Welcome to PatsFans.com

Do you Feel Bad for Greece?

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by PatriotsReign, Feb 4, 2012.

1. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Hall of Fame Poster

Ratings:
    +417 / 4 / -15

#18 Jersey

In some ways, I do feel bad for them. Mainly because they're screwed and have no choice but to live within their means.

They've basically become the laughing-stock of the world and their country is headlined almost everyday in financial media and often the general media.

The latest is that Greek citizens are telling their leaders they refuse further cuts and additional taxes. And I understand that 100%.

But the kicker here is that if they do not make further cuts, no one is going to bail them out. It's like a child who puts their head under water and refuses to come up for air in defiance of their parent.

At some point, the Greek story will end and it's not going to be pretty. And when it finally happens, I'll no longer feel bad for Greece. They deserve what ever is coming to them.

Greece’s leaders oppose new austerity measures

"Representatives of the so-called “troika” – the European Commission, European Central Bank and International Monetary Fund – have demanded further cuts in government jobs and severe reductions in Greek salaries, including an immediate 25 per cent cut in the €750 minimum monthly wage, before agreeing the new rescue."

Greece’s leaders oppose new austerity measures - FT.com

2. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +576 / 6 / -2

Do I feel bad for them. Is that a serious question? Absolutely not. BTW, whether we like it or not, that IS the direction we're headed in. Sure it'll take us longer to get there, but rest assured the GPS address info has already been punched in.

3. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +417 / 4 / -15

#18 Jersey

Yes, it has, I agree. If individual citizens did what many countries including the United States have done, we'd all be homeless losers. Any person, company or nation that believes it's ok to consistently spend more than they make is insane by any measure.

So yes, the insanity is going to end one way or another...it's just a matter of time.

4. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

Greece is screwed and there's nothing they can do. They don't have the resources to dig themselves out.

Comparing them to the US is absurd, IMO. We are not headed there, and even if we were, there are many more options for us. We have all the resources we need to survive, the most powerful military times 3, and, most importantly, the New England Patriots!

5. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +417 / 4 / -15

#18 Jersey

I don't think "we're screwed" like Greece and I doubt RW meant that. But we will have to stop spending more than we collect. That day is coming upon us.

Our citizens should also WANT our gov't to stop spending more than they collect as we are leaving a tattered nation to our children if we don't act soon.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2012