PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Do you think any of players would spt...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gumby

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
staying on the West coast for the week in between the back to back W coast sundays?

It was raised a couple times by posters as a "good idea" before the schedule came out. Now that we know the schedule and there are actually 2 opportunities to implement this strategy........

a. does it make any sense?
b. do you think any of the players would actually WANT to do it? (barring the few like Seau who live on w coast anyway).

a. while I can hear the argument that it would cut down on distractions and jet-lag; I just have a hard time believing that the benefits would greatly out-weigh the negatives. I mean you give up all your home facility workout space, the film analysis, access to scouting info etc etc. And if you have a private jet with all business class seats; they just catch up on sleep on the flight anyway.

So, while I don't have much doubt BB could get his way if he REALLY REALLY wanted to. I don't think he would press for this. And if he wouldn't; well do you think any of the players would actually petition for it???

b. Overall; I just can't see that the players would press for it. You stay away from home for a week and let the grass get 5 inches high and don't be there to pick up the kids after school and take them to dance recital or football practice. What do you get......then you have to listen to your wife whine on the phone.
you have to exchange your home cooked meals and pats stadium diet for on the road meals. I don't see that being an enticement either.

so I dont see that anyone but seau would ask for staying out west. (heck maybe he'll offer to put them all up at his house. :) )

Players are usually creatures of habits and like to keep to their usual schedule. I think Belichick would actually be against staying out west for that very same reason.

Think about it. It will take the players several days to get used to the time difference out west and then several more days to get used it when they come back (which could be worse when you lose three hours). It could screw them up for preparations for the second west coast game and the first game after they get back. It is conceivable that staying on the west coast will actually do more damage to the team than flying back and forth two weeks in a row.

Besides, Oakland and Seattle are 800 miles away from each other. It isn't like it is a half hour plane flight between the two.

Players are usually creatures of habits and like to keep to their usual schedule. I think Belichick would actually be against staying out west for that very same reason.

Think about it. It will take the players several days to get used to the time difference out west and then several more days to get used it when they come back (which could be worse when you lose three hours). It could screw them up for preparations for the second west coast game and the first game after they get back. It is conceivable that staying on the west coast will actually do more damage to the team than flying back and forth two weeks in a row.

Besides, Oakland and Seattle are 800 miles away from each other. It isn't like it is a half hour plane flight between the two.

I disagree. I think staying out west will be easier on the players. I don't know how much you fly, but it's tiring.

Oakland to Seattle is less than 700 miles. That's alot easier than flying 6000 miles back and forth. Never mind adjusting to the jet lag 4 times within 2 weeks rather than twice.

I disagree. I think staying out west will be easier on the players. I don't know how much you fly, but it's tiring.

Oakland to Seattle is less than 700 miles. That's alot easier than flying 6000 miles back and forth. Never mind adjusting to the jet lag 4 times within 2 weeks rather than twice.

You have to remember that the team flies in the lap of luxery though. It's probably a little bit easier to sleep on that plane than it is on a 747 with a 600 pounder in front of you putting the seat back and crushing your knee caps while the drink table comes past and smashes your funny bone.

I agree. Tom Curran was on FSN last night and he seemed pretty confident that they were going to stay out west. His biggest arguement was that there is nothing that Belichick hates more than wasting time. You eliminate 2 wasted travel days.

You have to remember that the team flies in the lap of luxery though. It's probably a little bit easier to sleep on that plane than it is on a 747 with a 600 pounder in front of you putting the seat back and crushing your knee caps while the drink table comes past and smashes your funny bone.

True enough, but I generally fly business class and still find it tiring, especially when crossing time zones. It has alot to do with the cabin pressure and extremely dry conditions when flying, I think.

Plus, I always drink a ton when flying. :D

Exactly. Jet lag 4 times is too much. As someone who used to commute Boston-LA on flight 11 I'd try to stay out there over a weekend rather than round trip it and I didn't have an NFL game to play in.

Remember for games like the SB this team's coaches already have established an away field practice methodology and culture.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots