PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Do we still need a another WR??

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think "need" is the right word.

I think it is fair to say we still have room to upgrade.

Why not take a chance on Charles Rogers? Somebody will. If the guy is going to realize his potential - and he has/had a lot of it - wouldn't it be with a QB like Brady?

I would love to take a chance on the guy - I mean, who is going to flourish in Detroit anyway?

Last edited:
Patsfanin Philly said:
Darnerien McCants recently cut by the Eagles, 6"3', 215 is also a good ST player. He had a great camp catching everything thrown to him but with the trade for Donte Stallworth and them carrying only 5 WR, he became expendable. He's a 5 year vet who'd come cheap (relatively so) but he's not a #2 or#3, more like a #4 or #5 receiver with size........

Just my $0.02,

Thanks, PFiP; I meant to include McCants on my list, but had a brain fart instead. 610WIP does not come in very well here in Hershey; how are the folks there (esp. Ray Didinger, he is terrific) reacting to the cut?

p.s.: Matt Ware, another eagles cut, is a CB/FS in whom I was very interested during the '04 draft. With the losses of MMitchell, Tebucky and little Guss Scott (no great loss there), a body for ST is now needed.

captain stone said:
Practice squad? If Mike Hass is claimed tonight, he is our #3 WR tomorrow, behind Troy and Gabriel, and ahead of Bam (maybe) and Caldwell (definitely). Chad Jackson is the Mystery Guest.

There are a lot of WRs out there now, incl. Jerome Pathon, Alex Bannister, Skyler Green, Darius Watts, Charles Rogers, Rod Gardner, Randy Hymes, Jabar Gaffney, Quincy Morgan, Peter Warrick and Tyrone Calico. We need to sign one more, two more if we do the smart thing, which would be to upgrade from Caldwell.

Even if nobody is signed immediately, I hope that at least some of these FAs are brought in next week for workouts. The FO needs to stay aggressive and alert, for both WRs and LBs.
Perhaps Hass moves up that fast, he certainly impressed me in the Shrine game, but I think Caldwell gets a little longer to prove his metal, having Hass on the P-Squad to learn the offense is good insurance and competition. Some of the others may merit a look, but unless they're a Special Teams hot shot (such as Bannister), I don't see any immediate upgrade for poor Reche's slippery fingers.

I wouldn't mind seeing the Pats add Matt Ware either. But not at the expense of LeKevin Smith or Pierre Woods.

Who do you replace in the secondary?
You've got Chad Scott, Hobbs, Hawkins, Samuel, Gay, Harrison, Sanders, Wilson, and Willie Andrews.

So, who do you replace?

Bethel was let go. Maybe he learned his lesson. I'd like Bioli to give him a call and see where is head is at. He has all the tools to be a very good WR in the NFL...but if his mind isnt right...if he still hasnt wised up...then no harm done with just a phone call.

DaBruinz said:
I wouldn't mind seeing the Pats add Matt Ware either. But not at the expense of LeKevin Smith or Pierre Woods.

Who do you replace in the secondary?
You've got Chad Scott, Hobbs, Hawkins, Samuel, Gay, Harrison, Sanders, Wilson, and Willie Andrews.

So, who do you replace?

I think that 10 DBs is the perfect number. Add Ware, or Keith Adams, etc. and remove the fossilized remains of Izzo and Davis.

captain stone said:
I think that 10 DBs is the perfect number. Add Ware, or Keith Adams, etc. and remove the fossilized remains of Izzo and Davis.

Also, there seems to have been some confusion on which WARE was released by the Eagles. I know that SCOTT WARE, a safety from USC was released. Was Matt Ware ALSO released?

Zuma said:
Bethel was let go. Maybe he learned his lesson. I'd like Bioli to give him a call and see where is head is at. He has all the tools to be a very good WR in the NFL...but if his mind isnt right...if he still hasnt wised up...then no harm done with just a phone call.
For the PS only. I wouldn't cut Childress or Andrews for Bethel, he can't even return punts.

captain stone said:
Thanks, PFiP; I meant to include McCants on my list, but had a brain fart instead. 610WIP does not come in very well here in Hershey; how are the folks there (esp. Ray Didinger, he is terrific) reacting to the cut?

p.s.: Matt Ware, another eagles cut, is a CB/FS in whom I was very interested during the '04 draft. With the losses of MMitchell, Tebucky and little Guss Scott (no great loss there), a body for ST is now needed.

I'm in Bucks County, northeast of Philly and refuse to listen to 610, it's trash radio with very little sports. I listen to 920 ESPN which is based in Trenton
(Trenton makes...The World says, uh no thanks) and covers sports head and shoulders better.

In addition to McCants, the Eagles cut Matt Ware. For those who remember last year, The Chargers were up 17-13 with 2 minutes left and lining up for a FG. It was blocked and returned 65 yds by Ware for the winning TD. He's always been a solid STer and a smarty, headsy player (DB 6'2" 210) who would fit in well in NE....depending on who had to be cut to make room for him...LeKevin??

Just my $0.02,

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye