Welcome to PatsFans.com

Do you think Republicans are crossing over to spite the Democrats?

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Patters, Feb 14, 2008.

1. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +169 / 4 / -4

There have been several claims and even an article in the Washington Post talking about the fact that some Republicans, knowing McCain had it locked up, crossed over in Virginia to vote for Obama because they think he is easier to beat. In other states, I've heard claims that Republicans crossed over to vote for Hillary for the same reason. While I'm sure there are some devious motivated voters (on both sides), I think it must be a very small number.

I'm quite politically active, but even if I could I would never cross over and vote for Huckabee, for instance, because I thought he was easier to beat. Do you think there is a lot of that kind of crap going on?
  2. Stokes

Stokes Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

I can't see it, especially since in the Dem race delegates are given out proportionally, so even swinging the vote a few percentage points does essentially nothing. Maybe a small percentage of dolts do this, but I don't think its widespread.

I saw on CNN last night a calculation of delegates available, and for either Hillary or Obama to get to the 2000 and change they need they'd have to sweep all the remaining states with like 80-90% of the vote. Looks like its coming down to the superdelegates. Boy I'd love to see Obama win the popular vote and Hillary get the nomination because of backroom deals, talk about a great way to put off voters!
  3. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +169 / 4 / -4

If Hillary keeps it close, then the Florida and Michigan delegates become more important, and a rationale could be created for the Superdelegates to give her the nomination. If, on the other hand, Obama is ahead by 100 or more delegates, then the Democrats will certainly give him the nomination. I think he will win because he has a superb campaign going. Hillary does not.
  4. Stokes

Stokes Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

The timing is killing her, she's got nothing going for her until Texas and Ohio, in March and by then the momentum for Obama may have erased her leads there.

If its only a 100 delegate advantage for Obama do you think that's enough to swing the superdelegates? I think it'll have to be more than that.

I also wonder what they could possibly do about Florida and especially Michigan where Obama wasn't even on the ballot. What a mess. It sure is exciting though! All I've got to watch in my own party is figuring out the % of evangelicals in each state by how close Jesus Huckabee comes to McCain.
  5. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +373 / 1 / -9

Anything and everything is possible in politics, in Chicago a few years ago dead people rose from their graves, staggered to the poles, Voted, then went back to the cemetery and buried themselves, "there were all democrats" :singing::singing:
  6. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +131 / 7 / -13

A lot of conservatives want to see the Clinton's out of the political landscape.
  7. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +306 / 9 / -9

#24 Jersey

I have a (R) friend at work who's not registered with a party so he could vote for a (D) but not an (R) in the primary. He voted for Obama because he hates Hillary so much. I told him he should vote for Hillary as she's easier to beat.

I would do what I think is in the country's best interest. The Democrats should only allow registered (D)s to vote in their primary, that would solve the problem.