PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Do you think the Jets go After Hoyer next year?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TyronePoole

Banned
Reaction score
Realistically the Jets are probably going to be drafting around the middle of the first round and not really in line for a can't miss QB. Does anyone think there's a chance they go after Hoyer thinking that A) this is their chance to cash in on that Defense and B) Hoyer has extra value from knowing the pats inside and out? it seems like even with the stupidity epidemic in New Jersey they are going to come to the end of the road with their current "QBs" after this season. I kind of think it would be a decent move for them.

Realistically the Jets are probably going to be drafting around the middle of the first round and not really in line for a can't miss QB. Does anyone think there's a chance they go after Hoyer thinking that A) this is their chance to cash in on that Defense and B) Hoyer has extra value from knowing the pats inside and out? it seems like even with the stupidity epidemic in New Jersey they are going to come to the end of the road with their current "QBs" after this season. I kind of think it would be a decent move for them.

If they did, they'd ruin him in any number of ways -- including clueless coaching and putting him behind a poor offensive line. Unless they offered him a boatload of cash, Hoyer probably is too smart to go there.

If they did, they'd ruin him in any number of ways -- including clueless coaching and putting him behind a poor offensive line. Unless they offered him a boatload of cash, Hoyer probably is too smart to go there.

clap.gif
clap.gif
clap.gif
clap.gif

Last edited:
Anything's possible, but I don't think the Jets would go with yet another QB of questionable arm strength who is going to need time to develop.

Last edited:
Sanchez's $8.25M guaranteed salary means they're pretty stuck with him.

And I don't think Hoyer is that stupid. I think he'll end up somewhere like Arizona.

Or KC...heh

counting chickens in here...there is a full season waiting to be played...next year may as well be a thousand years away..Hoyer may be called on to play THIS season...he may really show up...he could really STB...he could sit behind Brady all season and into the post season without taking a snap...and decide to stay with the Pats for NEXT season...the Jets meanwhile...well...I mean, let's just enjoy the show for once...

The JETS already have their Hoyer on the roster - his name is McElroy - and they won't give him the time of day for fear he shows up the other two. And frankly they have so many issues Tannenbaum has allowed to fester like that hot mess of an OL and Revis contractual situation darkening their horizen the QB conundum is almost an afterthought going forward. They appear poised to be making wholesale changes in the FO and coaching ranks next season.

It's all about the PSLs. Hoyer won't generate the hype and publicity that some kid out of college will. Also, Hoyer would need to perform right away while a draftee buys Tanny another couple years before losing his job. Rex will take the fall for this season even though he's probably the one who convinced the front office to draft D instead of fixing the excerable OL.

Agree that Hoyer would be wise enough to eschew any Rats offer anyway.

And McElroy is the guy I'd have run my O in NY if I deeply offended the Lord and was sentenced there as extreme Purgatory.

Hey, I wonder what horrific sin Tebow is atoning for?

Last edited:
If the Jets signed Hoyer, would only perpetuate the QB controversy that will plague that team in the foreseeable future..

They could then have stiff competition between four middle of the pack quarterbacks...

Am I missing something? Was he released or going to be released? I thought he was going to be Brady's backup.

EDIT: Just realized it says next year, not week. Wow me

Last edited:
The JETS already have their Hoyer on the roster - his name is McElroy - and they won't give him the time of day for fear he shows up the other two. And frankly they have so many issues Tannenbaum has allowed to fester like that hot mess of an OL and Revis contractual situation darkening their horizen the QB conundum is almost an afterthought going forward. They appear poised to be making wholesale changes in the FO and coaching ranks next season.

This is a great post. McElroy is a great developmental QB prospect, with all of the attributes that Sanchez and Tebow lack.

And I don't think Hoyer is that stupid. I think he'll end up somewhere like Arizona.

They can cut Sanchez if they are drafting another QB with their first pick and are willing to go with Tebow until the QB is ready. That said, they probably won't be able to sign another QB capable of competing for the starting job.

They are about $15-20 million over the cap. They can get to the cap with cutting the dead weight (Pace, Hunter, Smith, Scott), but they will have a lot of holes to fill. They are unlikely to invest in a new QB unless they draft another one in the first round.

Here's the deal. When the Jets restructured Sanchez's deal it created 2 effects. It locked Sanchez into the team until after the 2013 season. BUT, it makes it more cap friendly to dump him any season after that. In other words, for getting that 2 year guarantee, the Jets essentially have Sanchez under contract, but with a year to year team option....but not until AFTER the 2013 season.

Hoyer's problem is that there is simply not enough game tape on him for ANY GM give him a starters job, or the contract that goes with it. At best, he'll go somewhere where he can at least compete for a starting job, and hold the back up role if he loses. I don't think anyone is going to pay him a lot of money or even offer up a draft pick in exchange for his services.

He has more value to the Pats right now than to any other team. Besides, did any of you REALLY watch him in the Saints game and say "Wow, this guy should be a starter in the NFL". I know I didn't. It wasn't a bad job, but nothing that "popped".

Here's a possible scenario that might be in Hoyer's future. The Pats decide that Mallet simply can't process the information fast enough to allow him to use his natural talent, and move on from him, like O'Connell, and resign Hoyer with a very moderate raise to be Brady's back up until he retires.

Here's the deal. When the Jets restructured Sanchez's deal it created 2 effects. It locked Sanchez into the team until after the 2013 season. BUT, it makes it more cap friendly to dump him any season after that. In other words, for getting that 2 year guarantee, the Jets essentially have Sanchez under contract, but with a year to year team option....but not until AFTER the 2013 season.

Hoyer's problem is that there is simply not enough game tape on him for ANY GM give him a starters job, or the contract that goes with it. At best, he'll go somewhere where he can at least compete for a starting job, and hold the back up role if he loses. I don't think anyone is going to pay him a lot of money or even offer up a draft pick in exchange for his services.

He has more value to the Pats right now than to any other team. Besides, did any of you REALLY watch him in the Saints game and say "Wow, this guy should be a starter in the NFL". I know I didn't. It wasn't a bad job, but nothing that "popped".

Here's a possible scenario that might be in Hoyer's future. The Pats decide that Mallet simply can't process the information fast enough to allow him to use his natural talent, and move on from him, like O'Connell, and resign Hoyer with a very moderate raise to be Brady's back up until he retires.

That is a very plausible scenario, and given the roster crunch, one that wouldn't surprise me at all.

If the Pats are not convinced that Mallet can be their future starter, then it may be time to cut bait with him, free up a roster spot, and pick up a late pick for him.

Last edited:

Great point and knowing guaranteed money is essential before making an informed decision on which players will get cut. No matter how bad Sanchez plays he will be on the Jets for the next 2 years at minimum solely because of his cap number.

The Jets have never thought long term and probably never will. It's the main reason they have less AFC East titles than the Baltimore Colts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes