PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Do you have a favorite chair (and other rituals)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriot Artist

On the Roster
Reaction score
OK. You can't get to the game but you're watching it at your favorite party. What are your game day rituals?

I've been going to the same Pats party since Pats/Bears SB. I don't have a fave seat, but it's understood that the seat you pick at kickoff is yours for the party.

Lots of food and drink, and yes, chips and dip galore.

Spouses optional.

Car radio on 104.1. Kitchen radio: ditto.

Betting a must.

Wearing the requisite jersey.

Shouting loud enough to scare non-indoctrinated kids.

Explaining The First Down Concept to said youngsters above, as a Pats fan rite of passage.

Guys/Gals? Your turn.

Last edited:
I always start out lying down on the large part of our sectional couch, but after just a few minutes I always end up on my green chair, leaning forward for the rest of the game. I don't go to a party usually, because I have to have all my stuff near me, so I'm always at my house. The couch and wearing the lucky Maroney jersey and lucky (but filthy) hat are the only requirements.

Last edited:
I find wearing all my Patriots Super Bowl Champions hats at the same time effective - it worked through the whole 21 game win streak, and the last few weeks as well...

Cool. At some point we'll have to discuss "When Things Aren't Going So Well On The Field".

Do we eat / drink more?

Or do you keep put, fists clenched, screaming out plays?

Sometimes I gotta get up, and tank up. Note that my party's seat rule allows me instant access back to my chair when Brady begins The March, or when Asante makes his move and speedy pick.

Well I already went through half the 3lb box of Cheez-Its last week, but thankfully it's seperated by 2 bags. So I have a fresh bag to open on Sunday. :D Other than that I will be in my favorite side of the couch lounging to another Pats win over the Colts.

Cool. At some point we'll have to discuss "When Things Aren't Going So Well On The Field".

Funny you should mention that. I made a drastic move and took my Brady jersey off during the fourth quarter of the SD game. Troy stripped it on the very next play. You're welcome. :D

Having said that, the only coffee mug I drink out of on game day is a Pats mug.

I have to sit in my recliner, although I'll pace the floor behind my chair if/when it gets tense.

I have a favorite stuffed Pats ball, which I will pass around the room on a whim. If it hits the floor I have a special hex-reversing dance. Also, I pick a defensive coordinator to hold the ball when the Pats are on D; my cat has been lights out this year. I'm considering giving her a multi-year extension.

At this time, I feel I should mention that I'm 33 years old and married. To a girl.

I'm a nut case.

I cross my right leg over my left at the ankles, wear the same jeans, wear combat boots, hold the TV clicker with my thumb over "previous channel." At any time, I can change the mojo for good or bad by clicking the button. But the more I use it, the less affect it has. So things have to start going very badly for me to click it. Once I clicked it inadvertently and Brady through an interception.

A couple years ago against the Broncos, things looked so bad that I just gave up on my rituals and grabbed my electric guitar, started playing Led Zep's Black Dog. The Patriots came back and won. I did it again that year for the Texans game. The Pats came back and won. I was very close to resorting to it during the Chargers game but I stuck to the rituals. I broke out with Black Dog this year only during the Dolphins game. It didn't work. I think I need a new song.

I don't have a specific ritual. I just kind of go through the first quarter or so feeling out how the game reponds to my actions.

For instance, some games, NE can do nothing wrong while I am listening and then as soon as I start watching they play like crap. So I get a Gino and Gil fix.

This past week, NE was outscored 14-0 during the time that I was on the phone with a friend, after they had played to a 3-0 draw for the first quarter. Immediately my buddy and I instituted a "no talking during live action" rule and NE's play improved.

Some people just don't realize how much you can do to help your team.

I yelled at my little sister (she's almost 23, so I can yell at her) when she left the room to go to the bathroom and Brady threw his first pick. I told her, "You go to the bathroom when I say you go to the bathroom!"

P.S. We're all insane.

I'm a nut case.

I cross my right leg over my left at the ankles, wear the same jeans, wear combat boots, hold the TV clicker with my thumb over "previous channel." At any time, I can change the mojo for good or bad by clicking the button. But the more I use it, the less affect it has. So things have to start going very badly for me to click it. Once I clicked it inadvertently and Brady through an interception.

A couple years ago against the Broncos, things looked so bad that I just gave up on my rituals and grabbed my electric guitar, started playing Led Zep's Black Dog. The Patriots came back and won. I did it again that year for the Texans game. The Pats came back and won. I was very close to resorting to it during the Chargers game but I stuck to the rituals. I broke out with Black Dog this year only during the Dolphins game. It didn't work. I think I need a new song.

How about "Sailing" by Christopher Cross?

or maybe "Jump" by the other Kris Kross?

The game-days I wear Tom Brady shirt :cool:

I have a can of mountain dew that I have had since the snow bowl game. It sliced my ear open when someone threw it to me and it went through my hand and hit my ear (it was frozen). The said can now resides on top of a television during the playoffs. Last year, i brought it to school with me after the Jags game, and they lost to the broncos. Needless to say, it is at home this year, residing on top of my friends tv where it has been for the past 3 weeks. That can is now 12-1 in the playoffs. It hasnt been opened.

As for myself, I have worn the same jersey/pants/socks/shoes/undershirt the entire season, and sit in the same seat. I turn my hat around for each change of possession, and if my friends are not in my apartment by game time, they get locked out. i am a psycho.

How about "Sailing" by Christopher Cross?

or maybe "Jump" by the other Kris Kross?

Come sail away, come sail away, come sail away with me? That one?

Man, I'm going to have to learn that song, and then if it doesn't help, I'm telling the board you suggested it.

Gotta eat New England style clam chowder with buttered Ritz crackers, washed down with bottles of Coors Light. When things start looking bad, I give the Tom Brady bobblehead a tap and that seems to work like a charm. :rocker: Yeah I think we are all nuts, but hey whatever works.

Last edited:
I do laundry. The dryer really seems to help them. I don't know why. Sometimes I have been known to vaccum. The noise of the vaccum cleaner helps as well.

This Christmas, a friend made a candle for me. It's a Saint Pigskinus of Canton prayer candle. On the back there is a prayer which I repeat before every game. It goes:

A Patriots Prayer

Oh Saint, Oh Saint
Watch O'er My Team.
Please help them play so I won't scream.
A Big O'le Win for Blue and Red
Will save me from an exploding head.

I watch with my sister and brother-in-law on their 50" and HDTV. The only ritual I have is to wear something with a Pats logo. Often I'll have my Pats boxers and a shirt or pullover with pats logo. And my bobble head Pat Patriot from Dunkin Donuts has to be on top of the TV.

I finally got a replica jersey this year. I could never bring myself to spend the 65 bucks for one. Modells had a 33 percent off mens apparel coupon on Black Friday so I grabbed one. But, I'm afraid to wear it. Since I never had one in previous SB runs.:help:

The sad thing is the majority of us are probably grown men with children (I know I am).

I find that I can't sit during playoff games, the severity of the game is too intense. I pace the room and become a play caller, a BB in my own right.

During game time, its as though my wife and children cease to exist. My wife can't speak to me during these games because I literally can't understand a word she says, it's like she's speaking another language (Does anyone else have that problem?). Occassionally during comercials I come to, but I'm never really there.

If we win, the house may look like a tornado went through it but I'm still on cloud nine. If ever we should lose in the playoffs, my only satisfaction is knowing that Peyton Manning didn't make it either (I know it's pathetic but during those moments you really need something to help you hold it together).

Here's to another AFC championship game. May all of your dingy hats, filthy jerseys, bloody soda cans, stinky recliners, crazy dances, classic rock songs, and bobblehead figures shine upon our team as they so graciously have in the past.

God Bless The Fans!!!

My wife used to completely ignore me during games. During SB36 she actually fell asleep on the couch in the living room while I was watching the game. When AV's kick went through the uprights I jumped and screamed, which startled her out of her dreamland and she woke up all freaked out. But she has definitely changed... a few years of unbelievable winning and she has become a true believer. Last Sunday night when Steven's kick went through we jumped up and down and screamed together!

And back to the main topic, you all know it's our collective mojo that is keeping them winning. The hats, his can, the bobble head doll, the laundry, it all comes together like a great cosmic river forms from a million tiny rivulets, and forms an irrestible power that cannot be denied. So everyone, keep doing exactly what you believe helps the Pats win!

Last edited:
I find wearing all my Patriots Super Bowl Champions hats at the same time effective - it worked through the whole 21 game win streak, and the last few weeks as well...
i put all my superbowl hats along with the world series redsox hat on my coffe table in front of my tv for good karma.sometimes i will jam one into the tv when a oppossing player is on and tell him to taste how sweet it is then i tell him to go f himself and then i either foam at the mouth or just start mumbling somthing under my breath then my girl friend will try and calm me down without much sucsess.

Last edited:
Sounds great, everybody.

Has anyone ever watched a TV game with an Outworlder present (a fan of the opposing team)?

Another question: what are your score rituals? Do you have to high five or fist bump a particular person... and if you fail to do so, have you jinxed the game?

How about on first downs? And high fivers for FD's?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots