Welcome to PatsFans.com

Do you think it's ok for our gov't to lie about the state of the economy?

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by PatriotsReign, Mar 1, 2010.

?

Do you think it's acceptable for our gov't to lie about the state of the economy?

Poll closed Mar 22, 2010.
  1. Yes

2 vote(s)
    10.0%
  2. No

13 vote(s)
    65.0%
  3. Sometimes in order to prevent panic and encourage spending

5 vote(s)
    25.0%
  1. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign On the Roster

Ratings:
    +307 / 3 / -13

It is my sincere belief that our federal gov't has lied and continues to lie about the true state of our economy. Unemployment has NOT improved and retail sales aren't up as they have been reporting. This is backed up by facts which are friends in the federal gov't refuse to share with us.

Do you think it's ok for our gov't reps to lie to us about the true state of our economy in order to encourage people to spend or prevent panic?

I don't.

Here's proof retail sales are still trending downward;

TMF: Retail Sales Up... NOT / Macro Economic Trends and Risks

"But facts are facts, and if we go back to the actual reports from the states, if we look at what the sales tax receipts are, how can we have sales up by 2.4%, or by any percent, when sales tax receipts are down by, in some cases, double digit amounts."
  2. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +58 / 3 / -0

#91 Jersey

With out going to a long detailed explanation...YES. A lot of what goes on is psychological. Just look at the markets its a roller coaster ride. One day they a little bit of good news and people buy. Then the next day if theres any hint of trouble they sell, they kill me with they're gutlessness. Same with the banks they're scared so they don't lend etc...
  3. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Rookie

Ratings:
    +141 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

I voted sometimes as in favoring whatever light there is at the end of the tunnel over dwelling on the negative.
  4. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +496 / 2 / -9

It's OK as long as Bush isn't doing it.
  5. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +307 / 3 / -13

But when it comes to personal finances such as retirement investing, our gov't OWES it to the American people to tell the truth. How can you support LYING? It's not a matter of "dwelling upon the negative", it's a matter of telling the truth.

I want to know the truth. I guess you want our gov't to take it easy on you and butter it up. But what good does that do anyone?

Only when we all know the truth, can we begin to make educated decisions on economic policy and vote accordingly. Otherwise, we're voting blindly.
  6. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +242 / 9 / -26

Remember the Pete Seeger song... what have you learned in school today..

My skepticism is obvious, and how do I know that the government is lying when it tells me something, anything.. anyone who believes that the government is acting in our best interest borders on psychosis.. the government makes us act like lemmings see the lies about atomic testing, Roswell, Cambodia bombing, the commies, Watergate, Iraq, BJ's in the office it goes on and on.. doubt should be the hallmark of any american citizen.
  7. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +307 / 3 / -13

I agree on the stock markets. But banks are supposed to tighten credit in difficult times. That prudent and good for the economy. Remember, it was poor lending standards that lead to this mess. We don't want banks giving out risky loans all over again Flex.

Are you ok with being lied to?

8. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +490 / 9 / -3

#24 Jersey

Is it any different when those among us lie on their income tax and do not report the true state of their own personal economy by hiding their "under the table earnings?"

When is a lie not a lie, PR? And when is one lie worse than another? And why do you expect the truth from those you admit that you, yourself, lie to?
  9. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +307 / 3 / -13

Wow...we agree 100%! :eek:

So why didn't you vote "No"?

10. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +496 / 2 / -9

Government Lying:
    Just look at Charlie Rangel's Grinning face, he is the face of Washington, a Snake Bastard.
  11. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +307 / 3 / -13

You're a beaut Mrs!! Did it ever occur to you that people push your buttons because you set yourself up for it?

I've never had any secret jobs or owned a plough in my life. I just knew it would get you all riled up....guess it worked.

Besides, by your logic, you're saying the gov't can lie to the American people because many of them lie to the gov't. Not a very bright rationale is it?

Now, back to the subject matter and away from attacking the poster...

Are you ok with our gov't lying to you?

P.S. Thank so much for so graciously accepting my apology! That truly showed humility on your part.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2010
  12. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +307 / 3 / -13

Let me pose this question to anyone who cares to answer it...

"Do you WANT to know the truth about the economy?"
  13. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +490 / 9 / -3

#24 Jersey

Well then that makes you a liar, doesn't it, since in the past you've delighted dozens of times about your under the table schemes.

Either way you cut it, PR. You're a liar and that makes you an unreliable source of anything.

I presume most people prefer to get their "advice" from people who tell the truth. I presume those are the people who they'd trust the most. I'd assume that's exactly what you're saying here, too, isn't it? Too bad you don't practice what you preach.

There's absolutely no difference between people who lie to "rile people up" and people who lie to "calm people down."
  14. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +490 / 9 / -3

#24 Jersey

What apology? Do you mean the times you've accused me of "stalking you" if I dare to reply to anything you've written or do you mean the times you've counted the numbers of times I've replied to you and complained that I don't reply to others as often or do you mean the times you've advised me to not respond to you at all? And then you say "I'm sorry" for accusing me of "having a thing for you" or of "stalking you" and expect me to reply to you when all you've done is complain about my replying to you? Talk about a conundrum. Always smellled more like "set up" to me. Still does, for that matter, or why else bring it up?

For one thing, I've never expected an apology from you regarding anything......for another, apologizing only means something if it's sincere - and it doesn't mean that the person you've ticked off is not going to get ticked off again or is barred from ever answering a bullshi$ post when it's posted because you think you've charmingly disarmed them.
  15. Stokes

Stokes Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

I said it during the Bush admin and its just as true now, the role of the President is largely to act as "cheerleader in chief." He's got to keep it positive in public statements because just about any damn thing can set off a panic on Wall Street. I don't know that you can necessarily say they're lying, they are analyzing data using their own criteria. If you use different criteria you come up with a different view, but as long as they reference their methodology I don't see a problem.

Would you prefer for them to focus on the negative and cause a market crash? Let's keep it positive! Now get out there and spend some money PR! Max out them credit cards!!!
  16. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +307 / 3 / -13

:rofl: :rofl:

Whatever MP...I really can't be bothered by this minion banter.

If you have nothing to add to the subject matter, don't bother commenting in my thread. You're trolling.

17. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +58 / 3 / -0

#91 Jersey

I think they should put prozac in the water. As far as the loans banks aren't even lending to people or buisness's with good credit.
  18. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +307 / 3 / -13

My cc balance is ZERO. And I prefer to keep it that way.

I never said Obama is lying, I said our gov't is lying. I'd prefer the market be priced at true value rather than an inflated & unstable one. So it that means it takes a dive, I'm ok with that.

FDR used to tell it like it is during the GD...and I've always had great respect for that. Also, the gov't never explains their methodoly to anyone...where did you get that?

It's called a "Market correction" and they're good for investors, not bad. Would you prefer to buy a house at an inflated value or at it's fair market value?

19. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

If the people in this country weren't fed a pack of lies from the day that they were born (religion, racism, flag worship, anthropocentrism, the Easter Bunny...) then I might lean towards "no" which I chose. But that was before I though about it more. People (not just Americans) are reared on a steady diet of male bovine excrement (don't kick me out 13!) throughout their entire lives, so it might be too dangerous to tell them the truth. If most people were told the truth then they might automatically see it as a lie. Imagine the uproar if the White House actually admitted that NAFTA was a Wall Street con and that we were in the middle east because we need the oil to support the Empire, and that Obama actually was a child molester from North Korea.

On the other hand, maybe the government could gradually disseminate information about the truths so we didn't notice it was happening, kind of like how they might if intelligent life in space was discovered. Maybe they could use the media and send subliminal messages that slowly acclimated our warped minds to the actual truth of things.

Personally, I like the truth. I hate being lied to. I don't think that most people agree with me, though.
  20. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +490 / 9 / -3

#24 Jersey

Here's the thing - the way I see it, anyhow.

Parents don't always tell their children the whole truth if the truth is going to seriously harm them. Doctors don't always tell their patients the entire terrorizing story behind their cancer diagnosis. Employers don't call meetings and inform their employees of the impending disaster with all the gory details attached. Priests offset the perils of hell with the premise of heaven. Generals don't tell the infantry that they're sorely outnumbered and outgunned before sending them into battle, etc. etc. etc.

Sometimes when you're in charge you inform people on a "need to know basis," and sometimes when you're in charge you do your best to put on a positive front to avoid panic and ensure yourself defeat by virtue of that panic.

There's always hope in any given situation - offering that hope through whatever means is not a bad thing if it prevents hopelessness because hopelessness all by itself is a killer.

Preaching doom, which is what half of the people here do on a daily basis, only reaffirms the fact that fear creates more fear and does absolutely nothing to alleviate a problem or create a positive atmosphere in which people are allowed to draw a deep breath and regroup and plan for a future which might be different than the one they expected but with a least some semblance of courage and hope that they'll survive it anyhow because they have, in this case, the government at least attempting to look out for their welfare and well-being.