PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Do you think the Sawx need a new ballpark?

From what I've read, Fenway can reach 39,900 seats without major modifications and it can reach up to 45,000 seats with an expansion of the upper decks. So I don't think they'll need a new ballpark anytime soon.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fenway_Park

The sox are past the point of no return on this one - in terms of finding the land, financing a new ballpark and overcoming the opposition of those who (rightly) view Fenway as a national treasure, its just not going to happen

I'd also question the cost benefit of bringing attendance up to, what, another 15,000 more in a new ballpark?

The vast majority of the Red Sox income is from TV rights and other marketing - not that ticket and concession sales are insignificant, but its not going to make or break the profitability of the team - nor truly offset the investment for a new ballpark

Of course, anyone who has sat in a far too small chair, that for some reason is facing 50 degrees away from the direction it should be facing, can't help but have the dreams of a new stadium with comfortable seating facing homeplate go through their head - but its just not going to happen in our lifetimes

From what I've read, Fenway can reach 39,900 seats without major modifications and it can reach up to 45,000 seats with an expansion of the upper decks. So I don't think they'll need a new ballpark anytime soon.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fenway_Park
I'm glad wikipedia thinks that its possible.

I find it hard to believe that they'd be able to build an entire upper deck in an offseason unless they have reason to believe that the park doesn't need to be reinforced in the process. But even if I'm wrong and thats possible, increasing the capacity that much without actually improving the conditions and the space around the park will open up more problems while still not solving everything.

They've had a great architect in to do the renovations, and shes been able to add about 4,000 seats. Adding in an additional 10,000+ would be a close to impossible task.

I'm not an architect, but I'm fairly sure that the bleacher section would not be able to support an entire upper deck without being taken apart, reinforced, and then completely rebuilt. And that is something they would not be able to do in a single offseason. It took them the entire offseason (and into spring training) to change the .406 club and the roof deck seats, so doing something like this would take a whole lot longer.

Because they haven't stated, or done all of the recomendations from that architect, doesn't mean she didn't draw up plans or could have drawn up those plans to handle an additional 10,000 fans. For instance, there is additional room for the Red Sox clubhouse, etc. She recommended that they switch dugouts. Do not know if the Sox are moving dugouts, its almost like building a new stadium I guess. Article today in the Chicago Tribune, Charles Street Jail becomes posh hotel. Just another example of renovating an old structure.

Because they haven't stated, or done all of the recomendations from that architect, doesn't mean she didn't draw up plans or could have drawn up those plans to handle an additional 10,000 fans. For instance, there is additional room for the Red Sox clubhouse, etc. She recommended that they switch dugouts. Do not know if the Sox are moving dugouts, its almost like building a new stadium I guess. Article today in the Chicago Tribune, Charles Street Jail becomes posh hotel. Just another example of renovating an old structure.
She may have developed plans on what to do but its not something that would be realistic unless they did the renovations during the season. They were behind schedule on the renovations they made this past offseason and didn't finish them until the very last minute. If they barely manged to fit in those renovations I doubt they'd be able to demolish a third of the ballpark, build it back up with reinforcements, and then add on an entire deck in a 5 month period during the dead of winter.

Its a piece of cake to renovate an old jail because its not occupied and they're not on time constraints. If you remember the initial plan was to have the hotel open early this year. Then they moved the opening date to summer. Now its actually opening in late October. Huge renovations like that take time, and are frequently behind schedule. They don't have the luxury of time when it comes to renovating something like Fenway.

Even if they renovate the park ... what they have done outside cannot be replicated. On game days it's a city within a city over there. the atmosphere outside similar to tailgating at a Patriots game in terms of fans interacting.

I'm 48 now, and I remember as a kid (I liked Yaz & Reggie Smith) we would find a parking spot ... walk to Fenway picking up a program and some peanuts on the way. I remember 1 souvenir shop right next to the park, but i never went in. that was it, a shop or two ... the peanut and sausage vendors and the park. It would be a major mistake if they were to move IMO, my story above pales in comparison to what the fans see and experience from parking to their seats.

She may have developed plans on what to do but its not something that would be realistic unless they did the renovations during the season. They were behind schedule on the renovations they made this past offseason and didn't finish them until the very last minute. If they barely manged to fit in those renovations I doubt they'd be able to demolish a third of the ballpark, build it back up with reinforcements, and then add on an entire deck in a 5 month period during the dead of winter.

Its a piece of cake to renovate an old jail because its not occupied and they're not on time constraints. If you remember the initial plan was to have the hotel open early this year. Then they moved the opening date to summer. Now its actually opening in late October. Huge renovations like that take time, and are frequently behind schedule. They don't have the luxury of time when it comes to renovating something like Fenway.

Whatever it takes, if it means playing somewhere else until its renovated, then do it. For all the reasons I have mentioned, you stay with the original vs a replica.

Guys...come on to the game day thread. Its time. Lets cheerup.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back