PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Do you think Kiper knows what the coaches know?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RayClay

Hall of Fame Poster
Reaction score
I don't. Seems to me he is totally mystified by some pretty decent picks and touts lots of busts every year.

If he's clueless about Tavon, I'm actually encouraged. Who's to say a few coaches didn't go to Illinois looking for someone else and made a note about this guy?

What exactly does Kyper know about playing football anyway? I don't think BB decides to spend a two on a seventh round pick for no reason, I really don't.

If I'm looking for draft pick and prospect analysis, Kiper Jr is one of the last resources I look at.

I think you are being very unkind to him.Do you think he has to he staff / money of a NFL team`s scouting department.

I do not think so , yet he does the best he can. I will bet his avg oh Hits are close to say BB the last 3 yrs and his 33 picks and the success rates.

BB is one of the best in business , throw piolli in there too. one of best in GM role and i bet there avg are not very off from this guy.

satz

Last edited:
I don't like Kiper either, but I can't say I like this pick at all.

Why does anybody watch ESPN's coverage minus not having NFLN?

I'm not saying Kiper doesn't do a good job of making lists of players and height, weight 40 time etc.

But he's never played football or worked for a football team as far as i can tell. So what are his criteria for putting one guy ahead of another?

If a coach finds a steady unheralded player and wants to grab him before anyone else gets the same idea, the last thing he is going to do is tell Kiper, because it will be all over the media.

BB actually wanted to hire Joel Buschbaum, the man responsible for creating the whole industry Kiper has taken up. I don't notice him consulting Kiper, though i may have missed something. I'm sure at least one coach was keeping an eye on this kid, the coaching and scouting fraternity is pretty tight and hard to keep secrets within, I'm guessing.

Notice Gruden had a positive quote from Coach Zook when Kiper was stymied. Ex-coach Gruden.

I don't. Seems to me he is totally mystified by some pretty decent picks and touts lots of busts every year.

If he's clueless about Tavon, I'm actually encouraged. Who's to say a few coaches didn't go to Illinois looking for someone else and made a note about this guy?

What exactly does Kyper know about playing football anyway? I don't think BB decides to spend a two on a seventh round pick for no reason, I really don't.

Hey, I hope you're right. Your assessment here makes sense. But NFP, among others, didn't even list Wilson among the 30+ safeties rated for the draft - half of which weren't likely to be drafted at all.

I don't complain about BB's picks - I give them and BB some time - but this pick is so far off primarily because of the talent still on the board that had to be rated much, much higher even by the Pats. There were still several 1st round talents hanging around when Wilson was picked. That's what makes this a deflating pick. Vinny Curry or Tavin Wilson? Rueben Randle or Wilson? I could go on the point is obvious...

I don't know. I am still waiting Andre "Koko B" Ware to change the way the QB position is played.

That was pretty funny, especially Keith Olbermann's mustache.

Tobin was obviously being an a hole and I'm not disputing Kiper's value as a compiler of draft information, I just don't think he knows what teams look for.

I can't imagine it's too difficult to come up with consensus first round picks, but I don't know about accuracy after that.

Last edited:
Hey, I hope you're right. Your assessment here makes sense. But NFP, among others, didn't even list Wilson among the 30+ safeties rated for the draft - half of which weren't likely to be drafted at all.

I don't complain about BB's picks - I give them and BB some time - but this pick is so far off primarily because of the talent still on the board that had to be rated much, much higher even by the Pats. There were still several 1st round talents hanging around when Wilson was picked. That's what makes this a deflating pick. Vinny Curry or Tavin Wilson? Rueben Randle or Wilson? I could go on the point is obvious...

we could've used some DLine depth... Reyes, Still, Ta'Amu... not that they'd be a superstar pro bowler... but we need more big bodies on that line...

They're probably right on most of them, but do you think they scout like a pro team does? I imagine pro scouts were going there and looking on film multiple times to see Mercilus and Jarvon jenkins and out of the corner of their eye kept noticing an unspectacular but steady CB/safety. Guys like BJGE and Welker weren't picked either.

I'm sure these guys talk and BB saw some otrher team looking at this steady player and he needed a steady fs type (we sure as hell do).

I mean this is not spectacular, but the guy seems to produce.

2011: 13 games, 13 games started, 81 tackles, 6.5 tackles for loss, 6 pass break-ups, 1 interception, 1 forced fumble, 1 sack, 2 fumbles recovered, 1 touchdown

Plus, he's supposed to be an ace gunner.

So, assuming this guy gives us the most value right away in the secondary, certainly steady, let's presume coachable, why would we care how media guides rated him?

Pro scouts find players while looking at someone else all the time.

Last edited:
This is one of those picks it's sort of pointless to analyze too much. If he turns out to be a good player, then great. But obviously you can't look too deeply at a pick like this right away from a strategic--should have traded down and still gotten him, should have picked somebody else, etc.--perspective. Because who knows. It's a wait and see kind of thing. Move along.

Basically it comes down to Bill Belichick versus Mel Kiper. Even though I've definitely become much more critical of BB the last few years this really is a "no brainer". I've never heard of the kid, but I also knew nothing of Devin McCourty either. He could be another Butler or Wheatley, but apparently there were no better options.

Even if he turns out to be Ronnie Lott, it is still an awful pick. Even if the Pats heard. other teams think he was moving up their draft boards it was still an awfull pick. For this player to go anywhere near the 2nd means the pats did not optimize their value.

Than when you combine that with a wierd trade of a 2 for a low 3 and a low 5, this was a horrible night all around for the Pats. hell they probably could have drafted ilson with the low 5th they got a for a 2. 2nd rd draft picks are valuable commodities, BB traded it away like it had herpes. Love day 1, hate day 2.

Even if he turns out to be Ronnie Lott, it is still an awful pick. Even if the Pats heard. other teams think he was moving up their draft boards it was still an awfull pick. For this player to go anywhere near the 2nd means the pats did not optimize their value.

Than when you combine that with a wierd trade of a 2 for a low 3 and a low 5, this was a horrible night all around for the Pats. hell they probably could have drafted ilson with the low 5th they got a for a 2. 2nd rd draft picks are valuable commodities, BB traded it away like it had herpes. Love day 1, hate day 2.

He did it because you and a few other fans were too happy after last night.

I don't know if it's as much against Kiper personally, as he probably seems to do around the same percentage wise as most of the other draft 'experts.'

I think it's more about Belichick and his staff doing things their way, kind of along the vein that Michael Holley's "War Room" speaks of. There are many times where Belichick disagrees with most of the other analysts, and he tends to rate players differently.

There's no way that Kiper can have any clue about some of the more un recognizable players in the draft, those who are less known. There's also no way that Kiper knows anything about how our specific needs are looked at, and how the player may project into our scheme here.

We've seen plenty of WTF picks before, so I'm not going to worry too much about it; though I will admit that my humble fandom point of view wanted someone else.

because you're such an nfl insider you obviously have no free time and are actively scouting players for NFl teams.... oh wait, you aren't.

Mel Kiper, and to be honest, any of these talking heads that never played or worked for an NFL team are just journalists, with all the total cluelessness that implies. They have zero clue what any NFL teams are looking for, and never will.

So sorry, but everything you are relying on with what you said comes from outsiders, who just don't have a clue, or do we really need to go through the lists of players these morons missed out totally on.

remember, those that can't teach. Those that can't teach, report. These are bottom of the barrel people.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes