Welcome to PatsFans.com

Do you HATE the other party?

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by PatriotsReign, Aug 14, 2009.

1. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Hall of Fame Poster

Ratings:
    +414 / 4 / -15

#18 Jersey

My personal opinion is that it is extremely childish to hate the political party that you don't belong to.

That isn't an intended as an insult in any way, it's just a common sense observation. Thankfully, in America, we don't really have any extremists. We don't bomb those of the opposing party because we are not at war with our fellow citizens.

It's amazing how things can escalate on this board. I have never witnessed such polarization of democrats and republicans in "REAL LIFE" as I do here. But I believe the recession has placed a lot of stress on us and the increase in perceived conflict has resulted.

The anonymity of the internet also breeds an increase in hostilities. It seems many of us come here to vent pent-up anger and frustration. It could even be possible that some of us have issues in our lives that are causing inner turmoil and we come here and transfer that frustration upon "the other party".

Maybe I'm wrong, but as our parents always told us;

"It's wrong to hate"

2. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +715 / 2 / -9

I never did but I do now.

3. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +165 / 5 / -0

#91 Jersey

I don't hate any party, but i don't like extemests on either side. Both parties have good ideas and if your and extremest your likely to dismiss any idea the other party has even if its good.

Now on this board the most extreme people as is the case on the street are Rt. wing conservatives, I'm pretty consevative on a number of issues myself like illegal immagration, parental rights, consent, and abortion (can understand both sides of the issue) especialy late term abortion, i'm very pro military. I have to say that i cannot condone the ignorance, anger and vitriol shown here and on the street by the conservative wing of the Republican party, in fact as i'm sure you've noticed i'm always confronting these posters to the point i think most people here think i'm liberal, in some cases i'm not, i just don't like ignorance and hypocracy.

Maybe i'm naive for thinking issues should be judged on their merit pragmatically not by some political litmus test.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2009
  4. apple strudel

apple strudel Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

No. Hate is an unthinking lever.

5. STFarmy

STFarmy In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

I don't hate any party, and I don't consider myself a member of any of them. I always sound like a broken record on this topic, but this polarizing partisanship is doing nothing to help our country. It's fine to disagree, and it's fine to get into a debate. But the way many tend to bicker now solely based on whatever party they or their opponent belong to is gross.

6. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +287 / 11 / -10

Hate is a word a reserve for a few evil people in history. As far as the Republican Party goes, I think it's at an all-time ethical low point, but I don't hate the Party. It's an American institution that struggling to stay relevant while at the same time holding on to the past. You have multiple viewpoints running at the same time, but the MSM naturally promotes those which are most controversial.

7. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +414 / 4 / -15

#18 Jersey

Flex, I think you & I have much in common. I interprate the attitude of the righties here to the fact that they lost the election....as a matter of fact, they were embaressed in last year's elections.

The difference between you & I is that people may think you're liberal and think I'm conservative. Which is funny because my social friends often call me a communist.

But you're right on the money with your comments that no party has all the good ideas. I'd hate to live in a this country if we were all democrats or all republicans.

8. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +414 / 4 / -15

#18 Jersey

I think you & I often comment on the ugliness here army...yet we stay.

Go figure, huh?

9. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +715 / 2 / -9

democrats don't hate republicans as long as the republicans act like democrats (except yelling at protests)

10. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

There's hope yet, as we see.

//

11. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +414 / 4 / -15

#18 Jersey

I sometimes wonder how much the media has elevated the conflict between the 2 parties.

12. godef

godef In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

:yeahthat:
    I am fully capable of having a civil debate with someone on the right, in fact I did so regularly at a former job (my boss, and no, that's not why I don't work there anymore).

But if the someone starts making up or pushing assinine ideas like death panels, government sponsored euthanasia, and government upsurping of parental rights, and the like, then the debate is no longer civil. If someone smacks me in the mouth, I will smack them back. If someone talks down to me like some sort of idiot, I will treat them in kind. But I will NEVER resort to dirty politics and I will never accept it from either side. I stand by my politics, and don't resort to cowardly smear campaigns (OK tanked may be an exception:)). I had quite a few strong debates with NEM when he was around, and he was quite liberal, though frankly I thought he was embarrassing to the liberal cause. On the other hand, I have disagreed with the likes Patters now and again, but any resulting discourse has been civil and I never get mud slung back at me when I do. My current campaign is not about smearing anyone, it is about, among other things, calling out the people who do the smearing.

Call me naive, but what I hate is dirty politics, pure and simple.

13. reflexblue

Ratings:
    +165 / 5 / -0

#91 Jersey

I'm a registered Independent, thats the closest i can come to registered Pragmatist because thats how i try to approach things including politics. If you take a pragmatic approach to things theres no RT. theres no LT. your left with whats the most objective way to solve a problem.

14. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +715 / 2 / -9

They are responsible for almost all of it both Fox/NBC

15. reflexblue

Ratings:
    +165 / 5 / -0

#91 Jersey

I wouldn't say i'm a conservative per sa Godef. i view myself as a pragmatist, it should trancend political ideology. I try but sometimes it doesn't happen.

I have view points that would be considered conservative, but i have view points that would be considered liberal. Ex. lets say i hae a sixteen year old daughter who becomes pregnant, i don't want her to have the ability to gt an abortion with out my knowing about it. But on the other hand i know kids will be kids and all the talking in the world isn't going to work as far as abstenance.

I also realize that there are parents out there that would go ballistic and the kid would be terrified to tell.

16. Mabeyitstrue

Mabeyitstrue Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

17. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +418 / 12 / -26

They revel in this stuff as it makes good ratings, bad news, hysteria and lies sell...

Hate is a wasted emotion, and takes up way too much energy.. chose to avoid it as much as I can.

18. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +568 / 6 / -2

What too many people don't realize, is that Coke and Pepsi want people to hate the other party with all the fiber of their being. It's good for business. The more polarizing, the better. Think of it as being a Redsox/Yankees, Bruins/Montreal type deal. The more hatred, chaos, and hype their is, the more blind the sheep become. The one thing that Coke and Pepsi will agree with, is polarization, and partisanship. It's what keeps people blindly faithfull.

19. STFarmy

STFarmy In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

I try not to constantly because you're right, I stay. And that's the nature of politics today. But I figured this was a good thread for me to repeat myself in again. :)

And RW, you're right, they sure do love us bickering at each other and picking apart stuff. It keeps our mind off the crappy job they're both doing.

20. reflexblue

Ratings:
    +165 / 5 / -0

#91 Jersey

I think your right, but my view is it comes from shadowy figures on the right and left that fund it from the top. We most likely don't even know who these people are especialy on the LT. To me its likely a corporat conglomerate.

Aas long as "we the people" are divided and fighting amongst our selves were easy targets to be taken advandtage of.... for profit etc.