PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Do you see the Pats using both first-rounders?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Will the Pats use both first-rounders?

• Definitely/probably will

Votes: 15 75.0%
  • Definitely/probably won't

Votes: 5 25.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ctpatsfan77

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Right now, I'm not at all convinced they will. If there are two outstanding players, they might, and obviously, they will if no one will trade with them. But, assuming they find a partner, I expect them to push a pick into 2009, and pick up some more "interest" in the process.

The Patriots, especially if they win in February, could be facing a lot of retirements. Harrison, Bruschi, T Brown, and maybe a guy like Faulk could use the opportunity to retire as champions. Then we have the Moss and Stallworth deals, which look to be one year contracts. Wilson and Samuel will be UFAs.

I guess what I'm saying is that since I expect the Patriots to win the Super Bowl, I expect them to have a lot of holes to fill. Therefore, at this time, I expect them to use both picks. If they trade one, I think it will be for 2nd-4th rounders in 2008, not pushing back into 2009.

I say yes they use both. For the past 5 years in a row I have predicted that they take a LB or CB in round 1. This year I will continue the trend and predict both a CB and LB.

A lot of potential holes next year:
QB - Cassell will be in the last year of his deal (not a first round priority but a position that will warrant some consideration)
OLine - Light and Neal are a year older, 08 looks to be a very strong class for OT
WR - Moss signed a 1 year deal and Stalloworth has a high ticket price to extend. Caldwell / Gaffney if they make the team are free agents. Jackson is a question mark.
CB - Hobbs is the only relevant CB signed beyond 07
S - Pretty solid, even if Harrison retires the unit has ok depth.
DL - Very strong, unless an absolute beast is available (someone in the Seymour mold) unlikely that a day 1 pick will be spent on DL
LB - Bruschi is on last legs, Vrabel is a year older, Colvin has a 9.5M hit in 08. I would focus 1-2 day 1 picks on LB.

When the Pats win it all in February, they will lose a considerable amount of depth due to retirement. C and T Brown, Vinny, Seau, Bruschi, K Brady, and James. But I seriously doubt Harrison will retire, not with another year left on his contract. He's not leaving the field until they throw him off it.

With that being said, it is real easy to see BB using both first rounders in 2008. And even though everyone comtinues to harp on the needs at LB, I doubt BB moves on that. Instead I expect him to loook at shoring up the secondary and OT. (If the 49ers fall flat on their faces, we could wind up with Baker or Long, both of which would have been selected before Staley had they come out for the 2007 draft.) It would leave him clear to take an offensive skiil player in the second round, this draft is deep at RB, but mediocre at WR and weak at TE.

Obviously the actual answer now is . . . Who the F knows, it depends on how FA goes, the players who are there at the time and any trade offers they get.

Gut feeling is they'll trade out again if a good opportunity arises so I'll say that I don't expect them to use both . . . but who the F knows.

Gut feeling is they'll trade out again if a good opportunity arises so I'll say that I don't expect them to use both . . . but who the F knows.

I hope cleveland (or another bad team) trades their first round pick again like they did with the Cowboys. Dallas is going to have a nasty pick next draft.

Last edited:
I hope cleveland (or another bad team) trades their first round pick again like they did with the Cowboys. Dallas is going to have a nasty pick next draft.

Given everything the Pats have said, I am firmly convinced that if their top two choices in April had been:

* SF's 1st in 2008 and 4th in 2007 or
* OAK's 1st in 2008 and 3rd in 2007,

the Pats would still have traded with SF, not OAK. The cost of a top-10 pick is far more than the Pats want to pay; the value starts to build around pick 13 or so.

Given everything the Pats have said, I am firmly convinced that if their top two choices in April had been:

* SF's 1st in 2008 and 4th in 2007 or
* OAK's 1st in 2008 and 3rd in 2007,

the Pats would still have traded with SF, not OAK. The cost of a top-10 pick is far more than the Pats want to pay; the value starts to build around pick 13 or so.
No way, if you end up in the top ten you can always trade down. Even if you get a below market offer you can get out of the top ten with at least a little something extra.

No way, if you end up in the top ten you can always trade down. Even if you get a below market offer you can get out of the top ten with at least a little something extra.

I don't think that's as true as it used to be, in part because of the huge salaries those top picks command right now. Heck, a JEST executive once quipped, when another team asked if he'd like to trade up in the draft, "What else are you going to give me?"

I think if the Pats felt there was a can't-miss player up there (a la AJ Hawk, according to dryheat), they might do it, but I really think they'd rather be picking at 15 or 16 than 5 or 6.

I don't think that's as true as it used to be, in part because of the huge salaries those top picks command right now. Heck, a JEST executive once quipped, when another team asked if he'd like to trade up in the draft, "What else are you going to give me?"

I think if the Pats felt there was a can't-miss player up there (a la AJ Hawk, according to dryheat), they might do it, but I really think they'd rather be picking at 15 or 16 than 5 or 6.
I would put money that WORST CASE you could trade #6 straight up for #16. I simply don't believe you wouldn't find a taker to give you at least a little something despite what a Jest guy may have said.

While given the choice, I don't think Belichick would opt to pick at, say, #6, if he found himself in that position, he'd make the pick. He'd get a safe player under contract for six years. He could've traded down back in 2001, when we had a bad team and the #6 pick. He could've used the extra picks, but he wanted Seymour. Despite the price tag Seymour commands, I think BB is happy with the outcome. This past year he may have sat tight and hoped to grab Gaines Adams or Laron Landry.

Last edited:
While given the choice, I don't think Belichick would opt to pick at, say, #6, if he found himself in that position, he'd make the pick. He'd get a safe player under contract for six years. He could've traded down back in 2001, when we had a bad team and the #6 pick. He could've used the extra picks, but he wanted Seymour. Despite the price tag Seymour commands, I think BB is happy with the outcome. This past year he may have sat tight and hoped to grab Gaines Adams or Laron Landry.

I agree sometimes two nickels is not worth as much as a dime (see the Joe Thorton trade). The Patriots would love to pick between 6-15 because the cost \ player ability \ contract length starts to make sense. What they don't want is a top 5 pick and the associated hefty salary, at least they don't want this as a contending team. If they were truly rebuilding and a Carson Plamer type player was available I am sure they wouldn't mind the number 1 pick. Thankfully we shouldn't be picking in the top 5 for quite a while.

they should package both when the time comes to move up and grab mcfadden, unless maroney turns out to be a franchise rb

they should package both when the time comes to move up and grab mcfadden, unless maroney turns out to be a franchise rb

I think I have a better chance of pissing snow than that scenario unfolding, even if Maroney goes el busto.

Obviously the actual answer now is . . . Who the F knows, it depends on how FA goes, the players who are there at the time and any trade offers they get.

In terms of LB, I agree that the team is looking at wholesale changes in the next two years. Not much to look at in free agency:
http://www.kffl.com/static/nfl/features/freeagents/fa.php?option=LB&y=2008

I voted against taking two picks but an influx of talented youth might be the best thing.

I think I have a better chance of pissing snow than that scenario unfolding, even if Maroney goes el busto.

:agree: If Maroney busts (unlikely, IMHO), you'd be hard-pressed to watch BB/SP spend another first-rounder on a RB, much less use two to trade up.

I think they'll look for complementary backs, if any. A basher: Benjarvus Green-Ellis of Ole Miss, and/or third-down backs: Dantrell Savage of OSU or Justin Forsett of Cal.

Sure, they'll have all those Asante Samuel picks to wheel and deal with. :D

It all depends on what happens after the season is over.
Of course there will be retirements.
But there will also be free agent departures.
And who knows if Samuel will be dealt then?
And it depends on what kind of deal the Pats can get for their extra 1st rounder.
If it's a Baltimore robbing like a 2008 2nd and a 2009 1st, I'd say go for it!
Can't believe we got that much loot for the rights to Kyle Boller. :)
http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/teams/BLT

Those picks turned into Eugene Wilson and Vince Wilfork!

Please tell us why the pats would make this terrible move. Cant wait for this one:rolleyes:

But, assuming they find a partner, I expect them to push a pick into 2009, and pick up some more "interest" in the process.

But if you keep pushing a first-rounder into the future every year it's like never having that pick at all...

The Patriots' pattern seems to be trading aggressively out of drafts they don't like into drafts that look more promising, then stocking up (think Wilfork & Watson). I'm betting they use their picks in 2008.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes