PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

DO you think that at the end of the year, Moss will take less money again to stay?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: DO you think that at the end of the year, Moss will take less money again to stay

Who is Chad Jackson?
A great young receiver out of GT.

Yeah, but you never addressed your comments on stockpiling money... Dillon didn't command a particularly large amount of money and played admirably while injured the last two years he was here. Him hitting his wife had nothing to do with that.

His arrest record includes battery for involvement in a racially-charged fight, a probation violation for smoking marijuana, and misdemeanor traffic violation. Big deal. He's a football player, not a saint, but that doesn't change the fact that by all accounts (including his own) he loves being a New England Patriot and has developed a great chemistry with Tom Brady.

True that. But that was at the end of his career. Nobody wanted him after you guys cut him. He said the same thing the first couple of years in Cincy. Then the attitude grew. It's hard to say if he would have stayed on the same terms if he played another few years. He was a moody person. Just his nature.

Re: DO you think that at the end of the year, Moss will take less money again to stay

A great young receiver out of GT.

That's Calvin Johnson.

I think he re-signs with the team. 3 years 20 mill

That's Calvin Johnson.

My bad. Your right.
Chad has role player written all over him. But Brady has worked with less so who knows.

This could end up being the bright side of losing a first round pick this year. We will have extra $$$ to offer Moss a fair deal. I would like to see him stay beyond this year

Late first round picks dont make squat compared to what Moss will command,you are lookign at a $6-7 million SB and total value of $13-15 million vs a $20 million minimum Sb with a total value of at least $50 million.....if you are lucky.

If Moss continues to put up these numbers you can bet he is going to want BIG bucks to resign,show me one receiver who has given anyone a discount to stay around.....not happening.The Pats are going to have to break out the check book.

I think he'll take a LOT of money, but slightly less than he could command on the open market. I'd be very surprised if he leaves. I think he feels he's found a home, not just in this offense but in this organization and system. It provides the structure and discipline that he clearly craves and excels in, and it provides an opportunity for him to be WHO HE IS and to be the best he can be. And he's got Brady throwing him the ball. I think he stays.

Although Patriots fans are already showing Moss a lot of love, if he keeps doing things like giving balls to children, he'll endear himself to us forever...so far, I like everything I see about the man!

Late first round picks dont make squat compared to what Moss will command,you are lookign at a $6-7 million SB and total value of $13-15 million vs a $20 million minimum Sb with a total value of at least $50 million.....if you are lucky.

If Moss continues to put up these numbers you can bet he is going to want BIG bucks to resign,show me one receiver who has given anyone a discount to stay around.....not happening.The Pats are going to have to break out the check book.

We don't need to show you because there's always a first time for everything. And "if" there was going to be a first time, the Patriots would be the team a player would do it for.

Call me a homer if you want, but it's also the truth. How do you think we have soooo many good players on this team when every team has the same amount to spend?

The answer: Players WANT to play for the Patriots.:cool:

Last edited:

His arrest record includes battery for involvement in a racially-charged fight, a probation violation for smoking marijuana, and misdemeanor traffic violation. Big deal.

Well, he was also charged with smacking his wife around, and that to me is a big deal. Don't get me wrong, as a RB, I loved watching the guy rumble for 30 yard gains by stiff arming and plowing would be tacklers around, but as a person and even as a Patriot, he was hardly one of my favorite players.

As for Moss, I think he'll take a slight discount to stay, but it'll still have to be near market rate.

Last edited:

Well, he was also charged with smacking his wife around, and that to me is a big deal. Don't get me wrong, as a RB, I loved watching the guy rumble for 30 yard gains by stiff arming and plowing would be tacklers around, but as a person and even as a Patriot, he was hardly one of my favorite players.

As for Moss, I think he'll take a slight discount to stay, but it'll still have to be near market rate.

I was talking about Moss being charged with battery and possession of marijuana. Dillon actually has a much, much longer (and more serious) record than Moss: five counts of assault, one count intent to sell crack cocaine to a police officer, two counts of resisting arrest, three counts of obstruction of justice, two counts of theft, two counts of malicious mischief, two counts of reckless endangerment, one count of criminal trespass, and one count of driving under the influence. He was arrested 11 times before the age of 17.

Moss merely has one count of battery (in a race-related fight in high school), possession of marijuana (violation of probation), and a misdemeanor traffic violation (which is what he was charged for in the "bumping the meter maid" incident).

These guys aren't saints, but Moss is nowhere near Dillon's level (or Dave Meggett's, who beat up prostitutes and stole their money on a fairly regular basis).

And prior to Moss, when was the last time you heard of a player tear up a 2 year,$20 mil contract for a one year 3-5 mil contract? I dont think its ever been done. And along with the drastic reduction in contract, his performance has only increased by about 800%.

So while I dont think Moss is going to play next year for 3 mil, its my belief that if he stays healthy & continues to produce they'll reach middle ground (maybe 7-8 mil/year) that makes him respectably paid, but not at the level he could get in free agency. If he continues this streak, and has career high numbers, my guess is he winds up with 11mil/year in free agency. If he comes back down a bit, I still think he's good for 9-10mil in free agency.

Sign him now to 2 years 20 million incentive based and don't look back!!

How about this contract structure if we are to randomly speculate. Right now, Miguel thinks the Patriots have ~6 million in uncommitted cap room for this year, and if I remember my capology correctly, up until IIRC Week 10 of a given season, signing bonuses can be prorated against the current season as well as future seasons for new extensions. So how about something like this ---

Week 9, 2007 the Patriots announce a 6 year extension with Randy Moss that keeps Moss in New England through 2013 season with great rejoicing and hopefully multiple Lombardis coming... and the deal is structured as such

5 million dollar roster bonus to be paid by the Wednesday after Week 10, and a 7 million dollar single tier signing bonus.

2007 additional cap hit 6 million (5 million roster bonus, 1 mil SB amortized)

2008 Salary: 4 million, cap hit 5 million (1 mil SB bonus amortized) cap cost to cut 5 million

2009: Salary 6 million cap hit 7 million (1 mil SB amortized) cap cost to cut 4 million, cap savings 2 million if cut

Decision Point 1: 2010 Season Salary 5 million, Roster Bonus 3 million, cap hit 9 million (1 mil SB amortized), cap cost to cut 3 million, cap savings if cut 5 million

2011: Salary 8 million, Roster Bonus 2 million cap hit 11 million (1 mil SB amortized) cap cost to cut 2 million cap savings if cut 8 million

2012 Salary --- something absurd, cut, retire or renogoatiate

2013 Salary --- --- something absurd, cut, retire or renogoatiate

This contract structure can be seen as a 2 year extension at 12 million guaranteed, and total new money of 22 million in the 2008 and 2009 season, with a cost of cutting Moss after '09 of 4 million in dead money to be spread in either $4 mil in 2010 or 1 mil 2010 and 3 mil in 2011, or a three year deal with 12 million guaranteed and 30 million in new money through 2010.

I'm from MN... always been a Vikings and Pats fan. Moss is not that bad of a person. The media talks about the bad things that he's done but there's also alot of good things that he's done in the past for the community and children of MN. To me Moss is one of them people who say it like it is. It might make him look bad or sound bad but at least he's being real and up front about it.

People talk about how Moss quited in Oakland... true he did but you gotta look at the whole situation. Moss's QB was Kerry Collins... the same guy who quited on the Panthers during the football season. The other QB... Aron Brooks... :(

Here's a article on Moss that you guys might not know about. Enjoy...

As a Minnesota native, and loyal fan of the Vikings, here is the “other” side of Moss. For some reason, the national media decided not to show this public defense of Moss that appeared in the Minneapolis Star-Tribune on January 13. A representative from St. Joseph’s Home for Children wrote in a letter, “…And while talking about and writing about you makes for great radio, great television ratings and newspaper profit, trashing you doesn’t feed a homeless family or comfort a frightened child. You know how to do this…You do not take credit or publicize your charitable efforts. Never forget, Randy, that your private kindness to others is the measure of who you really are…” This is the other side of Moss.

I bet you also didn’t see Moss during a preseason game unknowingly go over to punter Darren Bennett’s son who suffers from muscular dystrophy and twice hand him a touchdown ball he caught. He’s been giving kids his touchdown balls all year at home games. I bet you also didn’t know that during Moss’ rookie training camp in 1998, he met a two-year-old girl from South Dakota. Moss and this young girl named Kassi became fast friends. The following year, Moss got her and her family field passes and ate lunch together in the cafeteria several times. In 2000, Kassi was diagnosed with leukemia. Moss took the time to send birthday presents and visit her in the hospital. Kassi and her family have been Moss’ VIP guests to every training camp since, even with her illness. The only thing Moss asks in return is a kiss on the cheek. So while the media likes to shine light on his field antics and his run-in with a traffic agent, just remember that Moss really grows out of the sunlight.

If Moss wants to go to the HOF he will take a discount, but he won't be disrespected with just 3 million a year after what he (may) accomplish(ed). Stallworth was going to make #1 WR money next year with the Pats, but chances are they will cut Stallworth and give that money to Moss. CJ can take Stallworth's spot.

Washington is due to make a big number next year too. Unless things change, he won't be here either and part of his money will go to Jabbar and part to another replacement part to be named later.

Way to early, but IMO, I think the WR will not be a huge concern for us next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back