PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Do you still have confidence in this team?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Cnn the Patriots turn things around

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

PATSNUTme

Paranoid Homer ex-moderator
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
We have had two tough losses in a row. We haven't been able to make any stops on D when we have to. We have not loooked good on offense. Tom seems to be off for some reason. ST's are letting big returns happen.

So, I have to ask, do you think that this can get turned around? Do we have the players and the coaches to get us to 12-4 or 11-5 and be the playoff team that we thought we were?

I still think we can turn it around. There are still 7 games to be played. Yet, I now think every game is up for grabs. We have no sure wins. I think this week's GB game is up for grabs. I think 12-4 is still possible.

Last week I posted that a small part of me was glad that the team had been given a reminder that they are flawed and need to work hard on their weaknesses if the dream of Miami in February has a chance of coming true. I dont really feel any different after the loss from the Jets. As I was watching I felt like the Pats were taking their foes for granted, though I know that is not the case. What I did see was one team more inspired, more committed and hungrier than the other, and for the second week in a row that team was not the Pats.

Both the Colts and the Jets had a history of grievances and losses to bring an edge to their game, and both defenses were far better than they have shown during the first part of the season. They weren't just better, by the way, they were playing out of their skins. I think the Pat's O-line was not prepared for such an assault. I dont mean technically or strategically unprepared, I mean they were put off their game by the passion and ferocity of the opposition.

There is only one other team that we have to face on the schedule with similar history and wish to rectify past imbalance, and that is Miami. They already have a pretty reasonable defense, but given the example of the Colts and Jets I dont think they will find it too hard to emulate their efforts.

That aside, I still think the Pats have a pretty good team, especially compared to last year:

OL will be as good as it was last year once Neal returns though they have to learn consistency and how to staunch passionate plays (see above).
WR/TE -the one area that is weaker than last year, although not by much, Caldwell is beginning to impress, teams are double covering Watson, and Gaffney, Gabriel and Jackson are progressing nicely. And no 80 is like an old insurance policy, always there to give you cover when you need it.
RB - much, much better than last year - Maroney has transformed the running game and CD is motivated, loved the 50 yarder. Only complaint is consistency but that is as much to do with blocking (Graham and Neal very much needed).
QB - Hmmm - not as good at the moment, but I have every confidence that TB will improve with better protection (once the OL learns to deal with passion......)
DL will be as good when Ty Warren returns
LB - so much better than last year - "can you say Beisel and Scott"? Seau has surprised me, he just doesnt play his age, Colvin is having a great year, and you can always rely on 50 and 54.
S losing Rodney is not good, but we didnt have him last year and I have growing respect for Hawkins and Scott. Hobbs is still learning and Wilson and Samuel are well above average DBs. I am hoping 37 will be able to return in time for the playoffs though.
ST - better than 2005, mainly from Maroney as KR, but also the Ghost is getting us better field position than #4. And as for his misses, put that one down to rookie experience. I think he will be fine.

Despite 2 losses in a row, I think the hunger will return, and with it consistency. 2006 team is much better, maybe not enough to win the Superbowl, but good enough to go deep into the playoffs. just as long as the team brings passion to meet passion.

Don't see a choice there that i would vote for but I will comment on your original question. Does this team have a chance, yes they do in my eyes. Even if they win 4 of there next 7 that will put them into the playoffs prolly. Let's say they have 10 or 11 wins. They may host a wildcard and then go on the road, if their record is better than great. They have the Pack next week, I think this is a 'winable' game.

I have been liking Caldwell's effort against the Jets, very nice, and Jackson has some talent. Gabriel I think will give up a lot of playing time to Jackson next week. Listening to BB's PC yesterday, I got a sense that he was less than pleased with Gabriel's performance. So I predict Jackson to have a big game.

I also predict our ground game to have more success next week, I think field condition has a lot to do with the ground game obviously, we will get that back next week...

Do I still have confidence in this team? Absolutely, I have confidence in the coaches and players abilities.

You will see our team back this Sunday. You may see a loss or two mixed in but ending the season with Houston, Jacksonville and Tennessee, all I want for those last three games is flow, consistency. They need to be on a roll going into January, and in January I have lots of confidence in this team. They have given me reason to be confident around here lately...:D

I do still have confidence. I really am growing tired of the complaints about the WR's and how it is their fault alone that the O is struggling right now. Let's again, one more time, look at the '01 Super Bowl O. Any high end wide out you all remember? No, neither do I. I, in my useless opinion, believe that the play calling on that side of the ball has been poor. We used to kill people with the short passing game and pounding run game. (OK it wasn't great with Smith, but kept the opposing D honest.) I don't want to say this, believe me, but the jets kind of beat us at our own style of play. Losing Harison hurts real bad I know...but we have to learn to live without him sooner than later. He is a Vet with maybe a few years left in the tank. Brady is human...He will be fine. We have the capability with that masive D line to pressure the Q back more....That has to happen. Other teams wish they had the front we do, not to mention they are young. Speaking of young, so is our O line. We are ok for the future. Both lines are young and so is our franchise Q-back. We are a little old at linebacker but this will not be ignored forever, it can't be. We all wish Bruschi and Vrabel could go on forever as well as Harrison. They just can't. Hell, I was just sick at losing Willie. He is my favorite PAT ever. But, I have to rememebr it is a business. We will be FINE. Have faith my friends. Don't scream it me but I think TB kind of misses Charlie Weiss. I know I do........

The voting so far has been surprising.

I though that the last three would be getting the mosts votes from the threads and post that I have been reading here.

Maybe they don't really feel that way?:cool:

Not as much confidence as I did when they were 6 and 1.

