PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Do you think Amendola will be a Patriot next season?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Cyrus Jones could field a punt cleanly, I think DA might be expendable. If Chris Harper could have held onto punts, he might still be a Pat as well.

"6th to 8th target"...wha??? What kind of drug are you smoking anyway?
I don't know....I thought he'd been cut two two ago. I swear I read it on here....

I honestly think DA is a perfect candidate for the shadow roster. He fits us very well but I feel no other team would truly want him. He does not beat man coverage the way most slot wrs do, is small/fragile, and is getting up there in age. Lastly, Brady has shown, to me anyway, that he does not really like to throw it to him. The majority of his catches are dump offs and James White has that covered.

I'm not sure I'd go that far. Brady just likes to spread the ball around and use all the weapons at his disposal. I think Danny has earned Brady's trust. He's by far, one of the most reliable pair of hands on our roster

I hope so. He' never complains about playing time, has taken pay cuts to remain a Patriot, 2 dimensional player, he's got balls the size of watermelllons, BB likes attributes like this and will make a new contract work.

Last edited:
I honestly think DA is a perfect candidate for the shadow roster. He fits us very well but I feel no other team would truly want him. He does not beat man coverage the way most slot wrs do, is small/fragile, and is getting up there in age. Lastly, Brady has shown, to me anyway, that he does not really like to throw it to him. The majority of his catches are dump offs and James White has that covered.

How do you explain the copious clutch 3rd down catches, then? Don't you think Brady would be looking towards someone he trusts, on third downs?

Jules, gronk, hogan, Bennett, Mitchell, white,

So I guess it's possible, he's the 7th target. And I haven't included Lewis.

This guy is not some JAG (65 receptions in 2015 is not Calvin Johnson stats, but it is a solid year by general receiver standards). I think he may have caught a TD in the Super Bowl just prior to that. He also plays on special teams. The notion that he could not sign elsewhere is absurd. He can play, and for all his fragility concerns, he has missed 2 games in 3 years here.

Will they try to rework his 2017 deal? Probably. An $8 million hit that can be reduced by $6.5 million if cut is probably too much to overlook as he is not a number 1 receiver with that level of usage in the offense. Hopefully that gets done, but it takes 2 to make that happen. I have no clue if there was an understanding as to the last year when the deal was made (I would suspect any backloaded deal suggests as much), but if so then I expect he would stick around.

What does everyone think of the idea of drafting Ryan Switzer in the next draft? I love Danny but it may be time for a change.
Why?

As others said, it's up to DA. He won't stay around for the amount of money he's due, but there's no reason for the Pats to move on from him if he recognizes his market value and adjusts accordingly. Maybe he could go somewhere else and get more money than the Pats will want to pay him here, but that would mean a lot more targets and I'm not sure he can hold up to that.

I've also noticed that his first step is gone. You see it on punt returns, too. He's still quality, but he's a half-step slower out of the gate than he was just two years ago.

On a related note, this is going to be the most interesting off-season in a long time. For years, I've been wondering how the Pats will draft anyone who can crack that line-up. This year, they're going in cash heavy and roster short.

Of course, that off-season will be WAY more enjoyable if they hoist another Lombardi this year.

He will do what he has done the past few years. Take less money and push it forward to stay on the team. I love Amendola as the 4th WR on the roster.

Edelman Mitchell Hogan are a good 3 with Amendola take a few catches with his clutch hands.

I think it's nice to have him as a backup PR as well. Cyrus is killing me.

He should stay AS LONG as he continues to restructure. We'd save a good 6 million by cutting him this offseason. That's a lot of money to gain on cap space.

I like 'Dola and hope he stays for another year on a pay cut. But I agree with previous posters that we should start developing another slot receiver based on his injury history, age, etc.

No Way! too fragile he should have just fair caught the dam ball. Dola will be easily replaced by any on our PS players. I wouldn't rule out gulp! Dropson coming back either.

No Way! too fragile he should have just fair caught the dam ball. Dola will be easily replaced by any on our PS players. I wouldn't rule out gulp! Dropson coming back either.

I think it's clear that what you see and what I see are not the same thing. :D

upload_2016-12-5_9-51-12.png

CPYLrApUAAIQk3J.jpg

10-25-danny-amondola-makes-an-acrobatic-catch-in-wi-n-over-the-jets-photo-david-silverman.jpg

• Agree
Reactions: PP2
I'm going to go with a hallucinate because he is seeing a lot of extra players on the field.

I consider the guy like our 6th-8th target nowadays and his best years are likely behind him. With Malcolm Mitchell playing well and the sort, do you think Amendola sticks around another year or is he done?

Personally, I am fine with the lineup without him now. Though, what are your thoughts?

Either way: I am happy he is/was a Patriot!
If he will play at a discount like he did this year then I would bring him back. He has 23 catches on 29 targets this season, 4 of which have been for touchdowns, and 14 for first downs, so all season he has 5 catches that didn't result in points or a new set of downs. He is a reliable depth WR who contributes on special teams.

I have come to realize that Gronkowski, Edelman, Amendola, Hightower, and others are always going to deal with some injuries because of the way they play the game and the things they are asked to do. Build the team with that understanding and they are all worth having. It is a calculated risk.

When everyone is healthy it's clear that the following individuals are getting more looks than Amedola.....

Gronk
Edelman
Bennett
Mitchell
Hogan
White

But I still love what Amenola brings to the table as a 7th option. A veteran who has accepted his limited playing role who continues to make critical plays.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back