Welcome to PatsFans.com

Do you support teaching gang members military techniques?

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Patters, Sep 17, 2006.

?

Do you support teaching gang members military techniques?

1. Yes

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. No

4 vote(s)
    80.0%
  1. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +166 / 4 / -4

Thanks GJAJ15 for raising this issue.

http://www.suntimes.com/output/news/cst-nws-gangs01.html

"The Gangster Disciples, Latin Kings and Vice Lords were born decades ago in Chicago's most violent neighborhoods. Now, their gang graffiti is showing up 6,400 miles away in one of the world's most dangerous neighborhoods -- Iraq.

"Armored vehicles, concrete barricades and bathroom walls all have served as canvasses for their spray-painted gang art. At Camp Cedar II, about 185 miles southeast of Baghdad, a guard shack was recently defaced with "GDN" for Gangster Disciple Nation, along with the gang's six-pointed star and the word "Chitown," a soldier who photographed it said.

"The graffiti, captured on film by an Army Reservist and provided to the Chicago Sun-Times, highlights increasing gang activity in the Army in the United States and overseas, some experts say.
  2. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +183 / 5 / -23

This is a very bad thing that is happening here, will have long term ramifications for our uniformed officers in the upcoming years. I cannot imagine why these guys are on the ground in Iraq...
  3. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +333 / 1 / -9

Is there a way to "background check" these jerks before they get into the service, or is this the Govt's fault for not caring, or are they afraid to "background check" for fear of offending them or violating their freedoms.

Who's fault is it that the swaggering violent morons are allowed to enter the service :confused:
  4. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +333 / 1 / -9

Is there a way to "background check" these jerks before they get into the service, or is this the Govt's fault for not caring, or are they afraid to "background check" for fear of offending them or violating their freedoms.

Who's fault is it that the swaggering violent morons are allowed to enter the service :confused:

You know this is why some democrats want to "bring back the draft" they want these Idiots in the service because they know they will eventually cause some kind of problem and then the Sore Losers can blame Bush & the Draft.
    Charlie "Racist" Rangle has been trying to do this ever since Bush beat them, TWICE.
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2006
  5. BlueTalon

BlueTalon Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Perhaps if the liberal idjits who want to prevent the military from recruiting on high school and college campuses would stop their harassment of military recruiters, the military would have a bigger pool of people to select from, and could raise the standards above gang member level.
  6. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +126 / 7 / -13

A lot of young men with dubious backgrounds have served in the military and had their lives changed, for the better. Not in all cases but many times.

I would like to think that liberials would like to see people from disadvantaged backgrounds get a chance to improve themselves?
  7. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +183 / 5 / -23

In an ideal world the short answer is yes, but having seen the impact of the Almighty Latin King Nation(Latin Kings) firsthand in the 90's very little positives can come from this. These members allegiance are to the gang first and foremost, and probably to the country about 9th... these are very bad dudes, what happens if all of a sudden we have a group of kids in the cities who know how to make bombs and are are sharpshooters.. this can never be a good thing.

Don't blame liberals, ACLU or the draft or any of that crap, it is poor screening pure and simple... raise the standards, pay more do anything but this.. you reap what you sow. What is being sown is a very bad thing.
  8. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

My friend just retired from the Air National Guard. He didn't want to go, but 60 is the cut off point. Of the 120 or so people who attended the retirement ceremony there were 3 Colnels(sp?). He out-ranked everyone else. So even though he was up there age wise, you can bet his job didn't involve a whole lot of running around. Why the heck was he forcibly retired when we're choosing to accept people with more than 5 gang tattoos?

Baffeling.
  9. Patters

Ratings:
    +166 / 4 / -4

Ah, yes, that's the problem with democracy -- people will object to things they think are bad. If the President is not effective at rallying the country behind him, it means one of two things: he's either wrong or incompetent.
  10. BlueTalon

BlueTalon Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

The level of your hypocrisy and disingenuousness would be astounding, if I wasn't already aware of your potential.

1st: I think that harassing military recruiters and preventing them from recruiting on high school and college campuses is bad, and I am objecting.

2nd: For you to support the cutting off of recruiters from a very large segment of qualified individuals, and then imply that struggles to meet recruiting goals translates into or is symptomatic of the President not effectively rallying the country behind him, and therefore the President is either wrong or incompetent, is disingenuousness at its most obvious/amusing/disgusting.

If you really believed the country is not rallying behind the President because he is wrong or incompetent, you wouldn't need to support the exclusion of military recruiters from high school and college campuses, because the students there would be a microcosm of "the country" rather than a bunch of individuals who might prove you wrong. I think your opposition boils down to a 60's/70's hangover liberal hatred of the military, because the military is and votes overwhelmingly conservative -- and you've demonstrated how "tolerant" you are of conservatives many times on this board.

Personally, I think schools, school districts, and colleges, should all be able to make their own decision about allowing military recruiters, as long as they are willing to fore-go federal money should they decide to prohibit them.
  11. Patters

Ratings:
    +166 / 4 / -4

The political reality is that many people oppose this Pesident and his war on Iraq. The price of that is greater resistance to aiding his war effort. Every president has to contend with this to varying degrees. If it's necessary, the President should consider a draft.

I'm commenting on the political reality. The president has to do a better job at making the case why his approach to fighting terrorism is the right one. If he's successful, there would be less resistance to recruiting in schools and more people would sign up even without those recruiting stations. I'm not saying the President could easily convince me, but he's failing to convince even so-called Independents.

I oppose the war in Iraq; therefore, I oppose making it easier for him to wage war. If you opposed the war, you would probably feel the same. It's a political struggle, and the President is losing it. It's not about hatred for the military. Most people, right and left, know soldiers and have relatives who served. I do not hate the military, and I think we should treat our soldiers better. But, I do hate the war on Iraq that I think is making the world more dangerous.

I think schools are able to make their own decisions, though the No Child Left Behind Act apparently makes that more difficult. See for instance, this:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/06/18/AR2005061800957.html

As far as school systems forgoing federal money in that circumstance, I don't agree. The military has many ways to recruit people, but the key is to have an effective leader arguing on behalf of a war that people support. Again, it's a political struggle to fight the militaristic Bush regime.
  12. gomezcat

gomezcat It's SIR Moderator to you Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

I voted yes. They should hopefully become more accurate when shooting in drive-by shootings and so on. Also, their attempted executions would be more successful, thereby saving everyone else millions in emergency medical costs.
  13. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +183 / 5 / -23

Try this little factoid on for size, when they passed the No Child Left Behind Bill one of the provisions was the recruiters had access to high school kids, unless parents signed a form on behalf of their children opting out... it has nothing to do with the schools, it has to do with the parents exercising thier parental responsibility and choice. Military Recruiters cannot be harassed on high school campuses in fact according to the law they are welcome, and have not seen any indicators they are harassed on college campuses.
  14. Patters

Ratings:
    +166 / 4 / -4

I see you're embracing the Republican social service model. :)