PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Do we really need to break the bank on Adam?

Status
Not open for further replies.

drew4008

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Hopefully I don't get shot down for this. Now I know Adam's foot has been so special to us, but IMO I don't think we should pay him a few million dollars and make him the highest paid kicker in the league this offseason. He's still a good kicker no doubt, but we really don't need to put that kind of money into a kicker, and I'm sure there'll be some bad weather kickers on the market. Hopefully somebody feels the same way?

I couldn't imagine not having him but if we franchise him again his salary goes up 20% to a little over $3M. It's getting to be a problem, for sure.

For $3mil... hell, for $2.4mil, you shouldn't be missing any playoff FGAs.

I wouldn't be surprised if AV gets franchised this year. I can sort of see where your coming from, but letting the best clutch kicker in NFL history go when he still has something in the tank is foolhardy. I bet the Jets would have "broken the bank" for a kicker of Adam's capability last year. Doug Brien hits a 46 yarder that clangs off the crossbarm while AV comes in and kicks a 48 yarder in COLDER conditions and clears the crossbar with 5 yards to spare. He may have been a tad bit "shakier" last year, but there is no way Kraft and co. let AV get away.

how much was kick in superdome worth?

oldrover said:
For $3mil... hell, for $2.4mil, you shouldn't be missing any playoff FGAs.
47-yards, down the middle, 20 yards high, no sweat, no suspense, intrigue, nothin.
45-yarder, punched thru like a "frozen rope" line drive, off the snow, in swirling winds, kicking for a tie and overtime.
the franchise tag has him close to being highest paid anyway. just DO IT, BB/SP.

Air target bearing 196, angle 060 - batteries release.

drew4008 said:
Hopefully I don't get shot down for this. Now I know Adam's foot has been so special to us, but IMO I don't think we should pay him a few million dollars and make him the highest paid kicker in the league this offseason. He's still a good kicker no doubt, but we really don't need to put that kind of money into a kicker, and I'm sure there'll be some bad weather kickers on the market. Hopefully somebody feels the same way?

2006 FA Kickers

Aaron Elling RFA Ravens
Adam Vinatieri UFA Patriots - 33
Joe Nedney UFA 49ers - 33 (career accuracy all over the place)
Jose Cortez UFA Eagles (ask Bill Parcells)
Josh Brown RFA Seahawks
Matt Bryant UFA Buccaneers (Parcells tried and cut him in 2005)
Mike Vanderjagt UFA Colts - 38
Paul Edinger UFA Vikings - 38
Ryan Longwell UFA Packers - 32
Todd Peterson UFA Falcons - 36 (fine in a dome, lasted a year with Steelers)

Cold weather kickers with an accuracy rating over 80% just don't grow on trees. I guess that's why teams who find one generally hang on to them well into their 30's. Longwell is the second best UFA kicker available (behind Adam) and is also a cold weather kicker. He also wants to be highest paid. The Packers may franchise him for around $2M. Unlike Adam he is very vocal about his financial concern as well as his desire to test the market.

I don't want to see this team sent home on a missed FG to save half a million bucks on a cap of $92M. Kickers will never kill your cap, they only kill your season when they miss. They never make enough money for money to be the deciding issue. Adam's never missed a significant kick or a game for that matter since the day he arrived. He and BB may be locked in a battle of semantics but neither seems to be too concerned. BB doesn't want the highest paid designation on any of his players, but he's been paying Adam the highest salary for a kicker for a few seasons now. He knows it's money well spent, and Adam knows his annual paychecks equal or surpass most elite kickers signing bonuses. Adam isn't going anywhere anytime soon for those reasons.

Box_O_Rocks said:
Air target bearing 196, angle 060 - batteries release.

:wha:

Explain, please. :)

drew4008 said:

Well we didn't lose the last game due to a fg and won all 3 championships by 3 points. I say we keep him. You get what you pay for. Trying to save on your cap and having a kicker like Vanderjagt gets you nothing.

The fact that Adam missed a FG in the Denver game is not a reason to toss him out on his butt! He missed two field goals in SB 38, but that tends to get swept under the rug because we won the game. No one loves Adam more than I do for what he has done in the past and it would kill me to see him in another uniform. He should be paid for what he has done for us without handcuffing the franchise. BB and SP will take care of Adam.

MoLewisrocks said:
2006 FA Kickers

Aaron Elling RFA Ravens
Adam Vinatieri UFA Patriots - 33
Joe Nedney UFA 49ers - 33 (career accuracy all over the place)
Jose Cortez UFA Eagles (ask Bill Parcells)
Josh Brown RFA Seahawks
Matt Bryant UFA Buccaneers (Parcells tried and cut him in 2005)
Mike Vanderjagt UFA Colts - 38
Paul Edinger UFA Vikings - 38
Ryan Longwell UFA Packers - 32
Todd Peterson UFA Falcons - 36 (fine in a dome, lasted a year with Steelers)

Cold weather kickers with an accuracy rating over 80% just don't grow on trees. I guess that's why teams who find one generally hang on to them well into their 30's. Longwell is the second best UFA kicker available (behind Adam) and is also a cold weather kicker. He also wants to be highest paid. The Packers may franchise him for around $2M. Unlike Adam he is very vocal about his financial concern as well as his desire to test the market.

I don't want to see this team sent home on a missed FG to save half a million bucks on a cap of $92M. Kickers will never kill your cap, they only kill your season when they miss. They never make enough money for money to be the deciding issue. Adam's never missed a significant kick or a game for that matter since the day he arrived. He and BB may be locked in a battle of semantics but neither seems to be too concerned. BB doesn't want the highest paid designation on any of his players, but he's been paying Adam the highest salary for a kicker for a few seasons now. He knows it's money well spent, and Adam knows his annual paychecks equal or surpass most elite kickers signing bonuses. Adam isn't going anywhere anytime soon for those reasons.

I like Ryan Longwell and Josh Brown off of that list. I think Brown will be signed by the Seahawks again guaranteed. Not sure about Longwell though, he's spent his entire career in Green Bay so he might want to finish things up there. I'm definately all for letting Vinatieri walk considering the salary that he's going to get.

Bill's Girl said:
He should be paid for what he has done for us without handcuffing the franchise. BB and SP will take care of Adam.

He has been paid for what he has done. He has yet a season to work for free. We DO NOT pay a player for their history. We pay them for their future contributions in order to make history. Paying for the past would ruin a franchise.

Digger44 said:
He has been paid for what he has done. He has yet a season to work for free. We DO NOT pay a player for their history. We pay them for their future contributions in order to make history. Paying for the past would ruin a franchise.

That's a nice sound bite, but in reality pass conduct is the only guide to future performance. I assure you they let him go (and I don't believe they will) the first clutch kick missed by another kicker will cause a revolt from the fans screaming for the head of BB, Kraft and who ever else is perceived as responsible.

Michael said:
That's a nice sound bite, but in reality pass conduct is the only guide to future performance. I assure you they let him go (and I don't believe they will) the first clutch kick missed by another kicker will cause a revolt from the fans screaming for the head of BB, Kraft and who ever else is perceived as responsible.

So what if Adam misses that same kick, has a big contract for the next 4-6 years, cannot do kickoffs within 2 years, and is not what he used to be within 2 seasons. It is like offering a multimillion dollar offer wo Willie. We all love him? yup. Is he amazing? yup. Does he have much left in the tank? maybe a year or two at best. You don't go and throw big money at him. you build for the future, not just today. future conduct of a 36 yr old is far more inportant than the past.

It would be a sin to see AV in any other team's uni.

Digger44 said:
So what if Adam misses that same kick, has a big contract for the next 4-6 years, cannot do kickoffs within 2 years, and is not what he used to be within 2 seasons. It is like offering a multimillion dollar offer wo Willie. We all love him? yup. Is he amazing? yup. Does he have much left in the tank? maybe a year or two at best. You don't go and throw big money at him. you build for the future, not just today. future conduct of a 36 yr old is far more inportant than the past.

Only Adam won't even be 33 until the end of next season, is a demonstrably better kicker than say Brown (who only made 72% of his attempts this season and averages about the same kickoff distance) or even Longwell (whose % is off this year and whose career kickoffs are a tad shorter on average). Longwell would cost as muchas Adam, while Brown, at 27, would potentially save about a million and a half this season, but cost a draft pick in RFA compensation and be a UFA next season (with a franchise tag approaching $2M), not to mention he is far less accurate on the road (64% vs. 86%) in the cold or close and late. Penny wise and pound foolish.

Vinatieri is the most consistently bankable available kicker in the league for the next 4-5 years. He's never missed a start, works out like a football player, and he's clutch (something Longwell hasn't had much opportunity to prove or disprove lately and Brown hasn't been around long enough to have even been tested) and he keeps his mouth shut in public where contracts are concerned.

And because he's a kicker we're talking about a bonus in less than the $3M range on a contract in the 5/$10M+ range - the rest in salary which we know in the NFL is not worth the paper the contract is printed on when cut time comes. A $3M roster bonus prorated over 5 seasons is $600K per year on the cap. If he tanked and we have to cut him with 3 years remaining on his contract, his remaining dead money would be $1.8M (which could be spread over 2 seasons) - about what it will cost to cut Starks after one disasterous CB season alone.

MoLewisrocks said:
Only Adam won't even be 33 until the end of next season, is a demonstrably better kicker than say Brown (who only made 72% of his attempts this season and averages about the same kickoff distance) or even Longwell (whose % is off this year and whose career kickoffs are a tad shorter on average). Longwell would cost as muchas Adam, while Brown, at 27, would potentially save about a million and a half this season, but cost a draft pick in RFA compensation and be a UFA next season (with a franchise tag approaching $2M), not to mention he is far less accurate on the road (64% vs. 86%) in the cold or close and late. Penny wise and pound foolish.

Vinatieri is the most consistently bankable available kicker in the league for the next 4-5 years. He's never missed a start, works out like a football player, and he's clutch (something Longwell hasn't had much opportunity to prove or disprove lately and Brown hasn't been around long enough to have even been tested) and he keeps his mouth shut in public where contracts are concerned.

And because he's a kicker we're talking about a bonus in less than the $3M range on a contract in the 5/$10M+ range - the rest in salary which we know in the NFL is not worth the paper the contract is printed on when cut time comes. A $3M roster bonus prorated over 5 seasons is $600K per year on the cap. If he tanked and we have to cut him with 3 years remaining on his contract, his remaining dead money would be $1.8M (which could be spread over 2 seasons) - about what it will cost to cut Starks after one disasterous CB season alone.

i am so sorry mo, i misread the ages above and thought he was 36.

I do not want Longwell, Brown or any other kicker but Adam V. - not because of all the kicks that you simply know he is going to make before he kicks them, not because of the Snobowl kicks, not because of S/B 36, , not because of all of the clutch kicks in the playoffs not even because of SB 38 - but for the simple reason that unless and until his skills deteriorate - the man is MONEY. A proven winner with clutch for a middle name.

He is "only" 33 and certainly, with the way he takes care of himself has to have at least 3-4 solid years left in that leg.

For the sake of 1/2 or 1MM difference per year - lock this guy up and don't think twice. What a rediculous notion to even consider bringing in another kicker. It's about as crazy to me as saying we do not need to lock up Seymour.

I am quite certain that is exactly what we will do.

The Patriots are in an important game down by 3 or less, there is 10 seconds left on the clock and they are on the 30 yard line and it's 4th down.

Now, ask yourselves this question. Is there any other kicker that you would want to see go on the field in a Patriots uniform other than Adam?

PATSNUTme said:
The Patriots are in an important game down by 3 or less, there is 10 seconds left on the clock and they are on the 30 yard line and it's 4th down.

Now, ask yourselves this question. Is there any other kicker that you would want to see go on the field in a Patriots uniform other than Adam?

No there's not. That being said, I still don't want to pay over $3 million for a kicker.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes