have less preseason games at full price but I think those extra two games put a lot of pressure on the players. We hear people talk all the time about Patriot players having played an extra season because of the number of playoff games they participated in. Regulars don't play that much in the pre season and in fact are lucky to get an equivalent to two full games out of four. The season is already prolonged into the cold weather, it doesn't need to be made any worse.

I'm really tired of hearing the players whine about having to play 18 games.

They're taking away 2 preseason games, so essentially there is not much of a difference and they get an additional bye week off to boot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes