Welcome to PatsFans.com

Do we need a replacement for Dillon?

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by Julius, Mar 4, 2007.

1. Julius

Julius Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

The Pats have resigned Heath Evans and signed Sammy Morris. Is their room for a big back like Jamal Lewis or Ahman Green on the team or can we get by with Evans as a big back?
  2. Triumph

Triumph Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -2

Yes, NE needs a power RB IMO.
  3. Remix 6

Remix 6 Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

what? why? if we wanted Green or Lewis and give them a fat contract we would have done so.

Maroney is a featured back..as are the 2 FAs you mentioned. We needed a guy who can take a small role like Morris for relatively cheap. the reason Dillon is gone is it seemed like he wasnt happy with 8-10 carries a game that werent even guranteed..if Green came here, hed have a big contract to do what?

Were set at RB it seems..maybe late round to compete or w.e and be on the practice squad but thats it
  4. Kdo5

Kdo5 Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Dont expect another FA to be signed as an RB. We have 4 RB's already in the Depth Chart.
  5. Remix 6

Remix 6 Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

why would we sign Morris if we needed another powerback?

how many RBs do you plan on carrying?
    -Maroney
    -Faulk
    -Morris
    -Evans
    -Mills(FB-TE)
  6. Julius

Julius Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I'm think your probably right about not needing a power running back. The problem with the Dillon/Maroney combo last year was when Dillon was in the game you knew it was going to be a run. It's better to have two backs that are interchangeable as far as play calling.
  7. marty

marty Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Dillon was a pretty good blocker, so I wouldn't agree that his being on the field signaled "run"!
  8. Fencer

Fencer Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Dillon is gone.

K. Brady will get a lot fewer reps than Graham.

There's going to be less of a power flavor to the offense than there was last season, which makes sense since it didn't work so well anyway after the early part of the year.

I just hope that there's still enough power to succeed reliably on short yardage and in the red zone. Dillon was outstanding near the goal line last year.
  9. Fumblerooski

Fumblerooski Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Yeah, this could go both ways with Mills the wild card. It depends on how the Pats rate Mills. If they draft a RB on day 1, his chances of making the 53 don't look very good to me.

Bottom line - we fans want that big smash mouth RB but if you looked at the offense last year in crunch time, what did they do? Well, they put the ball in Brady's hands and went to a spread offense. That told me that Dillon and players of his ilk would be dinosaurs on this 53.
  10. FilPats

FilPats Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I bet the Pats draft a RB on the second day. Go Pats:rocker:
  11. Jimke

Jimke Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

If a good big back is available the second day of the draft the

Pats can select him.
  12. MrBigglesWorth

MrBigglesWorth Rookie

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0

No, Running Back is solidified.
  13. dtbrks

dtbrks Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I am not convinced. LoMo had a decent rookie season, but he hasn't proven himself as a full time back in the NFL, esp on third and short yardage.
  14. Return of the Nizz

Return of the Nizz Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I don't look at Morris as a replacement for Dillon, more like a replacement for Pass. Evans was already here. That said, I'd expect a RB to come through the draft as opposed to spending large dimes on a vet with a lot of wear.
  15. signbabybrady

signbabybrady Rookie

Ratings:
    +20 / 1 / -1

#24 Jersey

I don't look at Morris as a replacement for Dillon either, but I do recall us dealing with this issue last year as we Drafted Maroney. We have already replaced him so move onto more pressing needs. Like where to stay in Arizona.
  16. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +43 / 0 / -2

He was a first-round selection. I don't think the Pats picked him to be a souped-up Kevin Faulk. He is meant to be their future at running back.

I can still see roleplayers helping out, but this idea that he's not "proven in the NFL" to be capable of short yardage has to be tested sooner or later. Evans can still hold down the fort, if Maroney proves a poor choice at short yardage, but he has all the physical tools to be an "every-down back," especially understanding that phrase to include spells and passing downs given to Faulk.

The one decision I'd still cheer (but which looks unlikely,) would be TJ Duckett. I say this because if LoMo went down, I think TJ is capable of playing featured back competently (as well as being a great goal line/short yardage option.)

But I would be more than happy to see the Pats go into the season set at RB as the roster currently reflects now (or I suppose I should say prospective roster.)

PFnV
  17. Box_O_Rocks

Box_O_Rocks PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0

Now that is cold! Mix dissing his boy Quadtrine Hill. :nono:
  18. zippo59

zippo59 Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

It's going to be the Maroney show next year.
  19. JDP111

JDP111 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

So as of now who is the backup for Maroney? Of course they will get another back, most likely in the draft. If Michael Bush is available at 28, I think that would be a steal. Tony Hunt, Kolby Smith, or Dwayne Wright will all be on the patriots draft boards.
  20. Remix 6

Remix 6 Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

how the **** is he going to prove to be a fulltime back when he hasnt even tried it? let him take the starting role completely and if he cant do it then we know he might not be able to do it all himself

and i wasnt dissin Q from da U..hes on the PS..so i didnt include him.
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2007
  21. koolaid23

koolaid23 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

michael bush at 28?? are u suggesting that we use another 1st round pick on a RB? RB is done until training camp. maroney will be fine. he had no problems putting the ball in the end zone when givin the chance. (minus the afc championship game when he fumbled.) hes the future, the the man play.
  22. koolaid23

koolaid23 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

that should be let the man play:(
  23. JDP111

JDP111 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Fair enough, but there needs to be a backup, "feature" back that can carry the ball 15-20 times a game. There is no one on the roster that can do that besides Maroney.
  24. JDP111

JDP111 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Yes, I am suggesting that. If Bush is there, in my opinion you take him. Draft defense with 24, and then 28 is a "bonus" since the AT signing. Bush has the ability to be a stud in the league, and everything that I have read states he's a team leader with a phenomenal character. I wouldn't pass on him.
  25. pats63

pats63 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I really like the picture of AD sacking Manning....can't wait to see him do it in a PATS uniform!!!!Oh yeah,4RB is the depth and don't we have Q. Hill on the PS...

p
  26. Remix 6

Remix 6 Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Let me know when a team uses a #1 draft pick 2 years in a row so they can split the load.

-Bush came b/c he was just the BPA in draft
    -Benson was supposed to be starter but got hurt and Jones never looked back
    -Addai came to replace Edge

1st round-2nd round RBs usually come in to replace a RB on team b/c (age/productivity/injuries)

Maroney came to replace Dillon because Dillon was slowing down and getting old
    Ronnie Brown came to replace whoever they had after Ricky got busted
    Cadillac Williams came to replace Pittman because Pittman wasnt good enough for them

Kevin Jones came to replace whoever Detroit had
    Steven Jackson came to replace Faulk because age/injuries/productivity

some ofthese guys split time as rookies..(Jackson/Brown) to name a few but thats to get them the feel of the NFL and then they give them the load 2nd year or 3rd year

now..if we take a RB in first 2 rounds..how is Maroney ever going to blossom as a great RB when hes getting half carries only? Hows the other RB going to do the same?

Maroney doesnt have questions..hes a complete RB who went through rookie mistakes but you learn from them.

you know what happens when you dont let your top pick get the load?
    - unhappy maybe because he wants his full opportunity and paycheck
    - loses confidence

Stephen Jackson was very pissed @ Martz for not letting him get more carries as was Westbrook with Reid..they want the ball a lot and when you gave it to them..look what happened this year. very productive

you think Michael Bush or Tony Hunt will be happy taking 6-10 carries per game? No.

If you want a RB..you take him round 4-6 or get an FA..you dont need the best to have a good running game. Morris and Faulk are very good backups..whats wrong with them? Have we given Maroney the chance to be a full time back?No. Have we seen Faulk be productive last year? Yes. Have we seen Morris play a lot? No. we saw Morris run all over us..lets not beg for a new RB when we just got 1 and he hasnt done anything bad. You say late in season he struggled .he ran all over Titans and Jaguars after missing games. He struggled against Jets and Colts. Against Chargers we barely ran the ball.

our OL was not doing very good in opening holes. Maroney was 2nd amongst RBs in yards after contact behind Frank Gore. Now if hes getting 4.3 ypc and 2nd in YAC avg..whats that tell you?

Enough with the needing a RB if its Bush. Bush isnt a first rounder. He hasnt worked out, hes coming off a broken leg and he runs soft for a 250 pounder and i watch ACC. Hes not going to be the powerback we want. Powerbacks are later rounds if you want someone to bust the tough yards and you can get them through FA and i think were set at RB

-Marion Barber 4th rounder
    -Brandon Jacobs 4th rounder
    -Reuben Droughns FA
    -Mike Bell - UDFA
    -Davenport - FA

if we wanted another RB..why would we grab Morris? Why not Duckett or someone? Its clear we knew what we wanted and we took it. im done
  27. Remix 6

Remix 6 Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

heres some sarcasm for you

"oh definatley not..i mean we definatley DONT HAVE Sammy Morris who ONLY filled for Ronnie Brown and only averaged better than him when called upon. 4.3 ypc"

name me teams that have a guy who will carry 15-20 as a backup that will do it when a RB goes down.

Dillon left b/c he wasnt satisfied with 8-10 carries that werent guranteed. You think anyone else is going to come in and take more?
  28. JDP111

JDP111 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

OK you're right in some respects. But is Maroney a shoe in? no. Maroney has already been banged up, missing games in his first season-splitting carries mind you. Why not split feature backs? It keeps them fresh and rested and if one goes down plug in the other. So if Maroney were to fall to injury, you want Morris as youyr feature back? Not me. BTW you apparently haven't seen Bush play because he plays in the Big East. He's also not a "power back", he catches the ball and can round off tackle just as well as anyone. He had a broken leg, big deal. It's not an ligament/tendon, it has healed. I'm not fixated on Bush; however, we need another "#1" back type and there are a few players in the draft that would make sense for the Patriots. Depth, depth, depth. . . .

EDIT: It would have been nice to be able to run the ball more than 5 times in the seond half against the Colts. We had NO ONE that was able to.
  29. koolaid23

koolaid23 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

first of all the 28 pick is not a bonus. that pick just let us be able to get welker cause were gonna lose our second rounder if the fins dont the match the offer. 2nd we have a hell of alot more holes and need for depth than at the RB position. and can you do me a favor and find out what running back didnt get hurt at all at some point of the season last year? it happens. he didnt go through all the offseason conditioning that he will this year and he probably didnt get alot of the first team reps, or at least not as much as he couldve. let him bulk up, get the timing down with brady and the o line, and get all the 1st team reps in training camp. you guys are unbelievable we just barely miss out on the super bowl, and your ready to throw the entire 2006 draft class out the door for the 2007 class....and i would love to see any team take bush in the first round coming off a broken leg and missing basically the entire year. mcgahee being the exception...
  30. hwc

hwc Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

He was outstanding in short yardage.

According to the Fins fans, that's Morris' strength as well. The kind of guy who will come in and get a tough yard. He also filled in well when forced to starter duty when Ronnie Brown was injured. Gained 100+ against us and 90+ in another game as a fill-in starter.

Sounds like what we were looking for.