Welcome to PatsFans.com

Do we need more troops in Iraq?

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Patters, Mar 21, 2006.

1. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +583 / 22 / -19

With increasing evidence that Iraq is moving towards anarchy and civil war, should we send in more troops and invest more money? Someone in Al Qaida once said the way they would win the war was to force America to spend something like $400 billion/year. I don't know if they were right, but certainly our spending isn't adequate to introduce people to the benefits of democracy.

For instance, today, we have this in Baghdad:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060321/ap_on_re_mi_ea/iraq

The mess in Iraq was directly caused by an American invasion based on misinformation (or possibly lies). We are responsible.

I think instead of sending in hundreds of thousands of more troops, the US should fund an international effort to restore order and bring peace. I'm sure the neocons, taking responsibility for the mess in Iraq, would support a modest tax increase to help the Iraqi people.

2. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +780 / 18 / -23

#24 Jersey

I don't give a damn about the Iraqi people and I surely don't want to pay more taxes to help them.

Is the situation in Iraq worse now ? I guess it is. But I don't think the overall problem, that of breeding terrorists in the middle east is any worse. It's just been brought to the forefront. How do we stop it, short of nukes ? I don't have a clue but I don't think there was any easy way to stop it back in January 2002 either.

3. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +819 / 27 / -33

I do not know if we should just continue to open our pocketbooks for this Nation or incure more debt. Money may or may not be the answer, but more of a humanitarian approach vs. military, may be as beneficial. I always hear the argument about rebuilding NOLA, and counter with the amn't of cash going to Iraq and all of the fraud there. I am skeptical that the US will be able to monitor or control the rampant spending there, did you follow the Custer Battles trial??

4. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,131 / 3 / -10

The hell with the Iraqi people, America's main concern should be to KILL AND DESTROY TERRORISTS, because if we don't they will KILL AND DESTROY US.

If there are Terrorists in Iraq than we should stay there and KILL THEM.

REMEMBER 9/11, TERRORISTS DID IT.

5. mikey

mikey In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

There are NO TERRORIST IN IRAQ.

The 9/11 TERRORISTS are in AFGHANISTAN.

George Bush LIED to the American people.

Instead of going after the 9/11 TERRORISTS in AFGHANISTAN, Dubai Bush sent 2,500 US Soldiers to DIE IN IRAQ to restore the Bush family name and to satisfy his political contributors from Saudi Arabia and Dubai.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2006
  6. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +1,131 / 3 / -10

You should run for the senate :bricks:

7. dryheat44

dryheat44 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +78 / 2 / -0

#75 Jersey

IMO, we need 100% fewer troops in Iraq than are currently there. At this point, we can say "We honestly gave it our best shot. There is nothing more we can do here. You guys don't want to have a civilized democracy, we'll be leaving on May 1. After that, feel free to go on killing each other until the next brutal dictator comes along and starts the executions en masse". F*ck them. They should just split up into two countries. We could have helped them achieve that much easier than trying to convert an country of religious law into a democracy.

8. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +1,131 / 3 / -10

Bring back Saddam, turn him loose, restore his power, Saddam will straighten that crap hole country out in six months.

Iraq deserves Saddam, the savages liked being gassed and carved up, bring the boys home, f-ck Iraq, it is a land of butchers.

9. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

OOH...OOH PATTERS!
    Harry Boy swore! Do something!

I totally agree with what you said, Boy.

10. Gumby

Gumby 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +83 / 1 / -1

#11 Jersey

Lets examine the evidence with a very abbreviated and fast-loose with the dates timeline; shall we.

At first we were fighting with combat troops Fedayeen Sadaam and loyalists armed with Ant-aircraft missiles; heavy weapons and moving in formations of company to battalion size.

Then the terrorist and loyalist remnants were still targeting US logistics troops but began shifting targeting to Iraqi army while trying to avoid US combat troops and could still mass in platoon to company size on occaision.

Theno the terrorists shifted targeting from US troops entirely except by unattended IEDs and target the Iraqi Police force primarily.

Then the terrorists and thugs shifted their targeting to the Iraqi public.

Finally in a desparate measure to incite sectarian violence and wild upheaval they bomb one of the most sacred holy sites to their own religion that they are supposedly fighting for.

Can you see the pattern here?

There is desparation out there but unfortunately the only response Patters seems to know for desperation on the part of terrorist thugs is the FRENCH RESPONSE. Wave the white flag, RUN AWAY, RUN AWAY.

11. PatsWickedPissah

PatsWickedPissah PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +2,906 / 26 / -17

Disable Jersey

Great summary.
    We should DECREASE our troop presence in Iraq starting later this year as the Iraqi security forces continue to increase their capabilities. We've innocolated them with our NCO philosophy and the requisite training takes a couple years. We're only now (2005/6) beginning to see the fruits of this training. I'm assuming that this continues. I'm actually pleasently surprised that the Iraqi govt was able to hold off a full scale Civil War after the recent mosque bombing bait.

Remember that we DO still have troops in Corea and the Balkans. And we had large troop concentrations in Europe 50 years after WWII.