PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Do you like our defense today?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red_Sox_Fan

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
It has been mixed up today. Is our defense up to the challenge today?

HELL yes, RODNEY is THE BOMB. He wasn't going to let it slip thru his hand twice in a row. I ABSOLUTELY love that guy.

We only allowed 6 points in the 2nd half. Taylor rushed for less than 50 yards. Jones-Drew was nowhere to be found. Garrard did a great job picking apart our zone D. It was pretty obvious that they were trying to stay away from the blitz, probably saving it for next Sunday.

Well, the goal is to win the game, and they did just that.
Pats defense held the #2, built to beat the Pats, rushing offense to 82 yds.
82 friggen yards!
The scheme put the game in Garrard's hands, and he played a pretty solid game, but not good enough.

I was disappointed with the soft coverage by the secondary, but it tightened up a bit more in the second half.

For all the talk about the Jags run game vs ours, it was lopsided..... in favor of Maroney, who out gained MJD, Taylor, & Garrard combined.

I'm sure the scheme will look completely different next week against the Colts, but Addai doesn't command as much attention as Taylor & Drew.

Pretty much a vanilla look so that Frankenstein has very little to go on for next week.

No bliting first half, blitzing second half and #31 was laying the wood.

They did what they had to do.. when they needed to do it. The run game for Jacksonville was less than stellar and 6 2nd half points.. I'll take it.

When I think about it, they probably intended on putting the game in Garrard's hands. I bet that the coaches didn't expect Garrard to play so well considering his lack of playoff experience. He wasn't who we thought he was. So, considering the fact that we shut down their awesome running game, maybe this wasn't that bad of an effort by the D.

The Jags and Colts are a couple of the best offenses in the league and they were both held to 20 points by our defense. I have no problem with how they play.

If not for a lucky TD throw and a spot-on lob, the D doesn't allow a TD tonight. I think they are OK.

For comparison, when Indy played Jax in Indy a few weeks back, they allowed Jax 411 total yds, and MJD & Taylor ran for 156.
2 Turnovers, 1 a Garrard int, cost them that game.

I was really disappointed when they didn't get off the field on the 95 yd drive for a td. A stop there would have opened the flood gates.

Fwiw, Manning is not nearly that hard to tackle compared to Garrard, and Addai doesn't present the threat that MJD & Taylor present as a whole.

I don't know if anyone here thinks the Patriots D is as dominant as it's been in some other years no matter what the stats may say. But the main idea is to win the game. They held the Jags to 2 FG's in the 2nd half while getting 2 TD's and a FG themselves. All the D really has to do is keep the other team from out scoring the great Patriots O. Look at the average point differential for the Patriots. t's not really a question of if the Patriots D can stop the other teams O, but can the other teams D stop the Patriots O. The Jags D really didn't stop the Patriots O. A missed FG, penalties and a Welker drop did or they'd have had more points.

I think our defends played poorly in the first half, 2nd half we play alright, not great for me but good enough.

I still say that our half time adjustment were pretty good, it's a completely different defends in the 2nd half.

However, it really drive me crazy when Gostkowski missed that field goal... That I wouldn't accept!

Last edited:
If not for a lucky TD throw and a spot-on lob, the D doesn't allow a TD tonight. I think they are OK.

If? Lucky? Jeezuz, you are a generous type. The guy played outstanding QB.

I think our defends played poorly in the first half, 2nd half we play alright, not great for me but good enough.

I still say that our half time adjustment were pretty good, it's a completely different defends in the 2nd half.

However, it really drive me crazy when Gostkowski missed that field goal... That I wouldn't accept!

ya they brought the heat in the 2nd half and none in the first half.

that's the major difference.

those blitzes made downs 2nd and long or 3rd and long.

the defense did what it needed to do

I was blasting the Pays D all game, almost had to turn off the TV in the first half (i was a nervous wreck) but I am ok now, because 1. we won the game and 2. The D did what they were probably supposed to do, which was to stop the run. The Jags i guess avergaged around 130 YPG this year and we held them to 80! that was great! I think the Pats may have underestimated Garrad's play making ability (he looked pretty darn impressive this game) and the plan was to make him make plays. he rose to the challenge and fell short in the end because of some of the Pats adjustments. overall, i think the D probably did what they were asked to do. stop the run first and bait Garrad into playing a passing game. It almost blew up in their faces, but it didn't. Great game. Lets hope for blowouts here on in!! GO PATS!!

Garrard played well using the middle of the field. They didn't get easy scores and they couldn't run consistently.

It's agonizing to watch, but playing patiently we will outscore them and we did.

They had a great game plan and executed it.

And they lost.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back