PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Do you make the trade?

It all depends on who is still on the board at 29 and who they project to be on the board at 35. If there are still a number of guys available at 29 they are comfortable with and believe at least one of them will still be there at 35 then sure, I have no problem with the value of the trade back. If the draft falls badly though and there is only one or two of their main targets left then maybe not. The situation is the key to this scenario.
This is a very good point. I believe there is always a 5 player surprise in every draft. What I mean is 5 players that people considered early or mid 2nd round picks are taken in the first round and 5 who were thought of as low 1st round picks fall to the early/mid 2nd round. The Pats may come out with their best draft in several years because the type of players they need can be available in the 2nd , 3rd and 4th. If the right player(s) are still available at 29 and are not what other teams need, I can see the Pats dropping and getting additional 3rd and 4th picks. If they drop, I don't think it will be any lower than 36.

Depends on what you call big 5 TE? I consider Rodgers or Gillmore in the 4th or 5th as better value than Niklas or Fiedorowicz in the 2nd or 3rd. I actually prefer the two talent wise as better fits but that's just me. I'm sure others will disagree due to eye popping combines/underwear numbers or they watched the games and really liked what they saw.
If Belichick rates either of the players you name as being near the fit of those available at 93, then Belichick will wait. Personally, I'm not sure that Belichick has any of these 4th and 5th rounders rated higher than Hooman or Williams.

I suppose I have a bias that I shouldn't have. I think that 4th rounders always make the team, and 5th rounders or later are competing for a roster spot. So, I am fine if Belichick thinks that a couple of TE's are worth our pick at 130, if they are even left. I suspect that the top 5 will be gone by the end of the 3rd.

So, yes, the choice may be to overdraft at 93 or to trade up from 130 to overdraft in the 4th. IMHO, the picking are thin at TE.

It all depends on who is still on the board at 29 and who they project to be on the board at 35. If there are still a number of guys available at 29 they are comfortable with and believe at least one of them will still be there at 35 then sure, I have no problem with the value of the trade back. If the draft falls badly though and there is only one or two of their main targets left then maybe not. The situation is the key to this scenario.

I guess the question can be split into 2 part. Will you make the trade now? Or will you make the trade when you already who have been take in the first 28 picks.

I won't just say yes without knowing who's available at 28 pick.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back