The Pats are capable of winning all of their remaining games if they

play their best. Unfortunately, if they play as badly as they have

recently, no game is a sure win.

I remember after the Miami debacle in 2004 a Pats team that systematically destroyed the Jets, 49ers (even while sleepwalking through that game), Colts and Steelers, then beat a Philly team despite a poorly played first quarter. That loss served as a wakeup call to a team that was content with itself.

I think even after losing to Indy, the Pats were still content with themselves, thinking, "Hey, we turned it over 5 times, yet only lost by 7 against an undefeated team. We simply need to clean things up and all will be right again." They didn't follow that thinking up with action and it cost them the Jets game. Ironically, I think they *would* have followed it up with action if the team was someone like the Ravens...a team that would have taken seriously, like how they took the then undefeated Bengals seriously after losing to Denver (and how they took an undefeated-at-home Rams seriously after losing to Pittsburgh in 2004). Sadly, I think it takes a loss against an inferior team like the Jets for these guys to get their heads out of their backsides, both the players and coaches.

I think they play much better from here on out, but I think they do need their safeties back to make a deep playoff run. Having Neal would definitely help, too, but the secondary isn't the same without Rodney and Wilson.

Regards,
Chris

I won't vote.

There's no 13-3 option.

I'm disappointing a fellow Homerviller didn't even add the most likely option! :(

I voted for the Jacky Roberts one based on my interpretation of what he said. Patsnut was a tad liberal in his interpretation imo. Lets face it. They didn't make the moves necessary to maximize their chances of winning this year. I don't doubt that they knew what they were doing when they chose this path and that the choice was about staying competitive all the time rather than shooting your load and heading for cap hell.

I have hopes for this season but its still disappointing to have to endure this team this year when we're used to so much more. Especially when 'wait 'till next year' is as realistic a threat as it is. In the end I'm happy that this is as close to a rebuilding year as we're gonna get for a while, but its still not so much fun.

sdaniels7114 said:
I voted for the Jacky Roberts one based on my interpretation of what he said. Patsnut was a tad liberal in his interpretation imo. Lets face it. They didn't make the moves necessary to maximize their chances of winning this year. I don't doubt that they knew what they were doing when they chose this path and that the choice was about staying competitive all the time rather than shooting your load and heading for cap hell.

I have hopes for this season but its still disappointing to have to endure this team this year when we're used to so much more. Especially when 'wait 'till next year' is as realistic a threat as it is. In the end I'm happy that this is as close to a rebuilding year as we're gonna get for a while, but its still not so much fun.

You are right, I did embellish Jacky Roberts just a little.

But, he does seem to be charter member of your gloom and doom club.

pats1 said:
I won't vote.

There's no 13-3 option.

I'm disappointing a fellow Homerviller didn't even add the most likely option! :(
I thought of putting that opition up but I think that we will lose one more just to tease the Jest and their fans.

I did predict 12-4 prior to the start of the regular season.

I voted for 11-5; am hopeful for 12-4. I think it's a good sign they are being proactive to try to turn things around - installing the field turf and signing Testaverde to help Brady and/or McDaniels. We looked so good in Buffalo and Minn.; I am hoping those were not flukes.

I would put the biggest needs as Warren and Neal back with Seymour 100%. The Jets were targeting the gap between Wilfork and Wright very successfully when they ran up the middle. The Pat's have to win the battle of the line, and they didn't against the Jets. Pennington also had far too much time to throw.

Yes. The Pats have been in most games this year. In all the games, maybe with the exception of the Denver game, winning or losing was the result of a single play.

The whole team needs to play better. Tom needs to play within himself. The receivers need to catch the ball and run full routes. And the Pats have to run the ball. Just run it; 4-8 times straight. The defense needs to get more aggressive and violent.

I still have confidence in this team.

Ofcourse I still have faith. It was tough last Sunday. I shurgged off the loss at Indy...it hurt but I think the Jets loss hurt more. We have 7 more weeks I think?

I have some problems, SPECIAL FRIGGING TEAMS. On the kick off coverage, its humiliating. And our secondary isnt doing a very good job with Harrison out. I am losing faith in Hobbs.

But on the bright side, I loved to see Reche Caldwell playing like he did Sunday. If he can do that a few times during the season, thats great. Our offense is doing good but we MUST put touchdowns on the board, that was one of the terrible parts of last weeks game. I have no problems with our recievers, even Jabar Gaffney looked great Sunday. We may get turn overs on defense but we need Harrison back and Wilson also, thats the only way our secondary is going to improve.

Keep the faith, 11-5 or 12-4. Its amazing how some people will ***** on their team if they lose a game. Our little record had to end sometime, so lets just move on.

How about 11-5 and win the SB?

PATSNUTme said:
The voting so far has been surprising.

I though that the last three would be getting the mosts votes from the threads and post that I have been reading here.

Maybe they don't really feel that way?:cool:

I voted for #5 cause it's just more fun to be stupid.

RayClay said:
I voted for #5 cause it's just more fun to be stupid.

That's the code I live by. Except when it comes to my Patriots.

PatsDeb said:
I voted for 11-5; am hopeful for 12-4. I think it's a good sign they are being proactive to try to turn things around - installing the field turf and signing Testaverde to help Brady and/or McDaniels. We looked so good in Buffalo and Minn.; I am hoping those were not flukes.

FieldTurf - yes
Vinnie T - no

How's Vinnie going to help? By showing TB how to stand even more like a statue? If the unthinkable happens, then I call Doug Flutie. He knows the playbook now, I'm sure he's still in shape, and he would breathe life into the offense, and into the Razor. Flutie at ABC saved the pats a roster spot, and they wasted it on Vinnie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes