PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Do you Think?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Warren94

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
we are cutting corey dillon and going running back in round 1?

I may be crazy, but thoughts and comments are appreciated.

I don't think we're cutting Dillon because we have tons of cap space, and even if his best years are behind him, he's a good insurance policy if we draft a rookie RB. Next year, however, Corey's in big trouble.

I'd like someone else's opinion on this as well. He just re-worked his deal, meaning maybe it would be a smaller cap hit if we did indeed cut him?

I can't imagine Dillon would ever agree to a restructure unless they assured him that he still had a role on this team. As a matter of fact, I'm shocked that he restructured at all.

There's absolutely no reason to cut Dillon.

That would just be dumb.

Yeah! You don't restructure a players contract and then turn around and cut him.

drew4008 said:
I'd like someone else's opinion on this as well. He just re-worked his deal, meaning maybe it would be a smaller cap hit if we did indeed cut him?
The cap hit wouldn't be affected, the now prorated bonus would accelerate to this year.

huskeralk said:
I can't imagine Dillon would ever agree to a restructure unless they assured him that he still had a role on this team. As a matter of fact, I'm shocked that he restructured at all.
restructuring to spread salary over future years is to a player's benefit. It doesn't change the money he earns, but it makes it tougher to cut him in future years because the cap hit for cutting is greater.

Actually it would be a larger cap hit. The only thing that would count against our cap would be the remaining signing bonus, base salaries wouldn't cut.

So, by changing base salary into signing bonus would just add that much more to the cap hit.

As for the original question, even if his contract was the same right now, I don't think we'd be cutting him to take a RB. After we drafted a RB, it's possible but still very unlikely. The Patriots won't make a roster move a month in advance to take a RB in the 1st round when all RBs worthy of a 1st round pick could be long gone before we get a chance.

I think Dillon has at least 2 maybe 3 productive years left. It make sense to me to draft a young RB (NOT in the first round, but pretty high up) and then we can have the young buc along with the old guy to bring him along.

Warren94 said:
we are cutting corey dillon and going running back in round 1?

I may be crazy, but thoughts and comments are appreciated.

Corey Dillon re-structured his deal. That means that there is absolutely NO WAY they will cut him. Its bad business. You want to guarantee that players not sign extensions and not resturcture to help the team, that is the way to do it. Cut someone who just lessened his cap hit to help you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes