PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Do you Realize we SHOULD be Undefeated

Status
Not open for further replies.
Only 2 teams have gone undefeated in the regular season, and fewer than 30 teams (2008 Titans were the 23rd team) have even reached 9-0, so the notion that this team should be undefeated simply runs counter to reality.

Now, I will say that they should have won the Cardinals game (bad call by the refs), arguably would have beaten the Ravens but for the lousy officiating, and lost to Seattle because a rookie safety didn't understand the concept of "don't let anyone get behind you", so they [highlight]could[/highlight] be 9-0, but they could also have lost to the Jets and Bills, and even the Broncos.

So, with their level of play this year, the Patriots [highlight]should[/highlight] be 7-2 or 8-1, but they [highlight]could[/highlight] be anywhere from 9-0 to 4-5. Given that situation, 6-3 is disappointing but not terrible. They've got a two game lead in the division and have the inside track for a home game in the playoffs.

Last edited:
90% of the guys I work with are fans of other teams and they all tell me the same thing....

As long as you have Brady; you will make the playoffs and

IF you had a average defense nobody would beat you.

I can't understand how this defense has been so bad the last 4/5 years.

We won our SB's with defense and had no all pro's.
Was it Crennel ?

These players we drafted were good in collage.
i think your secondary makes them an average defense

now if you had near what the bears or texans have, then wow.....

but even then, texans did get blown out huge by GB, and it's not like the bears don't get blown out time to time as well

not this year, but every once in a while, that style of bears D will give up a HUGE game

It does swing both ways you know. Sure, a play or two against the Cards, Ravens, or Seahawks gives the Pats a couple extra wins, but one more defensive stop by the Jets, one final TD by Fitz, and Willis McGahee not choking the game away and sports talk radio around here would be unintentional comedy.

Not here to talk crap, so please don't come after me.

It does swing both ways you know. Sure, a play or two against the Cards, Ravens, or Seahawks gives the Pats a couple extra wins, but one more defensive stop by the Jets, one final TD by Fitz, and Willis McGahee not choking the game away and sports talk radio around here would be unintentional comedy.

Not here to talk crap, so please don't come after me.

I absolutely agree with you 100%, and if you notice a few posts above you, Deus Irae pointed out the exact same thing.

It sucked to lose 3 games by one, one, and two---don't get me wrong; but if you also factor in the Jets and Bills games, and even the Denver gaffe at the end, you come out to a decent record of 6-3.

I believe that we could realistically be 7-2 at best with one more game in the W column, but definitely, definitely..not 9-0.

Could have been 9-0
Could have been 3-6

Just how the league goes.

This. Just as the Pats "should" have won the Arizona, Baltimore (they *did* win that one....the frickin' kick was actually wide), and Seattle games, they also "could" have lost to the Jets, the Broncos, and the Bills.

I really think their record *should* be 7-2 right now (the Baltimore game should be a win).

Only 2 teams have gone undefeated in the regular season, and fewer than 30 teams (2008 Titans were the 23rd team) have even reached 9-0, so the notion that this team should be undefeated simply runs counter to reality.

Now, I will say that they should have won the Cardinals game (bad call by the refs), arguably would have beaten the Ravens but for the lousy officiating, and lost to Seattle because a rookie safety didn't understand the concept of "don't let anyone get behind you", so they [highlight]could[/highlight] be 9-0, but they could also have lost to the Jets and Bills, and even the Broncos.

So, with their level of play this year, the Patriots [highlight]should[/highlight] be 7-2 or 8-1, but they [highlight]could[/highlight] be anywhere from 9-0 to 4-5. Given that situation, 6-3 is disappointing but not terrible. They've got a two game lead in the division and have the inside track for a home game in the playoffs.

Best post in the thread.

Well said. Coulda-shoulda-woulda cuts both ways. Whether we slice the pie as 9--0 or 4--5, we are 6--3.

Lets focus on Indy, then two straight division games on the road, win at least two (hopefully all) of them, lock up the Division and see if if we actually are a 13--3 team or a 10--6 team after week 17, not what we might have been.

Last edited:

Let's look at some of the guys on those defenses. Richard Seymour, Ty Law, Rodney Harrison, Willie McGinnest, Tedy Bruschi, Mike Vrabel, Ted Johnson, Ty Warren. They might not all be HOF's but it's not like they're average.

We have a secondary full of average to below average to poor players. The only one that may be above average is DMC and he still really hasn't been consistent enough to be mentioned in the same sentence as those guys. The personnel is the problem on D, at least in the secondary it's nowhere near what it was in the SB days. Front 7 is promising.

That said, I do miss Romeo.

...We won our SB's with defense and had no all pro's.
Was it Crennel ...

In 2003, Seymour, Harrison and Law were First Team All Pro, and Bruschi was Second Team All Pro.

In 2004, Seymour was First Team All Pro, and Bruschi and Harrison were Second Team All Pro.

Seymour was a HOF-level player.

Last edited:
90% of the guys I work with are fans of other teams and they all tell me the same thing....

As long as you have Brady; you will make the playoffs and

IF you had a average defense nobody would beat you.

I can't understand how this defense has been so bad the last 4/5 years.

Was it Crennel ?

These players we drafted were good in collage.

Guess that Colorado legalization initiative is working out ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back