PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Do you think Keith Rivers could be a good WILB for the Patriots?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Do you think Keith Rivers could be a good WILB for the Patriots?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

sebman2112

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
I've made the poll extremely cut and dry, as I simply want to gauge the consensus of the board.

feel free to leave comments in regard to how you voted, and why.

Bumping. I don't feel qualified to answer this on many levels, but I am curious to see what everyone thinks.

Can I say maybe ?

He seems to have the skills, the speed, quickness, size and toughness. However I've read too much that says he doesn't play to them. That he doesn't swivel his hips fast enough in pass coverage to cover to his numbers and that he doesn't get off blocks well enough to play to his toughness.

So I think he COULD be but I'd be nervous about him.

I haven't seen him play so I can't really say. There are enough negatives talked about to make me leery of risking a top 10 pick though, particularly on a guy that projects at ILB. You can find a lot of good ILB prospects in rounds 2-3.

Bump...

Let's get more votes on the issue!

I've made the poll extremely cut and dry, as I simply want to gauge the consensus of the board.

feel free to leave comments in regard to how you voted, and why.

He is a very good athlete and will be an improvement in coverage but is a little small for the inside.

I think he can be a good, not great player for the Pats. No way would I take him at #7.

He is a very good athlete and will be an improvement in coverage but is a little small for the inside.

I think he can be a good, not great player for the Pats. No way would I take him at #7.
What he said. In a more normal draft year Rivers would go around 20- 25. This is just a weak year for LB's.

Zach Thomas was small for an ILB too...

6'2" and 241lbs coming out of college isn't small for ILB, especially WILB. He's about one inch taller than Bruschi, and weighs about 4-5lbs less, with room to grow on his frame. Another comparison would be Jets ILB David Harris, who is 6'2" and 243lbs.

Last edited:
He's 6-2 and 242, not too small. In fact i decided last night that if Long or Gholston are taken, the Patriots are taking Rivers.

That's the final word until I change my mind again in a couple of days.

6'2" and 241lbs coming out of college isn't small for ILB, especially WILB. He's about one inch taller than Bruschi, and weighs about 4-5lbs less, with room to grow on his frame. Another comparison would be Jets ILB David Harris, who is 6'2" and 243lbs.

At his pro day he was 232, 9 pounds less than the combine. Spin it anyway you want, to me it means he can't hold weight. It wouldn't be the worst pick in the world, I mean he would be an instant upgrade on passing downs and could be very versatile and getting younger at LB would not be a bad thing but lets not paint him as an ideal candidate.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story;jsessionid=3F0976D3BD6A53F78525C9E172125D23?id=09000d5d806b4a39
"LB Keith Rivers (6-2 ¼,, 232): Ran the 40 in 4.54 and 4.59, had a 42-inch vertical jump, 10-foot, 7-inch long jump, 4.38 short shuttle, ran position drills and kept everything else from combine."

I voted 'yes' but I have a few concerns. Here's one: Rivers weighed in at 241 lbs at the combine. But at his pro day he weighed in at 232. I generally don't like this kind of practice, which was rampant a few years ago, where a prospect bulks up for the meat market at the combine, then slims down for his athletic tests. It was a way of gaming the system abused by USC alums in particular. It suggests River's weight-gain was artificial, and he hasn't got the real sand in his pants to play inside in the 3-4. Generally Lbers put on about 8-12 lbs in the first 2+ years post draft. So if Rivers were a true 240 lber, we could project him year 3 as a 250 lb ILB. Now, not so much.

Oops, I see cstj17 stole my thunder on this one.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye