Welcome to PatsFans.com

Do You Favor Blacks or Whites?

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by PatsWickedPissah, Apr 26, 2006.

1. PatsWickedPissah

PatsWickedPissah PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +3,072 / 26 / -17

Disable Jersey

2. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +837 / 27 / -33

After taking this test I come up with:

Your data suggest a moderate automatic preference for White American compared to Black American.

Which is probably fairly accurate, did not need a test to come up with that though...

3. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +598 / 24 / -19

I got the same. Interesting test, but would be more meaningful if they explained their conclusions or showed some kind of curve to show where we fit in in each category. At any rate, as you said, a test wasn't necessary to come up with that. I suppose it's for research purposes.

4. Pujo

Pujo Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Interesting site, PWP. I'll try this when I get home this evening.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2006
  5. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +797 / 18 / -23

#24 Jersey

I didn't take the test but I know I have a preference for Whites. Duh. I'm white. ON AVERAGE - I have more in common and a more similar upbringing. That doesn't mean I prefer every white to every black but I think 99% of any race has an inherent preference for similar people.

6. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +837 / 27 / -33

Sometimes you don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.

7. PatsWickedPissah

Ratings:
    +3,072 / 26 / -17

Disable Jersey

Yo, I bees a white ass honkey too but I scored no preference. Go figure. The 2nd link explains about such tests and how to 'beat' them if you're inclined to be dishonest.

The test watches to see if you 'hesitate' in making reverse choices, thereby measuring implicit association of positive and negative attributes with target races.

8. PF1996

PF1996 Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Flawed test

In my opinion and my test results proved it. Took one test - showed "slight preference for whites". Took second test - showed "moderate preference for blacks". Difference in tests is that the second test started with blacks on left. Reality - I have no racial preferences. Problems with this test that I noted right away...letter association. I assumed in beginning that 'E' was for "european american"...and that 'i' was used for blacks to enable ease in the test taking. In the first test I also had a hard time remembering where the words should go since I focused on the letters instead of the position. Second test, I just focused on the position instead of the relevant letters and went much faster. I also followed the directions so that my hands were in a typing position which again allowed for faster selections. There's also the problem of hand preference, I'm much more comfortable when typing involves letter selection from the left side of the keyboard rather than the right side [hence the "moderate preference for blacks" when the test began with blacks on the left side]. The contradictory results I got in this test in both direction AND intensity demonstrate its flaws. If I really had a preference for whites, that preference should have been strenghtened not weakened with familiarity. Assuming a preference for blacks, the first result should have indicated that regardless of familiarity.

This test didn't define what it means by "preference for" although on the basis of the test it certainly appears it's a substitute phrase for preferential TREATMENT of [i.e. racism] not preference for "similar upbringing". Yet another problem with the test. People will accept it though since it provides confirmation of the obvious in a way that implies the characteristic is innate rather than learned.

9. PatsWickedPissah

Ratings:
    +3,072 / 26 / -17

Disable Jersey

I think that those are reasonable criticisms of weaknesses in the test. Great demonstration of critical thinking - quite rare in these parts.

Me, I guess that my ultra-fast professional athelete reaction time coupled with unparalled ambidextrous ability evened things out for me.

10. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,153 / 5 / -10

Go Orange :rocker:

11. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

Baaaawhaaaawhaaaaawhaaaaaw!
    I think you're lookin at a top ten draft spot!:D :bricks:

12. gomezcat

gomezcat It's SIR Moderator to you Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Your data suggest little to no automatic preference between Black and White.

I'm not sure what it means other than that I don't associate the word bad with black. That said, I was conscious of that while I was doing the test. I should point out that all of my friends are white and I choose to live in a neighbourhood that is overwhemingly white. I'm liberal but choose not to live in areas with high rates of poverty and crime, which is where the majority of black people live in this city. We are starting to get a black middle class but we are way behind the US in that respect. I work in such an area, though, so make what you will of that.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2006
  13. gomezcat

gomezcat It's SIR Moderator to you Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

No, there are major character issues which mean that he will remain undrafted. For example, there is his selfishness in not giving me his season ticket and paying for me to fly to Boston each game day. Then, there is his rabid prejudice against Neil Entwistle, who is CLEARLY innocent (cough, splutter).

14. Kdo5

Kdo5 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +194 / 9 / -7

Your data suggest a strong automatic preference for White American compared to Black American.

:confused: I dont however