PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Do you think Bill Belichick still trusts Urban Meyer (and his players for the draft)?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Will Meyer's players still have a "pipeline" to the NFL though Belichick/NE?

• Total voters
Re: Do you think Bill Belichick still trusts Urban Meyer (and his players for the dra

I know one thing, the majority of these UF players have been total busts or hardened criminals. Fail.

Kraft better hire you asap for the GM spot! Since you s h I t out roses...:rolleyes:

Re: Do you think Bill Belichick still trusts Urban Meyer (and his players for the dra

Clare - I think that might be a part of the larger issue that he didn't know that his personality was going to cause future problems.

If Meyer didn't advise or inform the Patriots of the deeper, underlying concerns that he had then would cause Kraft more cause for concern than not when it comes to the evaluation of players that were recruited by Meyer.

AHern
Demps: wasted money, seemed to openly extend a middle dinger to the organization
Spikes: sex tape, PEDs,seems to only do what he wants ands hasn't fully bought in
Cunningham: suspended for PEDs, kind of sucks
Chad Jackson: wasted pick, kind of sucked
Five picks from the same program that just don't seem to fit the Patriot mold. I think the PittPatriot no longer trusts Urban Meyer.

By the way, I am moving to Columbus area this Fall...was looking forward to seeing the Patriots potential farm team (OSU), but not so much now.

Urban Meyer's players end up terrible pro players and he totally oversells them to the NFL. Some like Chad Jackson are flat out busts, others who can play have major character issues. Steer clear of Urban Meyer players.

I agree with with your post - except on 2 points:
1. Zook recruited C. Jackson but Meyer still coached him for his final season at UF - that is plenty of time to get to know one of your "star" players and give enough advice to a close friend of whether he should be traded up for in the draft.
2. Everyone who uses the "no one saw murder on the horizon for AHern" argument is correct to some degree…but the bottom line is, AHern fell almost 2 and half rounds in the draft based on off-field questions that teams were not comfortable with. That IS the red flag. No one saw the murder coming - but there were plenty of data points, rumors, "dropped charges," etc that made AHern a very high risk investment. The guy loved guns…somehow he was able to get into fights, shoot people, and probably even carry weapons all this time but NO ONE seemed to know. Regardless, SOMETHING kept him off certain draft boards and kept other teams away. One can argue the Patriots had the MOST intel on AHern based on the close relationship with UF and Meyer. Drafting him is one thing, but then giving him the King's Ransom (my NEP standards) BEFORE he has even played out his first contract is the larger, less forgivable error.

Obviously, this is all hindsight…and I was a huge AHern fan who still can't believe these events. And still in a sick, absurd way, I hope he is some how going to be able to get his life back.

I'm not sure I agree with everything you state here. To begin with, a NCAA Division 1 FBS team has 85 scholarships. I cannot imagine how a head coach can get to know that many good players considering the amount of time those players are actually training. Remember, this is college and they also have classes and mandatory study time as well as personal time.

Urban did get rid of Cam after several team violations and the laptop incident. Newton was being groomed to replace Tim when he graduated so if he was willing to cut his #2 QB then if there was anything criminal that would stick to AHearn, he would have cut him as well. Nobody came forth to accuse AHearn on anything and MJ violations are usually taken care of in house on most college teams.

I'm not sure that the Pats had the MOST intel on AHearn either. I beleive that someone with lesser intel would have picked him up before the Pats. You know the old addage, "No news is good news", if some team had not gotten a lot of the bad intel that was floating around, they may have seen AHearn as a good pick before the 4th round. If I remember correctly, he volunteered the drug violations and that may have been all it took to scare most away.

I also believe that most teams have close relationships with more than just one NCAA head coach. Any conversations with BB and Urban may have been played out several other times with other HCs.

I too was a huge fan of AHearn and Spikes and had head rumors of them being a handfull at Gainesville through Gator forums. I just never expected this from Ahearn.

SF

Clare - I think that might be a part of the larger issue that he didn't know that his personality was going to cause future problems.

If Meyer didn't advise or inform the Patriots of the deeper, underlying concerns that he had then would cause Kraft more cause for concern than not when it comes to the evaluation of players that were recruited by Meyer.

Most of these players are semi-thugs though. So, roll the dice...

I think Bill trusts Urban and does go to him sometimes for advice. However, I think Bill goes with how he feels at the end of the day.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back