Welcome to PatsFans.com

do you feel free ...

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by PressCoverage, Nov 18, 2007.

?

do you feel 'free', overall?

1. Yes or mostly

14 vote(s)
    77.8%
  2. No or significantly not

4 vote(s)
    22.2%
  1. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

in the world these days?

a complicated question, sure...

interpret it any way you like, but please vote...

i'll make it an anonymous poll ...

2. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +809 / 26 / -33

This is a relative, albeit a very philosophical, concept and can be taken on many levels. Too keep this sort the anwer is a comparative yes, I can pretty much do what I want, when I want to do it. There are limits overall, but nothing that impedes my day to day functioning.

3. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

was gonna leave this vague... but i guess let me be slightly more specific about how i interpret the question these days with personal friends of mine...

think 1st amendment... think internet, cell phone, email, networks, social conversation, attendance at functions, symposiums, lecture halls, library accounts, ... etc. ..

do you, as an adult American, believe you are truly free to read what you want, or say what you want without repurcussion? i don't even mean outlandish stuff like freedom to spew hate speech or perversion in front of a school or church, or private function... i mean simply your right to access information, to sharing information... conveying a different message to others ...

Last edited: Nov 18, 2007
  4. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,113 / 3 / -10

I don't see how we could possibly have any more freedaom than we do now, what freedoms are there left to have, we have them all now.

We are so free that it is starting effect our way of life, in many city's citizens have to put bars on the windows of their homes and three or four locks on their doors, we are so free that freedom now prevents us from walking through our public parks after the sun goes down because there are human animals in that park exercising their freedom to rape and rob, we are so free that our enemies can "freely" enter our country and kill us, we are so free that freedom is becoming dangerous for the country, our freedom is now a weapon for the Left Wing Progressive to use to destroy our freedom.

12 million criminals have used our freedom to invade our country (illegal aliens).

Millions of people all over the world hate America but they all want to live here.

Stay out of Central Park tonight, there are some "free people" waiting for you in there, they want your wallet and your sneakers, and remember, if they should get caught beating your brains out, "They Have The Right To Remain Silent"

As you can probably assume I voted "Yes"
    :bricks:

5. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +563 / 22 / -19

I think the U.S. is just about the free-est country in the world, and yes I feel free. But, of course, we're all restrained in some ways by our nature and our environment. It's unlikely any of us would push the envelope with regard to our freedom -- go the beach in a woman's bikini, cheat on our spouse, walk at night in a neighborhood where we're not welcome, smoke a joint on the T, ask a stranger for a bite of his sandwich, drink and drive, and so on. It's also not likely that any of us want to engage in criminal behavior -- such as murder, theft, rape, or vandalism.

I think maybe an equally good question would be, Have you ever tested the limits of freedom here? I did once by participating in a sit-in in the New York State Assembly. Along with the others, I was forcibly removed by police who simply let us go. I didn't find that unreasonable.

But, really anyone who answers 'no' must want to do things they feel they can't do. I mean, I'm vehemently opposed to the government's invasion of our rights and privacy (because it can be used to restrain our freedom), but as a practical matter it doesn't affect me. Whether the government spies on me or not, I know they're not interested. I'm part of the mainstream, as probably all of us here are.

6. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +777 / 17 / -23

#24 Jersey

Absolutely.

7. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +1,113 / 3 / -10

8. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +894 / 7 / -3

I sure am.

9. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +1,113 / 3 / -10

Where else would somebody like Cindy Sheehan be allowed to run around loose
    (what happened to her after she kissed Chavez) :confused:

Vote Yes

Last edited: Nov 19, 2007
  10. Patriot_in_NY

Patriot_in_NY Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +41 / 0 / -0

Help, Help....... i'm being REPRESSED. :singing:

{one of the best scenes evh-ah}

11. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

forgive the thread necromancy... but the tally is interesting... especially considering HR 1955 that is on the horizon... a diabolical piece of legislation that no "Righty" here has yet commented on...

however i believe we're much further along than most people think in terms of descent into a police state...

obedient righties generally have nothing to worry about, as long as they pay their taxes, don't rock the boat, and advance to upper management status by age 50 or so...

the rest of us who have spoken out... on the Net, or elsewhere, are most certainly on "the list"...

make no mistake about it... ordinary people are being delayed when they fly, careers sabotaged, phones monitored, computers compromised, and on and on and on... we're losing America...

people shouldn't fool themselves into thinking that the Patriot Act and HR 1955 are only for radical fundamental terrorists only, ... or, if you "do nothing wrong, you have nothing to worry about"...

silent obedient concent... it's what they want... just like in Germany in the late 1920s...

Naomi Wolf spells it out as clear as anyone right now ...

disgusting that some people -- on this board, and in every walk of life -- actually condone the police state... or pretend we're overreacting, even though the evidence is everywhere...

12. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

You are a prick, Harry. This woman is grea-a-a-a-t!!!

:D

I voted "Yes", btw.

//

Last edited: Nov 30, 2007
  13. Fogbuster

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

"Be quiet!!"

"Peasant".

A bit dated, but very funny anyway. :singing:

//

14. Fogbuster

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Domestic air travel in the U.S. is a royal pain in the arse. But other than that, I don't see any big incursions into private "rights". Actually, I think there is way too much emphasis placed on "privacy" and "private matters" in the U.S. I always wonder: "what are people so worried about that they need to keep everything so 'private'???? What are they actually HIDING??" A lot of shucking and jiving going on in America at the moment.

//

15. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +1,113 / 3 / -10

My wife listens to Streisand once in awhile, she starts off beautiful then when she hits her high notes I have to run out of the house, it's like having an ice pick stuck in my ear, my dog howls when Streisand hits hign C, liberals love her, my wife doesn't even know what a liberal is, my wife thinks WWII is still going on, she will live to be 200 years old, she hasn't read a newspaper since 1939, I wish I was stupid.

My brother in law takes his dog out at 11PM every night, all winter long he just wears a tee shirt, he's to f-cking dumb to know it's cold, this runs in their family, my father in-law was 118 when he died, his picture was on the front page of the National Enquirer some years ago, he claimed he could
    "see through his ears" I never doubted him, he used to sit "sideways" when he watched TV, none of my kids have inherited any of this sh!t but I imagine it will pop up somewhere down the line.

16. Fogbuster

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

:rofl: ...... :rofl: ......... :rofl:

Stop, you're killing me!! Tears are coming to my eyes.

:D

//

17. Turd Furguson

Turd Furguson Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I'm free
    to do what I want
    any old time

18. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +1,113 / 3 / -10

Free At Last, Thank God Almighty, Free At Last.
    America, Home Of The FREE and the brave, our freedom allows our enemy's to kill us, they use our freedom to try and destroy our freedom.

We are free to stand in front of the White House with a sign that says, "Mr President You Are A F-cking A$s Hole"

Wino's are free to sh!t in playgrounds.

19. scott c

scott c On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

I do not feel completely free...I feel more and more liberties are slowly being eroded from my rights....watch what you say and whom you associate with......watch where you go and how you look............dont say that over the telephone.........:eek:

20. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

actually, no you're really not...

but you're a good little righty... you'll be fine