PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Do we need to look for Faulk's replacement?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here we go again. This topic has been rehashed almost as much as the "Maroney is made of glass" threads.

While it's true that Kevin is getting up there in age, by RB standards, you have to consider what he's done in the past. Has he run his body into the ground gaining 1200 yards average a year? NO. Last year was his third best total of his career with 507 yards. Between rushes, and recieving, he only has 6400 yards on those legs.

Kevin Faulk - New England Patriots - Career Statistics - NFL - Yahoo! Sports

Fred Taylor had roughly the same stats (with a lessor rush avg) as Faulk last year. Born the same year. Taylor has 13,500 yards on his legs.
Fred Taylor - New England Patriots - NFL - Yahoo! Sports

Yet, most of the people on this board were overjoyed that BB signed Taylor. Why is it that every month people feel that Faulk needs to be replaced? The Patriots wouldve had trouble the past few years had it not been for Faulk. He's clutch. He's the perfect third down back. He has atleast 2 years left in him, and as long as the price is reasonable, he needs to stay where he is. They have plenty of backs on the roster. There's no need to draft one.

Isnt this the same board that claimed, if Faulk played in KC last year, Brady wouldnt have gotten hurt? Yet, so many people want to turn over 3rd down blocking to a rookie. :rolleyes:

fans are fans...they think up all kinds of crazy stuff....all you have to do is sit through a gameday thread here to see that there is a huge "glass half empty" contingent of Pats fans...sometimes you'd swear the Patriots are coming off 7 years of consecutive 1-15's. I don't think BB is thinking so much about Faulk's replacement as he is about improving the roster using every means at his disposal...if that means drafting a multi-dimensional back in this draft, I won't argue about it. I think Faulk plays out his career here. He's an experienced veteran, sure handed and carries out his assignments. Very valuable to this team.

I'll never understand the cut Kevin Faulk crowd.

If Maroney can learn to block better, I think he has the tools to take over Faulks role. He is pretty dynamic when he catches the ball in space. IMO, they should use him in the passing game more.

I agree - we have Faulk's eventual replacement on the roster. Maroney will improve his blocking, has already developed good hands and isn't the very down back the team thought he would be when drafted. Another couple of years under Faulk's tutelage and he'll be ready to take over.

I would just recall that Dave Meggett, who pretty much played the Faulk role, for the Giants and Pats, lasted until he was 36. Some people say there are only a certain number of carries and punishment in any RB.

As was pointed out, Faulk really doesn't have a 32 year old RB's body. He still has considerable mileage left on the treads.

He was an SEC record-setting back, and was a high-second rounder. Maurice Jones Drew was taken at about the same point. As someone pointed out he is the only guy that he would think of as a Faulk replacement. And I agree. I wanted us to draft MJD, but he was gone before our second round pick.:D

I don't know. On the one hand, his decline doesn't seem to have started.

On the other hand, Bruschi and Vrabel seemed to fall off substantially immediately after each had his one and only All-Pro season ...

If Maroney can learn to block better, I think he has the tools to take over Faulks role. He is pretty dynamic when he catches the ball in space. IMO, they should use him in the passing game more.

Yeah, what he said.
I don't know why they don't throw to Maroney more.

His most productive year was 2000, the year he was supposed to be the main back. He did have two more years of good football after that, Unfortunatley, they were 2003 and 2008.

He's a good third down back, but that is it. He cannot run except a draw when a passing play goes for 5-6 seconds and all the LBs and Ss are way out in coverage and the pass rush leaves a gaping hole so big I could run through it.

Time to take his $3 mil salary and put it to better use.

With the number of times the Patriots run the draw on passing downs, opposing teams HAVE to be looking for it (unless they have the most incompetent coaching staffs you can assemble). Despite that, he always seems to get the first down or at least a good chunk of yardage if it was like a 2nd and 20.

He has an uncanny instinct for the chains, and that's not even counting his contributions to pass blocking, receiving, and special teams. $3m is a good number for all that.

Someone on this board (who is an LSU fan) mentioned something about Faulk in college that they used him like a WR. So don't be surprised if they draft a WR and use him in the back field. My pick was Mike Thomas from Arizona. He is about the same size as Faulk and just as shifty.

I would just recall that Dave Meggett, who pretty much played the Faulk role, for the Giants and Pats, lasted until he was 36. Some people say there are only a certain number of carries and punishment in any RB.

As was pointed out, Faulk really doesn't have a 32 year old RB's body. He still has considerable mileage left on the treads.

He was an SEC record-setting back, and was a high-second rounder. Maurice Jones Drew was taken at about the same point. As someone pointed out he is the only guy that he would think of as a Faulk replacement. And I agree. I wanted us to draft MJD, but he was gone before our second round pick.:D

On Meggett, didn't his career end because of off the field issues, not his play? I seem to recall a scandal involving a hooker that led to the Patriots cutting him.

Either way, Faulk has a few good years left. Those that seek to replace him are merely looking at the 3M cap hit while devaluing his importance to the team.

A couple people in this thread clearly don't understand what Kevin Faulk brings to this team.

The number of first downs he is almost solely responsible for is a big reason why Matt Cassel is making $15 million this season, and why the Pats won 18 games in a row in 2007.

Not to take anything away from Brady and the rest of the offense, but how many guys can pick up 9 yards on 3rd and 9 so consistently? And on super-obvious draws/screens no less.

Already have him,Lawrence Maroney....if he can block better,that is...

Not this year. Look to 2010 to be the year we draft Faulk's replacement. And no, I don't think Laurence Maroney is that guy either.

His most productive year was 2000, the year he was supposed to be the main back. He did have two more years of good football after that, Unfortunatley, they were 2003 and 2008.

He's a good third down back, but that is it. He cannot run except a draw when a passing play goes for 5-6 seconds and all the LBs and Ss are way out in coverage and the pass rush leaves a gaping hole so big I could run through it.

Time to take his $3 mil salary and put it to better use.

I'd disagree. He had a greater role back then, but was hardly a real productive starting RB compared to the average.

In the last few years he has been a tremendously lethal weapon and valuable contributor as a receiver, change of pace runner and special teamer. This is a much greater indication of being "productive" than some raw stats IMO.

Last edited:
Usually, I guy like Faulk (or Troy Brown before he became a starter) is available from roster problems with other teams.

There are lots of undersized kick returners RB/WRs looking for a chance and available cheap if you can identify the ones with the heart and determination to break through.

Just look at the two I mentioned, both could have been cut multiple times. Their coachability and determination is what set them apart from a million fast little guys.

Having said that, I can't believe we can fully utilize all our day 1 1/2 picks (sorry, 3rd included), much less all 11. If we use a fairly good pick, we might get a returner and special teams demon valuable enough to stick until he can possibly replace Faulk.

No need to rush Kevin, he has become such a valuable, clutch, situational tool he must make other teams sick, which is just what we love.:D

Did Faulk contract MS or something during the offseason?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back