PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Do you think we should have franchised Adam now??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sean Pa Patriot

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
any one want to second guess BB and SP

Sean Pa Patriot said:
any one want to second guess BB and SP

Nope! I don't have the b*lls they do and besides, they know a heck of a lot more than I do about football!!! I'll take BB and Scott over any other tandum in FO's.

No. He wasn't worth it. 4-8 from 40+ last year.

They made him the highest paid kicker in the league.

He wanted more. F**k him.

I am more determined and psyched for the season than ever.

We have the toughest management team in football.

The salary cap makes it almost impossible to repeat for this reason. Everybody thinks if they sign your players, they'll get the "secret" so they overpay.

We forget BB and Co. won a superbowl with a 6th round pick replacing a legend, a bunch of vet minimums and an overpayed oft injured "core".

Respect is spelled Re$$$pect and we have to pay the stars whatever they want or they'll leave.

Forget that every dollar comes from the hardworking middle class player that is really the secret of a Belichick team.

Hate to bring this old chestnut out again, but we need to be reminded it ain't easy.

"The question posed to NFL insiders was: Which team had the least chance of making the playoffs or going to the Super Bowl in the next five years? The Patriots were a unanimous choice, but several other teams will have more than their share of obstacles to overcome as well.

Almost all the scouts we spoke to gave the following reasons for picking the Patriots.

1. The Patriots are in salary-cap hell because they spent money unwisely due to their inability to evaluate their own talent.
2. They got almost nothing out of the drafts during the Pete Carroll era, although in many of those years they had two first-round picks. One year, they even had double picks in all the higher rounds of the draft.
3. In this day and age when everyone wants a mobile quarterback who can make plays with his feet, buy time and improvise, Patriots QB Drew Bledsoe gets F’s in all these areas. To compound matters, he was the highest-paid player in the league in 2000.
4. At the other offensive skill positions, the Patriots have just one player who is of starting quality — WR Terry Glenn.
5. On the offensive line, the only lineman whom scouts like is C Damien Woody, and many say he is a superior talent who is always overweight and will not push himself hard enough. "After all this time in the league, he still can’t even make the shotgun snap," said one scout.
6. On defense, the only upper-echelon player the Pats can count on is SS Lawyer Milloy, and the defensive backfield is a disaster area aside from him.
7. The Boston media is one of the most negative in the nation, and when they have a bad team to cover, they will blame everyone, especially the coaches and management team. In the past, Bill Belichick had a hard time coping with a very negative press that treated him unfairly, and it remains to be seen if he has reached the point where he can overcome the negative assault he will be hit with. It also remains to be seen how much time owner Robert Kraft will give the coach once the vultures start swooping around."

http://archive.profootballweekly.com/content/archives/features_2000/nflist_030501.asp

So let me get this straight. We should have franchised him for the third time which as I understand the new CBA would force us to pay him a salary equivalent to a franchised qb? Roger that.... :confused:

LOL.. F-NO.. he sucks.. and he was a kicker.. he had no distance, ever... he made 2 nice kicks in the snow... that's it... ban the guy from NE... he's a POS.

No they should not have franchised him. BB and Pioli had the discipline to know you could not franchise a player without a CBA agrrement in place. Without an agreement, you had no idea what it would do to you cap.

If BB and Pioli didn't think he was worth the money required to lock him up long term, then why would he be worth a franchise tag.

I think that BB & SP made a calculated decision that NOT franchising AV this year gave them a better shot at re-signing him.

They were obviously wrong, and the Perfect Storm of a new CBA and mucho cap money and other teams moving their kickers around and entering the market created a situation where there were a lot of bidders for his services.

$3.2M guaranteed 2006 money for a kicker with a bad back. No

Last edited:
The Patriots fail to re sign Adam. Now the Pats don't have a kicker. In fact, all I've seen is players going OUT the door, and none coming in so far.

I have read stories about the Patriots being interested in Paul Edinger and Vanderjerk.

They have GOT to be kidding!

Edinger is about as dependable as the weather. Vanderjerk has a big mouth and not much talent. I watched Edinger come completely unglued when he was a Chicago Bear. It was a miracle when he made a kick.

This is a disaster no matter how you put it.

bad back, $3.2m

mgteich said:
that's the question, ain't it?
for me a kicker like AV gets to prove he can't cut it, for 1 season's contract, BEFORE letting him go. IMO kickers with his track record are worth 1 year's risk. looks like the patriots are letting him go before, not after, he demonstrates he can't cut it anymore.
he's part of the GOOD history. sad to see him go. will be hard to watch him kick for the dolts. hope to high heavens he doesn't beat patriots with a kick anytime soon.

Adam was given a year, that year was 2005.

Adam had a bad back in 2004. He was franchised, guaranteeing him $2.7M and a year to show whether he was the top kicker in the league, a kicker in the middle or somewhere in between, and to show what his range was after recovery.

Adam Viniatieri, one of the best kickers in the history of the NFL, was an average kicker last year. His kickoffs were short, his FG range continued to decline, and his FG percentage was about average.

I don't think bb would have paid $2M a year to someone else in his physical health, with his current abilities. Indy has chosen to sign him, and likely keep two kickers on the roster. Congrats to Adam for taking up a lot of colt money.

ilduce06410 said:
that's the question, ain't it?
for me a kicker like AV gets to prove he can't cut it, for 1 season's contract, BEFORE letting him go. IMO kickers with his track record are worth 1 year's risk. looks like the patriots are letting him go before, not after, he demonstrates he can't cut it anymore.
he's part of the GOOD history. sad to see him go. will be hard to watch him kick for the dolts. hope to high heavens he doesn't beat patriots with a kick anytime soon.

mgteich said:

LOL The guy hasn't missed a game in his career or a game winning kick since 1999.

Given they were supposedly willing to pay him as the highest paid kicker in the league in 2006 and "keep him the highest paid kicker" whatever that meant to them, it would have saved them at least $1.5 million over the franchise tag to just sign him to this deal themselves.....so no.

No.
Its time to move on with younger stronger healthier players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back