Welcome to PatsFans.com

Do you think the liberals will prevail in Iran?

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Patters, Jun 18, 2009.

1. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +259 / 10 / -11

Those who are fighting the right-wing government of Iran seem to be poised for revolution, and the mood in the country sounds amazing. You probably read that several of their soccer players sported green armbands (symbols of Mousavi) in their game against South Korea. Also, supposedly even the State media is reporting some fairly objective stories:

Iran Updates (VIDEO): Live-Blogging The Uprising

Imagine if in Iran, like here, the people threw out the militaristic, nationalistic, theocracy! Of course, they're having a harder time because their electoral institutions are more corrupt than ours. I think it would be marvelous if they succeeded. It's interesting to watch how Obama plays this. He's been one of the bolder western leaders (though Sarkozy was very outspoken against the Iranian government today), but I guess he thinks American interests require us to be prepared in the likelihood that the current regime holds onto power. I think that's the reason that the American right is no more vocal on this issue than the left.
  2. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

No, I think the current regime of self-appointed haters of all decency are going to lose. In fact they've already lost.

//
  3. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +657 / 2 / -9

Their religion has a lot to do with their "rotteness" Right Or Left.
  4. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

I don't think those people are 'liberals' I think they are an opposition party....

but to answer your question, you might wanna ask the "Supreme Leader".....
  5. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +127 / 4 / -0

#91 Jersey

I find it increadably ironic that the conservatives in this country hate the conservatives in Iran and want them gone.
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2009
  6. reflexblue

Ratings:
    +127 / 4 / -0

#91 Jersey

Why do you hate them for there conservatives like yourself. If Moon ran a country Iran is what it probably would look like.
  7. Patriot_in_NY

Patriot_in_NY Rookie

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0

No wonder no one takes you serious. All bluster, no substance. :rolleyes:
  8. Patriot_in_NY

Patriot_in_NY Rookie

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0

Their left and right are not really comparable to ours, much as you'd like to think otherwise. They live in a dictatorship essentially. The guy they are electing is basically powerless anyway, so it's not really even about that.

This is the people standing up to a dictatorship. It's not really a left/right thing, at least as it compares to our system.

Nice try though. ;)
  9. reflexblue

Ratings:
    +127 / 4 / -0

#91 Jersey

You mean like yourself? :rolleyes:
  10. Patriot_in_NY

Patriot_in_NY Rookie

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0

Intelligent response...... "I know you are but what am I" :singing:

I'll happily debate this with you. Feel free to go up a post or to and formulate a reasonable response. We can debate from there. We'll see who does a better job. I'm fairly confident, because it's quite clear you know little about Iran.
  11. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +259 / 10 / -11

From a values point of view, they are right wing and share many of views of many American conservatives: exceptionalism, don't answer to the UN, don't answer to the world community, build nuclear weapons, outlaw abortion, outlaw gay rights, pro-death penalty, no separation of church and state, etc. And, frankly, it's obviously not a dictatorship, though it's laws are certainly more conservative than ours thanks to the mix of church and state.
  12. reflexblue

Ratings:
    +127 / 4 / -0

#91 Jersey

I've been watching this since before the election, and started a thread Saterday about the begining of the end of Iran. Where have you been? The Iranian gov. is conservative, the conservaties here are calling for their overthrow. Conservatives such as McCain are pushing Obama to take a tougher stance. So yes the conservatives here are pushing for the overthrow of conservatives there, and your disputing this?
  13. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

funny how you get bashed for pointing out "irony".....as having no substance...
  14. reflexblue

Ratings:
    +127 / 4 / -0

#91 Jersey

Yeah was there really any subsatance in attacking irony, must have touched a nerve.
  15. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

For the record...I agree that its Ironic.

thus thought provoking

thuis having substance
  16. PatsFanInEaglesLand

PatsFanInEaglesLand Rookie

Ratings:
    +99 / 7 / -14

#37 Jersey

Iran has socialized medicine.
  17. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

everyone else in the world does!
  18. Patriot_in_NY

Patriot_in_NY Rookie

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0

Their's is a theocracy. EVERYTHING must go through through the ruling few. They have a puppet democratic practice (just exposed in this last election), but it's just that. Puppet. As for "exceptionalism, don't answer to the UN, don't answer to the world community, build nuclear weapons", those are absolutely NOT core tenets of the "conservatism". In fact, all have been practiced by libs and dems equally in the past 50 years or so of our history, depending on the objective and who was in power.

They "outlaw abortion, outlaw gay rights, pro-death penalty" because those are CORE tenets of their religion, from which their government derives it's power. It's not "politically" driven. This revolt has nothing to do with those practices. Many, if not most, of those demonstrators out there believe in those ideals because it is part of their religious learnings. They are not demonstrating againt Islam here.

As for "no separation of church and state"........ Duh, the religion IS their state. Again, it's their system of government, not a political consideration.

The fact that you even posted this is a pretty clear indication of where your knowledge level is for this situation :confused:

First off, I'm not in here every day. Second, if you've been watching, you should probably have a better idea of what's actually going on. The people (all people, not just their lib/cons) are revolting because the stealing of the vote from the people was the last straw in a LONG LINE of wrongs put upon them by a repressive system of government based in strict Islamic theocracy. They rule in a tyrannical way (at least lately) and the people have had enough of that. It's not even that they are looking for a end to "conservatism" in their country. Actually, they lived pretty freely and peacefully for quite awhile up until about 10 years ago. Then the repression started and has gotten worse and worse. The people HATE it. Hell, the guy they are looking to elect is practically just as conservative as the guy they want out. It's the point that it happened, not the political ideology of the candidates.

No, this is not about political ideology, and more about being feed up with a terrible economic situation, a repressive government the MEDDLES into almost EVERY aspect of their lives (sound familiar libs :eek: ), and the fact that they no longer accept a group of old "religious tarts" dictating every aspect of their lives to them. Them being a population that is primarily under 30, modern, and hungering for a more "western" cosmopolitan lifestyle and a less strictly Islamic way of life.

If you want to pigeon hole this into a liberal and conservative angle to describe why/how the situation arrived to where it is today, then you are likely going to not fully comprehend the situation. It is way more complicated then that.

btw...... The average Iranian wants Nukes, doesn't really care about better relations with the west (they just want their lifestyle), is religious and their beliefs don't fall to far outside the norm for a Islamic state. They just are tired of the sh!t being thrust on them from a ruling few and having NO voice. It's NOTHING like our two party-system and political ideology.
  19. reflexblue

Ratings:
    +127 / 4 / -0

#91 Jersey

Very good PINY You've been paying attention. But they are STILL Conservaives. And what do those conservatives in Iran have in common with those in the US?

authoritarianism
    fear
    secrecy
    dogmatism
    greed
    selfishness
    indifference
    self-righteousness
    intolerance
    division
    hierarchy
    arrogance
    fundamentalism
    hypocrisy
    violence, brutality, cruelty

HMMM, Sounds familiar
  20. alvinnf

alvinnf Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 1 / -0

Unlike fire and oxygen, idealism and Iran do not go hand and hand. You friggin' goody goodies need to get a grip. Yes' through the spectrum of your liberal eyes I'm sure you see hope. What I see is dysfunction and a cast system with martyrdome at the forefront.....