Welcome to PatsFans.com

Do you remember this team?

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by PATRIOTSFANINPA, Feb 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PATRIOTSFANINPA

PATRIOTSFANINPA Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

DO YOU REMEMBER THIS TEAM?

QB - Bob Bleier - Todd Whitten
    RB - Chuck McSwain - Frank Bianchini - Carl Woods
    TE - Todd Frein - Arnold Franklin
    WR - Dennis Gadbois - Larry Linne - Wayne Coffey - Brian Carey
    OL - Todd Sandham - Eric Stokes (partial list)
    DL - John Guzik - Dino Mangiero - Tom Porell - Bill Turner - Steve Wilburn - Murray Wichard
    LB - Randy Sealby - Frank Sacco - Greg Moore - Joe McHale - Jerry McCabe - Rice Corsetti - Mel Black
    DB - Ricky Atkinson - Duffy Cobbs - David Handley - Joe Peterson - Jon Sawyer - Ron Shegog - Perry Williams

K and P - Alan Herline

If you remember these guys,will it be possible in today's NFL to have it happen again?

Last edited: Feb 18, 2011
  2. Ron Sellers

Ron Sellers 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I'm assuming that since the main topic of conversation regarding the NFL right now is the CBA negotiations and the lockout that seems to be inevitable, then these must be the real-life (not the movie) NFL replacement players from a few years back.

As far as it happening again, I don't see why the owners would do that. Aside from giving the NFLPA ammunition that they are not negotiating in good faith, they don't need the money - despite all the posturing by the NFL about the money they will lose. The NFL has known this was coming for quite some time, so they are well prepared for it financially. And don't forget all the contracts with the networks included clauses that the NFL would still get their payments from the networks in 2010 even if there is no football. Granted the networks will receive a credit back for that missed season, but the point is the NFL will not be hurting for money - and will surely not resort to replacement players again.

3. PATRIOTSFANINPA

PATRIOTSFANINPA Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

Yes you are correct...these were Construction Workers,Postal Employees,Truck Drivers and Fitness Instructors called into the line of NFL football duty for the first 3 weeks of the 1987 Season which included a preseason game...The Pats played 2 games as week 3 was called off so the REAL team players could return after a week to get ready.

I don't think it will happen again,it was an embarrassment to the league even though those replacement guys played hard and actually were 1 and 1 winning a game against the Dolphins and losing to the Jets

I am not sure if ANY of those players during the replacement strike ended up playing after the real players got back.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2011
  4. part-timer

part-timer On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

I'd say the washington redskins greatly apreciated and remember 1987 as well as 1982, both strike years and super bowl wins.

5. part-timer

part-timer On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

If I remember properly the players struck after the 2nd game forceing a cancelation of the 3rd game, and replacement players played games 4,5,and 6. The regular players resumed the season on week 7, thus only a 15 week season. If I remember correctly Washington had a higher number of players crossing the picket lines, thus their success.

6. Calciumee

Calciumee PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -1

#3 Jersey

Answer to your question - no, I wasn't born :)

7. Ron Sellers

Ron Sellers 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I did a quick search and found one WR with Dallas that stuck around for the rest of that season plus the following year. Just like in The Replacements movie, many Dallas Cowboy players crossed the picket line and played in replacement games, after the Cowboys owner told players they would lose annuities that were part of their contract by refusing to play. Some notable names of replacement players include Saints coach Sean Payton, UCLA coach Rick Neuheisel, Arizona coach Mike Stoops, and record executive Suge Knight.

8. Calciumee

Calciumee PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -1

#3 Jersey

Payton ended up over in the UK playing for Leicester Panthers. And one of the guys I used to play football with was his left guard on that team :)

9. FCB02062

FCB02062 Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +143 / 36 / -26

I remember seeing live news footage of Irving Fryar and other locked out Pats players "protesting" the arrival of replacement players to old Foxboro syadium. Fryar was perched on top of a pick up truck holding a rifle...f#cking genus....:D

10. robertweathers

robertweathers Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +595 / 16 / -5

Fryar was not playing with a full deck back then.

11. FCB02062

FCB02062 Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +143 / 36 / -26

I'm pretty sure Ray Clayborn "took up arms" in the parking lot too...morons....

12. Patsrock

Patsrock Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +48 / 0 / -0

I do not believe since it will be a lock out and not a strike, replacement players can not be used.

Also the Redskins did not have ANY players cross the picketline in 1987.

13. TrueBeliever

TrueBeliever 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I heard that after the '87 fiasco the NFLPA put it in the CBA that the owners can not use replacement players. But you're right, this would be a lockout and not a strike.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.