PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Do we still need a another WR??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sean Pa Patriot

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
With Gabriel a nice pick up, will we take a flyer on another reciever? Certanially even if we see Branch it is not till week 10, Rodgers, Gardner, and Warrick all available... how about Rod Gardner, for me over Charles Rodgers..

I would take any of the afore mentioned over reche Caldwell to this point who looks to be another poor signing.

It can't hurt. The interesting thing to me is if for some reason, Branch did decide to do the proper thing and honor the contract he signed four years ago, it would make our WR corps pretty salty with Branch, Gabriel and Jackson. Throw in Watson and Brady has more weapons than Rumsfeld.

Why would we think Rogers would wake up here?
Rod Gardner is not a Patriot player.
I don't know about Peter Warrick, don't know what his problems are.
Let's give Caldwell a couple weeks of regular season.

I say we stick with what we got.

I'm not sure I'd go out and sign someone tomorrow. However, if I were giong to pick up one of the wr's cut today, it may be Watts from Denver. He is younger than many of the others listed, has great height, and averages better than 12 yards per catch.

I still want Mike Hass for our P-Squad.

I think we definitely could use another WR, but it being so late, I'm not sure we'd find a guy who could pick up the system quickly enough. Sign me up, though, for a flyer on Watts.

Sean Pa Patriot said:
With Gabriel a nice pick up, will we take a flyer on another reciever? Certanially even if we see Branch it is not till week 10, Rodgers, Gardner, and Warrick all available... how about Rod Gardner, for me over Charles Rodgers..

Only if the right one is available. Gardner sucks, and Rodgers isn't a Patriot type. Not sure about Warrick or somebody else. Need an ILB too.

patsox23 said:
I think we definitely could use another WR, but it being so late, I'm not sure we'd find a guy who could pick up the system quickly enough. Sign me up, though, for a flyer on Watts.
watts would be a solid pick up along with tyrone calico.

Digger44 said:
watts would be a solid pick up along with tyrone calico.
i disagree with this..... and everything else you have ever said.

Besides the Calico thing, i would like to get him.

Keegs said:
i disagree with this..... and everything else you have ever said.

Besides the Calico thing, i would like to get him.

Was he the guy who was not getting enough oxygen because his mouth piece was too big?

Last edited:
Box_O_Rocks said:
I was surprised to see him released, I wouldn't be shocked if a needy team signs him outright bypassing the PS.

BelichickFan said:
I was surprised to see him released, I wouldn't be shocked if a needy team signs him outright bypassing the PS.
One of the 1-20 crowd can claim him off waivers before tomorrow, but if he was left until the 6th round, I don't see clubs getting too excited (like me :D) and grabbing him before the Practice Squads are put together.

The other rookie WRs I saw on the wire I either don't know or felt were nowhere near Hass' potential, BB/SP will have their own ideas, but NE will need to get a WR started on the Practice Squad, if not two, to start grooming the next Childress. Musinski and Erik Davis are available, but BB already knows how well (or not) they play. Henry might also be eligible, Kight I'm not sure. So Hass is my number one FA prospect - not that he wasn't in the draft too. ;)

Box_O_Rocks said:

Practice squad? If Mike Hass is claimed tonight, he is our #3 WR tomorrow, behind Troy and Gabriel, and ahead of Bam (maybe) and Caldwell (definitely). Chad Jackson is the Mystery Guest.

There are a lot of WRs out there now, incl. Jerome Pathon, Alex Bannister, Skyler Green, Darius Watts, Charles Rogers, Rod Gardner, Randy Hymes, Jabar Gaffney, Quincy Morgan, Peter Warrick and Tyrone Calico. We need to sign one more, two more if we do the smart thing, which would be to upgrade from Caldwell.

Even if nobody is signed immediately, I hope that at least some of these FAs are brought in next week for workouts. The FO needs to stay aggressive and alert, for both WRs and LBs.

captain stone said:
Practice squad? If Mike Hass is claimed tonight, he is our #3 WR tomorrow, behind Troy and Gabriel, and ahead of Bam (maybe) and Caldwell (definitely). Chad Jackson is the Mystery Guest.

\.

I agree. Of course.....I'm an Oregon State fan.

But....I still agree.

Alex Bannister, would be a good special teams player..

Is it a necessity? Not if Jackson's return is not too far away.
PATs now have one guy that needs to learn the playbook and
more importantly get reps with Tom. Bring in another WR and
Tom will have two new guys to get up to speed with.
Plus Jackson when he returns will need time with Tom. I know he's Tom terrific
but .... come on.

I think one new WR for now is enough.

I am forced to remember, just because PATs got a new potential great receiver
does not necessarily translate to immediate porductivity. That may take time
as it did with Branch and Givens.

Darnerien McCants recently cut by the Eagles, 6"3', 215 is also a good ST player. He had a great camp catching everything thrown to him but with the trade for Donte Stallworth and them carrying only 5 WR, he became expendable. He's a 5 year vet who'd come cheap (relatively so) but he's not a #2 or#3, more like a #4 or #5 receiver with size........

Just my $0.02,

Put me in the camp that would like to see the Pats add Mike Hass. Hope BB and SP feel the same way.

captain stone said:

There are a lot of WRs out there now, incl. Jerome Pathon, Alex Bannister, Skyler Green, Darius Watts, Charles Rogers, Rod Gardner, Randy Hymes, Jabar Gaffney, Quincy Morgan, Peter Warrick and Tyrone Calico. We need to sign one more, two more if we do the smart thing, which would be to upgrade from Caldwell.

Even if nobody is signed immediately, I hope that at least some of these FAs are brought in next week for workouts. The FO needs to stay aggressive and alert, for both WRs and LBs.

i agree we need to upgrade from caldwell, but do we really need 5 wides? - brown, gabriel, upgrade, childress, watson, graham, thomas, mills, dillon, faulk, maroney, evans, vrabel, andrews might be good for the year. would definitely like to see a receiver added to the ps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back