Welcome to PatsFans.com

Do you think a school should give 11 year old birth control without parental consent?

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Real World, Oct 22, 2007.

?

Do you think a school should give 11 yr old's birth control without parental consent?

1. Yes, the school shouldn't have to notify parents.

12.5%
  2. No, a parent's rights over their child comes first.

87.5%
  1. Real World

Real World Rookie

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -1

Do you think a school should give 11 year old's birth control without parental consent?

I think you all know where I stand on this.
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2007
  2. Wildo7

Wildo7 Totally Full of It

Ratings:
    +32 / 2 / -0

Re: Do you think a school should give 11 year old birth control without parental cons

Not a very good pollster are you?

Try this:

Poll: Do you think that schools should force feed 11 year olds Birth Control pills and take away the rights of all parents while encouraging underage sex?

I think you might sway a few more people that way.
  3. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +37 / 2 / -3

#24 Jersey

Re: Do you think a school should give 11 year old birth control without parental cons

Of course they shouldn't. It's assanine. They also shouldn't get into a million other things that they do. I hate having to re-educate my kids at home from all the hogwash they hear. No, kids, driving home is not causing the water levels to rise. Now what do you want for dinner ?
  4. Wildo7

Wildo7 Totally Full of It

Ratings:
    +32 / 2 / -0

It's those damn liberal scientists again!
  5. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0

I believe in the role of parents, but also believe that there are somethings that parents cannot deal with or do not deal with very well, also am concerned as to a high rate of teen pregnancy.. so am mixed, but after long thought (10 sceonds) as a parent and grandparent have to come down on the side of parental rights.
  6. fleabassist1

fleabassist1 Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Why is this still being discussed? Eleven year olds... birth control... hmmm...

This is the stupidest argument I have seen in a while. What is going on with this country :O
  7. Real World

Real World Rookie

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -1

Hope you've got some rum on that island Wildo. :D
  8. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

No. Only a parent should be allowed to approve medications for a minor. Abortions for a pregnant 11 year-old should be allowed everywhere for free, too.
  9. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

The child should be protected from abusive parents. If the child is from a household where communication and trust have broken down, then health professionals should be able to act in the child's behalf without notifying the parents. An obvious example is, Should the child who refuses to prosecute are father for sexual abuse need her father's permission to be be on the pill or to have an abortion? In cases where there's no suspicion of abuse, medical professionals should do all they can to persuade the child to include his/her parents in the decision making.
  10. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0

Sounds nice, but in reality this will probably never work, human beings have inclinations on what kids should do and have biases, to allow decision makers to make run of the mill medical decisions for children defies the whole concept of parenting. In the case of abuse there is a role for the state and legal systems.. but not for contraceptive without parental authorization.
  11. Patters

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

99%, no 99.99% of the people involved in schools, are honest professionals who are not going to give out drugs willy-nilly and are not going to ignore the parents unless it's really called for. The chances of the system protecting an abused kid are greater than the system harming that kid. Everyone in this forum has had or interacted with lots of teachers, guidance counselors, health care workers, and others. How often has it happened that one of them has abused his or her authority? Most of them are cautious, deliberate, and thoughtful, and working within the confines of established psychological and medical theory.

If the vote was Should the school system give every kid a care package once a week that includes condoms, birth control pills, and sex manuals, that's one thing. But, the assumption is that a school system that resorts to these measures has a process in place so that these measured are used only when deemed necessary.
  12. Real World

Real World Rookie

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -1

I think the determination of when such measures are necessary, is best kept in the hands of the kid's actual parents. Not some stranger, school, or government entity. If you believe the kid might need them, or anything, contact the parent, and talk to them about it.
  13. Patters

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

I think in most cases it's like that. But, who are the kids who are having sex at 11? I think in some cases, those kids are from abusive homes and it may not be in the child's interest to contact the parents. Is it that hard to imagine a parent seriously beating up a child for having sex or smoking dope or whatever? Sad to say, but the estimates of child abuse are very high, and much of that abuse is at the hands of parents. Experts need to have some right to apply professional judgment.
  14. Real World

Real World Rookie

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -1

You people are extremely scary individuals. Experts....:rolleyes:
  15. Patters

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

So, what do we do about kids who say they are abused or who psychologists suspect are abused by their parents? As the parents if the kids are telling the truth? Now that's scary.
  16. fleabassist1

fleabassist1 Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

I'm scared that an eleven year old might hit on me now :help:

I swear officer, she had birth control... she wears slutty things on her myspace and takes pictures of her boobs... she consented and came to me...:bricks:
  17. Real World

Real World Rookie

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -1

I see, so since there might be an outside chance that some 11 year old is being abused somewhere, we're going to institute a policy, through the government run monopoly that is the public school system, by which we strip ALL parents of their rights over their children. Now that's some great logic. I'm just guessing that those same principles would be unilatterally accepted by your ilk when applied to Homeland Security, ICE, and the Police Department.

If you suspect that there is abuse, you call the police, or DSS, and have them take care of it.
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2007
  18. Patters

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

Good, we don't disagree. We want qualified professionals to deal with the abused child, and we will trust them (by and large) to take care of the matter. So, what are you arguing with me about? With childcare, as well as security, we need to have intelligent laws on the books and intelligent people to carry out those laws. In general, that's how things work. Most cops are honest, hardworking people. Same with most teachers. Same with most everything. I would be opposed to a law that requires teachers to give girls the pill anytime they want it, but I would support a law that allows qualified people (such as psychologists and nurses) to give an individual girl the pill on a case by case basis.
  19. Real World

Real World Rookie

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -1

So where exactly did we agree?
  20. Patters

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

You said let the police and DSS deal with it. So, I assume you are saying that in some cases qualified professionals have the right to decide whether or not the parents should be notified.
  21. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +37 / 2 / -3

#24 Jersey

Unless there's reasonable suspicion of criminal behavior, schools should have no rights to do, tell or give anything to children without parental consent.
  22. Patters

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

I think that's how it works. Of course, when you're talking about what a school can tell a kid that's trickier because it's hard to say where exactly the line should be drawn. For instance, can a school teach kids about the dangers of disease, including sexually transmitted ones? Should a school teach children about what inappropriate behavior is (by a stranger, parent, teacher, or fellow student)? If the school suspects many of the students are sexually active, can it do anything, or should it pretend the problem isn't there?
  23. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

Can someone please explain why a kid needs a permission slip from a parent to go to the museum but not to get a drug that alters their reproductive system?
    ....anyone?....
    ....Bueller?.....?
  24. Real World

Real World Rookie

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -1

If I think that there is a problem with my neighbor and his kids, I can call DSS and disclose my concerns. The difference is that the PARENTS will be the ones who are talked to, and dealt with. No one is stripping EVERY parent of their rights, because X% might be abusive.
  25. Real World

Real World Rookie

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -1

Pretend what? It should contact the F'ing parents, and not try to raise kids that are not their own. :mad:
  26. Real World

Real World Rookie

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -1

Do we have bingo? I think we have bingo. ;)
  27. Patters

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

So, the school contacts the parents and the parents don't do anything. What should the school do then? The school contacts the parents and the kid comes back to school with a black eye, but refuses to explain how it happened. Should the school still contact the parents the next time around? Schools do not raise kids, but play a role depending on the situation. The examples where schools overstep are few and far between. Mostly, there's common sense applied. Let's not tie the school's hands under the misguided notion that a parent can do no wrong. The young kids who may need birth control are quite possibly quite often from dysfunctional families.
  28. Real World

Real World Rookie

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -1

You M&M's that site extreme's, and use doomsday as a basis for justifying the removal of the most basic of rights, are everything that is wrong with this country. So because some kid's parents might, and I stress might, be sh1tty at their job, we're going to put the controls of all kids, in the hands of the ever efficient, and know it all government. What banana's we have living in this republic.
  29. Patters

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

That's not how it works. Schools get involved in cases where they need to get involved. They don't drag every kid into the nurses office and quiz them about their sex lives and force feed them birth control -- that's extremist nonsense that for some reason you take to. My sister was a school psychologist and she dealt with troubled kids. A small percent of them, she suspected were abused, and it's in those cases where some latitude is useful. Otherwise, of course the parents play the leading the role. In virtually all cases, the school has no role in parenting, but there are cases where the school is forced to play a role. Do you really think that teachers and school psychologists want to replace the parents? That's ridiculous.
  30. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0

I think you are making a lot of connections and assumptions here, know a lot of teachers and many in related professions, while they are professional they are human and their feelings interfere(some call it transferrence).. not minimizing the child abuse angle, but you are comparing raisins and grapefruits.. how about the exceptional young lady who just wants to try sex for no other reason than peer pressure, this makes no sense as a parent or grandparent I do not trust anyone making these decisions for me.