PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Do you miss Pioli now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

carolinatony

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Not me.
I heard some questions about who was the real brains calling the shots for us when he left. It appears we know now if you had any doubts.

Fyi from the Chiefs board

The Patriots are making trades left and right and grabbing more picks.

They have 2 firsts and 2 seconds next year already. They made 4 trades in the 2nd round, right? Maybe all day. Whatever.

The Chiefs made a trade... and gave up 2 picks for it.

It is crystal clear in my mind that Pioli have VERY LITTLE to do with the success in New England. He should have stayed there, and stayed a myth.

The Chiefs picked Mccluster when they had Jamall Charles and Thomas Jones.

Fail.

Fail.

Good point there. With two thousand yard running backs, there was absolutely no use for the Dexter McCluster pick. Not a huge fan of that pick, however I do really like the Eric Berry one.

I agree. Belichick has taking the wheeling and dealing trading up a notch exponentially, all while taking EXTREMELY solid picks at great value. I now get the feeling that Belichick's style was previously watered down by working with Pioli. The past two drafts without Pioli have been EXCELLENT.

I am extremely interested to see how Pioli, Weiss, Crennel, and McDaniels all do in the next few years. It will really write the final chapters on who was really behind what, and responsible for what specific success.

Last edited:
I was extremely pleased with last year's draft and it appears that this one is on the road to being a solid draft as well. Do I miss Pioli? Nope. I do wish him success in Kansas City though...

Nope, don't think I do. At all. No offense, Scott. :D

Feel bad for Matty C., though. Hope they get him a decent OLine one day before he gets killed. :(

About a week ago, I posted in a thread about this. I thought last years draft was good. Not great, good. But it was better than the drafts over the 3 years or so previous. I said if the Pats had a good or better draft this year- maybe Pioli was making things worse, not better. Too many chefs...

I'm pretty happy with the draft so far. We won't really know how this draft is for quite a while, but it looks pretty good right here, right now. Like most here, i wish Pioli the second best of luck.

If he was jamming the gears all these years, our luck came when he left! :D

Not me.
I heard some questions about who was the real brains calling the shots for us when he left. It appears we know now if you had any doubts.

Nope, no doubt now!!

Mystery_Man_Ernie_Large.jpg

:D

Fail.

I was puzzled by the McCluster pick as well. Jamal Charles was a poor mans Chris Johnson (that might be pushing it a tad, I know) last year and Thomas Jones should be a good bruiser for them...why take McCluster?

I do hope it works out...I want Cassel and Pioli to do well.

I was puzzled by the McCluster pick as well. Jamal Charles was a poor mans Chris Johnson (that might be pushing it a tad, I know) last year and Thomas Jones should be a good bruiser for them...why take McCluster?

I do hope it works out...I want Cassel and Pioli to do well.

Versatility. He's like a Percy Harvins or Josh Cribbs. KOR, PR, WR, RB, QB etc.

He is a rare talent if used properly. Watching tape of him tells you why the 40 yard dash is a crock.

Fail.
In fairness to KC, McCluster is more than just a RB. He has experience at WR and is probably one of the best slot receiver prospects in this draft.

Fail.

If you consider McCluster a slot WR it's not a fail. The guy has great hands.

Not really, they're converting him to WR.

I don't understand why they would do that given the plethora of WRs that were left available (that had actually played WR full time in college). IMO, McCluster is insurance in case Jones really is on his last legs.

By looking at KC's draft, I'm starting to wonder who had the final say on the selections. Berry and McCluster were surprises while I thought Arenas and Moeaki were solid choices. With that said, I think that the Patriots have done a far better job this year than KC. Caserio and Belichick have picked up extra picks by moving up and down the draft almost effortlessly.

Even if the Pats' picks don't pan out, they have shown that they can manipulate the draft in a dozen different ways.

I'll take the last 2 years drafts over the 5 previous combined so the answer would be no.

Some of the vet personnel decisions last year didn't work out, however.

I refer particularly to tight ends and pass rushers.

Yeah, I know tight ends is essentially a coaching decision and Pioli had deals as bad as Burgess, but still ...

... OK, on the whole I don't miss Pioli. He did have a run of drafts that were lame past the first round.

BB's draft day moves reflect his strength as a strategic thinker in recognizing the value positioning of a player he wants to draft. He has the confidence in his judgments and the credibility and authority to consistently trade down (or infrequently up) and get the player he wants while adding a extra or future pick as an option. Not all GMs have that cpability or necessarily share that philosophy.

Coach Billick on the NFL Network said something interesting: He said most coaches/GMs time horizons are dictated by the length of their contracts. So Carolina Panthers whose coach is in his last year of his contract, can trade away next year's second for a late third round this year. In short, without job security, the Panthers management is willing to borrow from the future to win now. BB on the other hand appears committed to staying at the helm for the next few years -- hence can plan for the long haul.

I think the partnership had gotten stale. Sometimes change is a good thing.

i don't miss him at all last years draft was the best by the pats in a long time.

as far as KC picking Mccluster, i don't think thats a fail he will not be a starting RB he will be kevin faulk, 3rd down back/KR

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes