PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Do we want Javon Walker?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bakes781

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
The Packers have been rumored to be shopping the WR. They've been reported to have trade talks with 5 teams. If I were Pioli I'd certainly inquire about a deal. They're probably looking for a late 1st or early 2nd round pick.

Not at that price with him wanting a big contract and having to re-sign Branch too.

bakes781 said:
The Packers have been rumored to be shopping the WR. They've been reported to have trade talks with 5 teams. If I were Pioli I'd certainly inquire about a deal. They're probably looking for a late 1st or early 2nd round pick.

I heard that they set on a 1st rounder if they were to trade. I like him, but not that much. As Bum Phillips once said, "I love my wife, but I wouldn't trade a 1st round pick for her".

Would you take Walker or Holmes or Moss? Which would you think would produce the most over the next 5 years? Where is the value?

The issue for me is never giving up a draftee for a proven veteran. I would almost always do that if I had the need. The issue is compensation and value.

Personally, I would make the trade in a heartbeat, although I might want to give any first, and trade down to gain a pick before executing the trade.

I'd give up a 3rd rounder AT BEST for Walker or Stallworth. Maybe a 2nd for Stallworth, but I doubt it. A 1st rounder is a non-starter. That's ridiculous.

I would not give up a first rounder for Walker he is damaged goods.

The Pats got Dillon for what a third.

Dillon was for a second. Walker is damaged goods, I wouldn't give up anything more than a low 3rd/high 4th. I wouldn't give anything for Donte Stallworth, I'd give something up to get him off my team. Watched him play for the Saints down in San Antonio this past season, he's awful. No toughness, takes plays off constantly, won't come up with anything across the middle... all he's got going for him is his speed. It'd be like getting a shorter Bethel Johnson, except with even more apathy involved.

Forget Walker, draft Stovall!!!

mgteich said:
Would you take Walker or Holmes or Moss? Which would you think would produce the most over the next 5 years? Where is the value?

The issue for me is never giving up a draftee for a proven veteran. I would almost always do that if I had the need. The issue is compensation and value.

Personally, I would make the trade in a heartbeat, although I might want to give any first, and trade down to gain a pick before executing the trade.

I'd take Stallworth before Walker...

mgteich said:
Walker is the better bet. But his cap hit would be 4-5 times more too. No thanks.

Both Walker and Stallworth want new contracts. Walker coming off a knee injury. Why give up draft picks and then pay huge contracts. I don't see BB doing that. He will take care of Branch first.

Didn't we already have this thread when the Packers were shopping Walker last week?

spacecrime said:
Didn't we already have this thread when the Packers were shopping Walker last week?

oops sorry I'm sorta new here :bricks:

mgteich said:

If you removed Drew Rosenhaus from the equation, I would do the trade for a 2nd rounder, though not a 1st. I also wouldn't use a first on Holmes, Moss, or Jackson. I just don't see the value relative to adding another receiver later on in the draft.
You also have to look @ the history of the Pats salary structure since BB arrived. They have a reputation for being cheap (though they have spent to the limits of the cap every year), and in a certain way they have been. They seem to save their money for the more irreplacable parts. In the meantime, they spend very little on other areas where players are more easily replaced. Obvious areas are the interior OL, S, ST, and WR. We are probably have to pony up money this year for Branch in excess of the contract Givens just signed, so in my opinion we are less likely to use a 1st (more expensive) draft pick, or go out and get an expensive vet. Just my take.
...and don't even get me started on Drew Rosenhaus & the artificial free agency he seems to try and create...

Why are people saying that they would rather have Stallworth than Walker?
Is it because of money? Walker is a proven 1,000 yard reciever why wouldent you want him? I still would not trade for him, they are asking too much.

patsfan2113 said:
Probably because he's coming off ACL surgery.

They have a reputation for being cheap (though they have spent to the limits of the cap every year), and in a certain way they have been.

The Pats are not cheap. They spread their money out over the entire roster, instead of giving all to one or two guys, which in turn adds depth. I remember seeing it posted here the Pats have more million dollar plus salaries every year than any other team.

patsfan2113 said:
Is it because of money? Walker is a proven 1,000 yard reciever why wouldent you want him? I still would not trade for him, they are asking too much.

No, it's because Walker had a devastating knee injury last year and seems like more of a pain in the *****, to boot.

Willie55 said:
The Pats are not cheap. They spread their money out over the entire roster, instead of giving all to one or two guys, which in turn adds depth. I remember seeing it posted here the Pats have more million dollar plus salaries every year than any other team.

You kind of cut off the message. I said that they were cheap (in re: to the rest of NFL teams) in certain areas of their roster, so that they could spend on other areas. This is part of their "value" theory. If you want I'll throw you a link to prove my statement.

patsox23 said:
No, it's because Walker had a devastating knee injury last year and seems like more of a pain in the *****, to boot.

that was my reasoning

and Stallworth seems like a decent guy based upon media coverage of his hurricane efforts...

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes