Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Will Maroney rush for 100 yards each vs Jets and Dolphins

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Really, you don't seem to get it, and you're putting on the blinders.

The Patriots haven't run the ball a lot recently, so we'd have to assume they're going to change that trend for Maroney to go over 100 yards in each game. Also, I like how you changed the meaning/wording of your poll after the fact. Originally you only asked if "Maroney will", and since people have voted that he won't you've turned it into them saying he can't. That's two entirely different things, and I'm sure if you had changed the wording of the original poll the results would be different.

Frankly, you're proving yourself to be more and more like NSA with every word you type, and your man crush for McFadden is simply ridiculous.

He conveniently ignores the poll with the wording of "COULD"...

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/showthread.php?t=70481

Debunked based on what? Maroney's production on the ground as a RB is surpassed by 37 OTHER runningbacks in the National Football League. Considering that Maroney is the Patriots #1 RB and that there are only 32 teams in the NFL, his production clearly puts him in #2 RB territory. I don't get why you are so obssessed to prove that Maroney is a #1 RB when he clearly doesn't have the numbers to support such a belief.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categoryst...263-s=RUSHING_YARDS&d-447263-o=2&d-447263-n=1

It reminds me a lot of the Reche Caldwell defenders last year and how there were massive threads about him. And this year after he gets CUT, not a single peep or mea culpa from his former supporters. I'm not particularly worried whether you believe the FACTS, this will all be resolved sometime in 2008. Until then we will have to survive with Maroney at tailback. But that doesn't mean we have to delude ourselves into think that he is something better than what he has shown himself to be.

You've been debunked on your theory that the voters of this poll don't have confidence in Maroney's ability.

You've been debunked on your ridiculous usage of nit-picky small sample stats.

You've been debunked that Maroney is terrible when given the chance.

Stop using the word "FACT" as well because you clearly have no idea what it means. The only fact we know is that the patriots have chosen not to run a lot lately. You cannot factually or even logically draw a conclusion that the reason is because Maroney "sucks".

It's always funny how you use Maroney's YARDAGE statistics to compare him as the 38th or whatever RB, considering how few his attempts are compared to most of those above him. Once again showing your ignorance, or your agenda-driven nit-picky lying.

You continuously fall back and harp on the fact that maroney does not have a lot of yardage which can be a direct correlation to the FACT that he has NOT been given many attempts. Why he hasn't been given many attempts is not a known fact to anyone besides the Patriots coaching staff. However it is extremely less likely that Maroney is just "bad" than it is a combination of many factors including the new run blocking schemes, the only RB left on the roster who the coaches want to run the ball, the fact we have the best passing game in the history of the game, the fact that we can throw the ball 20-30 times in a row and STILL move the ball almost at will, etc.. etc...

Now I'm done with this topic, you've made your guess on why he isn't being used. Stop lying, tilting facts and just accept the fact that you do NOT KNOW and are simply making a guess, and not even a very educated guess either.

Here's a great reason for the Patriots to run the football, they are facing the #30 and #32 ranked run defenses in the NFL respectively. :)

And the #31 and #27 pass defenses (with regard to YPA) in the NFL...

If the Patriots don't run the ball, you are suggesting that you are more intelligent than the Pats coaching staff because you believe they SHOULD, that's funny. I guarantee if the Pats coaches felt they SHOULD then they'd be running, doesn't matter what RB they have on the team.

The only semi-proof you would have of BB's lack of confidence in Maroney would be if the Pats ran the ball often and early (not in a blowout) with other running backs and not Maroney. If they abandon the run altogether it does virtually nothing to support you, unless you can read the coaches minds?

You've been debunked that Maroney is terrible when given the chance.

Not at all. Nobody has disproven the fact that Maroney averaged 3.06 ypc when Dillon had 10 or less carries in 2006. The reason it can't be disproven is that it's a FACT. Maroney simply does better when there is another main guy to carry the football with him. However when he was the #2 back in 2006 and shared an equal number of carries with Dillon, Maroney managed a respectable 4.22 ypc. I've never said he is "terrible", that's your own interpretation. I have merely pointed out that he is suited to be a SIDEKICK RB, not the "main RB". That's hardly the worst indictment that has been directed at Maroney this year. I could also go into the differences in performance when Maroney had Morris and Maroney without Morris, but I'm sure you're already aware of Maroney's 3.04 ypc over the last 5 games without Morris statistic.

Stop using the word "FACT" as well because you clearly have no idea what it means.

www.dictionary.com:
Fact (-noun)
something known to exist or to have happened: Space travel is now a fact.

All the FACTS, I have listed have been known to have happened. Therefore they are facts. All the excuses you have thrown out to defend Maroney exist only in your own speculation and imagination.

It's always funny how you use Maroney's YARDAGE statistics to compare him as the 38th or whatever RB, considering how few his attempts are compared to most of those above him.

Yes, it is funny that I used a FACT, and you can only respond with conjecture.

However it is extremely less likely that Maroney is just "bad" than it is a combination of many factors including the new run blocking schemes, the only RB left on the roster who the coaches want to run the ball, the fact we have the best passing game in the history of the game, the fact that we can throw the ball 20-30 times in a row and STILL move the ball almost at will, etc.. etc...

And the litany of excuses begin... Thank you for proving my point.

Stop lying, tilting facts and just accept the fact that you do NOT KNOW and are simply making a guess, and not even a very educated guess either.

I have presented no lies, only FACTS and easily verifiable numbers. I usually present links for you to verify my numbers as well. Well I can accept the FACT that you have presented no numbers in defense of Maroney, only your own wild speculation, which I'll take with a grain of salt, but thank you.

You may verify the numbers yourself at the following links:
http://www.databasefootball.com/players/playerpage.htm?ilkid=DilloCor01
http://www.databasefootball.com/players/playerlog.htm?yr=2006&ilkid=MARONLAU01
http://www.nfl.com/players/laurencemaroney/gamelogs?id=MAR273311

Last edited:
Well, due to the weather I think it's a prime time to see Maroney run the ball. No excuses this week.

Well, due to the weather I think it's a prime time to see Maroney run the ball. No excuses this week.

Exactly, I've got my popcorn ready. Let's enjoy the show! Pats should put up a LOT of points on their opponents in the upcoming weeks.

When did you become Belichick's game plan grader and teacher?

When did you become Belichick's game plan grader and teacher?

Around the same time you did, lording around the board with your nose high up in the air. Keeping us peon fans in check :rolleyes:

Around the same time you did, lording around the board with your nose high up in the air. Keeping us peon fans in check :rolleyes:

I'm not the one cracking out the "no excuses" nonsense, you are.

I'm not the one cracking out the "no excuses" nonsense, you are.

Jets poor Run D + Expected snow leads me to believe that they'll run the ball. So yes, I think we should see a lot of Maroney this week. Just because I think that way doesn't mean I'm trying to give BB a gameplan :rolleyes:

Anyways.. apparently that's a little too tough for you to comprehend. It's okay, you gave it your best shot champ.

Jets poor Run D + Expected snow leads me to believe that they'll run the ball. So yes, I think we should see a lot of Maroney this week. Just because I think that way doesn't mean I'm trying to give BB a gameplan :rolleyes:

Anyways.. apparently that's a little too tough for you to comprehend. It's okay, you gave it your best shot champ.

Snow Bowl 2001 vs the Raiders

Brady goes 32 for 52 for 312 yards while the running game has only 30 carries total, including a run by Troy Brown and 5 by Brady himself

Anything else, champ, or are you going to realize that this is a passing team? It's one thing to talk about possibly running the ball more, it's another thing to say something as moronic as "no excuses".

Last edited:
Count update:

17 think that Maroney will gain 100 yards rushing, and 39 think that he won't.
That means that 70% of voters do NOT believe that Maroney will reach 100 yards rushing against respectively the #30 and #32 ranked rushing defenses in the NFL. Well those are the numbers, what more is there to say? :D

There's no setup involved. The question is straightforward.
there IS a setup. It's NOT straightforward. I voted NO because...

1. I don't think it's BB's gameplan to rush Maroney a lot.
2. With the well in advance forecast of bad weather I see it being more of a short passing game day GIVEN the Pats World class QB + wideouts.

Against Miami, I think Maroney might gain 100, but that was not the poll question

Not at all. Nobody has disproven the fact that Maroney averaged 3.06 ypc when Dillon had 10 or less carries in 2006. The reason it can't be disproven is that it's a FACT. Maroney simply does better when there is another main guy to carry the football with him. However when he was the #2 back in 2006 and shared an equal number of carries with Dillon, Maroney managed a respectable 4.22 ypc. I've never said he is "terrible", that's your own interpretation. I have merely pointed out that he is suited to be a SIDEKICK RB, not the "main RB". That's hardly the worst indictment that has been directed at Maroney this year. I could also go into the differences in performance when Maroney had Morris and Maroney without Morris, but I'm sure you're already aware of Maroney's 3.04 ypc over the last 5 games without Morris statistic.

www.dictionary.com:
Fact (-noun)
something known to exist or to have happened: Space travel is now a fact.

All the FACTS, I have listed have been known to have happened. Therefore they are facts. All the excuses you have thrown out to defend Maroney exist only in your own speculation and imagination.

Yes, it is funny that I used a FACT, and you can only respond with conjecture.

And the litany of excuses begin... Thank you for proving my point.

I have presented no lies, only FACTS and easily verifiable numbers. I usually present links for you to verify my numbers as well. Well I can accept the FACT that you have presented no numbers in defense of Maroney, only your own wild speculation, which I'll take with a grain of salt, but thank you.

You may verify the numbers yourself at the following links:
http://www.databasefootball.com/players/playerpage.htm?ilkid=DilloCor01
http://www.databasefootball.com/players/playerlog.htm?yr=2006&ilkid=MARONLAU01
http://www.nfl.com/players/laurencemaroney/gamelogs?id=MAR273311

How is it possible to be this ignorant? You have given FACTS but you draw false conclusios based on those facts.

If I flipped a coin 5 times and it landed heads all 5 times, that does NOT mean I "suck" at flipping tails.

I also have never said anything about Maroney other than he has a lot of talent and potential, whether or not he CAN or CANNOT be the #1 back and take a large bulk of work remains to be seen, but nothing that has happened in his career can factually prove one way or the other.

The cherry-picked stats you choose are FACTS.
The conclusions you draw based on those stats are NOT FACTS.

The results of this poll is a FACT.
The conclusion you drew based on the results is NOT A FACT.

Snow Bowl 2001 vs the Raiders

Brady goes 32 for 52 for 312 yards while the running game has only 30 carries total, including a run by Troy Brown and 5 by Brady himself

Anything else, champ, or are you going to realize that this is a passing team? It's one thing to talk about possibly running the ball more, it's another thing to say something as moronic as "no excuses".

wow, you have to go back 6 years when antowain smith was our starting rb? Good job there buddy, you really showed me!

I will say this, Maroney bashers - I do expect to see much more Maroney this game than in previous games.

Though not privy to everything (or for that matter, anything), in the Pats' FO or coaching staff, I'll stipulate to the following:

- The Jets are much better against the pass than the run
- The weather will be sloppy and cold
- Despite the "actually the offense has the advantage when it's really cold and sloppy and windy" contingent, I think these will be better conditions for a ground attack
- This SHOULD be a more balanced week, especially given that you'd want a tune-up for more windy cold weeks.

I'll add the following:

- I think if we don't see 15-20 carries for Maroney, he's not considered a guy who can handle the load (15X16 would = 240 carries, even taking a "heavyish" week as the average.)
- I think the team likes what he is able to come away with on the carries they give him.
- I think they would like more consistency
- I think Maroney may be more of a "project" than a now-or-never proposition than you are thinking.

I've said he'll be over 100 yards from scrimmage. If I don't see that, I'll definitely be thinking more along the lines of after this season, the staff will reevaluate what they've got.

PFnV

wow, you have to go back 6 years when antowain smith was our starting rb? Good job there buddy, you really showed me!

I'm sorry, did my taking the most obvious and striking example throw you off or something? To get 9 snow games at the home staduim, you have to go all the way back to 1978. Instead, I just took the very first, and most famous, Tom Brady snow game. How is that supposed to be something worthy of dismissal?

However, just to please you, let's look at all the Brady home snow games:

Raiders 2002
52 pass, 30 pass (5 runs by Brady) Clearly a passing game
Leading rusher: Smith, 65 yards on 20 carries

Dolphins 2003
31 pass, 34 run (2 runs by Brady) basically a 50/50 split
Leading rusher: Smith, 60 yards on 27 carries

Jaguars 2003
34 pass, 32 run (1 run by Brady) Again, a 50/50 split
Leading rusher: Smith, 39 yards on 17 carries

Colts 2004
37 pass, 32 run (5 runs by Brady) passing game
Leading rusher: Smith, 100 yards on 22 carries

Colts 2005
27 pass, 39 run (4 runs by Brady) running game
Leading rusher: Dillon, 144 yards on 23 carries

Jets 2005
37 pass, 35 run (4 runs by Brady) another 50/50 split
Leading rusher: Dillon, 65 yards on 16 carries

So, out of 6 home snow games, only 1 can be said to have been a running oriented game. Furthermore, out of the 6 home snow games, only twice has running the ball led to a 100 yard rusher. As for the "antowain smith was our starting rb" comment, Maroney's never played a home snow game for the Patriots, so it's not as if there's a direct comparison available. The current team is having perhaps the greatest passing season in history and, barring high winds, it's certainly more likely that the team will pass more often and run less often than in similar past situations than it is that the team will do the opposite.

Last edited:
I will say this, Maroney bashers - I do expect to see much more Maroney this game than in previous games.

Though not privy to everything (or for that matter, anything), in the Pats' FO or coaching staff, I'll stipulate to the following:

- The Jets are much better against the pass than the run......
PFnV

The Jets are tied for 27th in average yards per play against the pass, allowing 7.6 yards for an average. They are tied for 23rd in average yards per play against the rush, allowing 4.3 yards for an average.

New England's offense is 15th in average yards per rush, gaining 4.0 yards per carry. New England's offense is tied for first in average yards per pass, gaining 8.6 yards per pass.

BB will do what BB wants to do, naturally. I simply think it'll be what it's been of late, incorporating a lot more passing than running.

Last edited:
Why was Sammy Morris so effective then.

Morris averaged 4.5 a carry.
Maroney averages 4.2 a carry. Thats more than Willie Parker, Joseph Addai, Marshawn Lynch and the same as McGahee.

Maroney isn't have a 1000 yard season because a) he was injured (a legitimate concern) and b) how he has been used.

Maroney DVOA - 18.8%
Morris DVOA 18.5%

People just have to have something to complain about. When your team is undefeated and perhaps the best of all time, you have to reach.

The Jets are tied for 27th in average yards per play against the pass, allowing 7.6 yards for an average. They are tied for 23rd in average yards per play against the rush, allowing 4.3 yards for an average.

New England's offense is 15th in average yards per rush, gaining 4.0 yards per carry. New England's offense is tied for first in average yards per pass, gaining 8.6 yards per pass.

BB will do what BB wants to do, naturally. I simply think it'll be what it's been of late, incorporating a lot more passing than running.

Then why did I read on this very board that the Jets' pass D was 11th, and their run D was 30th?

Then why did I read on this very board that the Jets' pass D was 11th, and their run D was 30th?

That's total yards, not yards per play.

Gotcha Deus. But that's usually how the league ranks the defenses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back