PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Do we need to do something about the #3 wideout?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

What to do about WR #3

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Name me five wide receivers in thier late 30s that have made a huge impact on thier NEW team since 2000? (late 30s = 36 or older)

Its Rare

Name me 5 sixth round QB's who've won 3 or more SB's.

I'm aware of the rarity - of course i'm willing to say this actual example is biased in Galloway's favor because Belichick knows the odds and still picked him up.

Last edited:
We'll be fine. Regardless of who the #3 is, with Moss and Welker this is an elite recieving core period. I hope Galloway gets another shot to shine here otherwise Edelman/Aiken/Tate will have to do.

Here is a list of available free agents from Scout.com (dated 9/30/2009):
Scout.com: Updated Best Available Free Agents-Offense

About what you would expect at this point of the season, JAG soup and a bunch of mental cases.

Not sure any are better or worse than Galloway, although some of them have return skills which could be an asset. Imagine Marvin Harrison playing for the Pats? How weird would that be?

I guess I would rather take a shot with one of the younger guys that stick with a washed up has been like Galloway.

Wide Receiver
Marvin Harrison - Turns 37 soon and it's questionable if he can still start after having knee problems in recent years.
D.J. Hackett - When healthy, a solid option for a West Coast offensive team. Worked out for the Titans recently.
Jerry Porter - Big receiver who still has some productive years left. Worked out for the Titans recently.
Dexter Jackson (KR) - Former second-round pick of the Buccaneers. Was highly touted before the 2008 draft, but struggled to learn the Tampa Bay offense. Recently visited the Panthers.
Amani Toomer - Possible No. 3 WR at this point in his career.
Reggie Williams - Talented, but troubled receiver who may have a hard time finding a job any time soon. His two-game suspension is over, however.
Matt Jones - Started to realize his potential last season, but off-the-field issues are to blame for him being a free agent. Worked out for the Tennessee Titans recently.
Ronald Curry - No. 4 receiver at this point in his career.
David Patten - Fits in as a fourth receiver.
Joe Jurevicius - Solid possession receiver, but has dealt with major knee problems the past year or so.
Ike Hilliard (PR) - Probably fits in as a fourth receiver at this point in his career.
David Tyree - Special teamer and fourth or fifth receiver. Worked out for the St. Louis Rams recently.
Ashley Lelie - Fits in as a fourth or fifth receiver.
Chad Jackson - Has good size and can run, but hasn't shown much else in his career. Worked out for the Indianapolis Colts recently.
Robert Ferguson - Fits in as a fourth or fifth receiver.
Koren Robinson (KR) - Probably fits in as a fourth receiver at this point in his career.
Darrell Jackson - Probably fits in as a fourth receiver at this point in his career.
Justin McCareins - Probably fits in as a fourth receiver at this point in his career.
Billy McMullen - Basically a fourth or fifth receiver.
Tim Carter - He can run, but that's about it.
Keary Colbert - Underachiever and fits in as a fourth or fifth receiver.
Drew Carter - Talented receiver, but is coming off of an ACL injury.
Will Franklin - Fits in as a slot receiver.
Travis Taylor - Journeyman former first-round pick of the Ravens who fits in as a fourth receiver at this point in his career.
Samie Parker - Speedy journeyman who fits in as a fifth receiver.
Dane Looker - Probably fits in as a fourth receiver at this point in his career.
Dante Hall (PR/KR) - Fits in as a fourth receiver and as a special teams returner.
Travis Wilson - Former third-round pick of the Browns.

Last edited:
I hope the patriots get a legitimate #2WR to play along side moss and welker. I would pay a lot of money for a legimate #2WR. Having a legititmate #2WR would improve redzone offense.

I hope they let the wilfork test FA and use the saved money to grab a really good WR to play along side moss and welker.

Last edited:
I hope the patriots get a legitimate #2WR to play along side moss and welker. I would pay a lot of money for a legimate #2WR. Having a legititmate #2WR would improve redzone offense.

I hope they let the wilfork test FA and use the saved money to grab a really good WR to play along side moss and welker.

I'd rather have a 2004 Corey Dillion. ;-).

Last edited:
I voted for option 4, though if I could've, I would've also voted for #s 3 & 5.

A couple of thoughts:

The value of having a pure deep threat like Galloway, who has less value as a short/intermed. threat, and zero value as a RZ threat, is further diminished because Brady hardly has the time needed to wait for those deep routes to develop, his OL being populated by "try-hard, injury-prone stiffs". Therefore, receivers who can get open sooner, like WW & Edelman, currently hold more value - to me, anyway.

OTOH, if we don't produce a legit deep threat, opposing Safeties will eventually creep so far into the box that our running game & short/intermed. passing games will also suffer. To me, it all comes down to the OL & Galloway. If they don't deliver - and soon - then perhaps one quarter of our playbook will have been eliminated.

Based on Adam Caplan's list of avail. FA WRs, I would give the agents for DJ Hackett, Ronald Curry, Matt Jones, Justin McCareins & David Patten a ringy-dingy. What's the harm to bring them to Foxborough for a workout/interview?

Those of you expecting to see contributions this season from Tate, Nunn or even Stanback may have to temper their enthusiasm a bit. If Tate could give us something as a Returner, I would be happy. As for Nunn, can he stretch the field at all, or is he just another slot guy like WW & Edelman? If he can't, then he can't help us, either.

Last edited:
I voted give Galloway more time. I don't think Tate will make a big impact offensively at this point.

At this point I think we're just praying Galloway gets it, or Tate is going to get a shot I'm guessing. I don't really see a rookie doing anything more than Galloway in his role either.

Stallworth was a stud--I wish he was still a Pat. But he wanted an insane contract and got 35 mil from CLE. He wasn't a possession receiver like Gaffney obviously, but he was sick after the catch. Stallworth was the classic deep threat, incredible hands--he hardly dropped anything--I often wondered if there was glue stuck to his gloves. He was a vital component to the Pats perfect 16-0 season. The one hand grab against Jax in the playoff game, the 4th quarter sideline catch against Indy, the acrobatic runs after the catch against Cleveland were my lasting memories of him.

Galloway might be the worst receiver I have ever seen in a Pats uniform during the Tom Brady era. I agree--time for Nunn to make a name for himself.

I hope this young defense can play well without wilfork. the money saved can be used to extend moss and add a legitimate #2. Adding to WR depth is great when you have tom brady as your QB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back