PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Do we need a NEW RB next year?

The whole potential interest in Ronnie Brown aside, I'd like to see the Pats look at a more of a Brandon Jacobs style runner. I don't think our offense needs the quick strike TD potential of a scat back as much as it needs to consistently turn 1st and 10 into 2nd and 5, or more importantly turn 3rd and 3 into 1st and 10.
A runner like LeGarrette Blount from Oregon would fit that bill. His talent could suggest early rounds, but perhaps the punching incident lowers that to later rounds? His later good behavior seems to indicate that it was an isolated incident, but I really haven't heard much consensus on where he might be drafted.
Blount is a multi-incident/problem prospect, I don't see him making the Pats' draft board.

Ronnie Brown turned loose would be a nice addition to the RB crew - he's a clear Faulk/Morris replacement prospect who can be a feature back when needed.

If Spiller is still there when NE picks in round one, I can see him getting drafted and used as a 3-way player at KR/PR, WR, and RB. Despite the age of the current RB pool, NE is in good shape; let's not forget Chris Taylor has been sitting on IR all season and will be well positioned after the offseason program to compete with the active guys. I expect BB to bring in 1-2 young RBs into camp for competition and to develop on the PSquad, but if a capable "name" falls into his lap at the right price tag, he'll pull the trigger.

EDIT: My #1 RB Free Agent target - Leon Washington.

Last edited:
If Spiller is still there when NE picks in round one, I can see him getting drafted and used as a 3-way player at KR/PR, WR, and RB.

I think Spiller is a legitimate "blue chip" prospect who could be an impact player. I think the odds are high he's gone in the top 20, but he could possibly slip to where we pick along with a couple of other potential "blue chip" guys (Carlos Dunlap, Brian Bulaga and Terrance Cody come to mind). I'd like to see us get a playmaker and impact player with our first pick, so I'd be quite happy to get any one of those guys if BB felt they fit and that he could get sufficient value out of them.

On the other hand, BB's single biggest criteria for a 1st round pick seems to be summed up by the term "3 down player", and I'm not sure that either Spiller or Cody meet those criteria. It will be interesting to see what happens if either guy is available when we pick.

I think Spiller is a legitimate "blue chip" prospect who could be an impact player. I think the odds are high he's gone in the top 20, but he could possibly slip to where we pick along with a couple of other potential "blue chip" guys (Carlos Dunlap, Brian Bulaga and Terrance Cody come to mind). I'd like to see us get a playmaker and impact player with our first pick, so I'd be quite happy to get any one of those guys if BB felt they fit and that he could get sufficient value out of them.

On the other hand, BB's single biggest criteria for a 1st round pick seems to be summed up by the term "3 down player", and I'm not sure that either Spiller or Cody meet those criteria. It will be interesting to see what happens if either guy is available when we pick.
I'm not sold on your 3-down criteria, Wilfork and Warren, for example, are often taken out on third down. NE is currently picking what, 25? If Cody or Spiller are there you've got impact players who can be used to create the situations BB likes to generate. Cody has value in the kicking game as a kick blocker, Spiller has value in the kicking game as well as on offense - you don't need three downs to possess first round value.

I'm not sold on your 3-down criteria, Wilfork and Warren, for example, are often taken out on third down. NE is currently picking what, 25? If Cody or Spiller are there you've got impact players who can be used to create the situations BB likes to generate. Cody has value in the kicking game as a kick blocker, Spiller has value in the kicking game as well as on offense - you don't need three downs to possess first round value.

I personally agree with you. I think Spiller and Cody provide plenty of value at 22-25, and would be happy with either one, depending on who else was available. Personally, I'd rather take a 2 down impact player than a 3 down journeyman. However, BB has spoken repeatedly in the press about looking for a "three down" player, and that if a player isn't a 3 down player they need to be really exceptional at what they do well because of the need to target another player to complement them. I'll be curious to see who he actually ends up taking.

I also agree. I see no reason to insist on 3-down players. I think 2 of Spiller, Cody and Mclain would be great additions to the team.

Let's wait a year and hope Russell starts for Oakland next season. Mark Ingram would like mighty fine in Pats blue.

sort of lie buying lottery tickets in order to get enough money be financially stable.

Let's wait a year and hope Russell starts for Oakland next season. Mark Ingram would like mighty fine in Pats blue.

I'd love to add Spiller, he's been my favorite college player for the last 3 years.

Hel heps in the running game, passing game, and on special teams. Explosive change of pace back that can take it to the house on any play he gets his hands on the ball. Great at catching the ball out of the backfield which is key in our offense b.c Faulk won't be around forever. Great KR, which we have struggled to find since Hobbs was traded.

I also like the idea of adding some fresh legs at RB in the middle rounds. I want to add some youth to the backfield rather than rely on old guys like Taylor and Morris who are injury prone. A guy I really like is Montario Hardesty. He probably has a 3rd or 4th round grade and has kind of flown under the radar in the talent heavy SEC. He's 6-1 215 and is an all around back with a good combo of power and speed. Pretty good vision and a good cutback runner. Very patient runner who always keeps his legs moving and will lower his shoulder and break some tackes. He's a decent receiver out of the backfield as well.

2009 was the first year he shouldered the load for Tennessee, and he ran for 1345 yards and 13 TD on 282 attempts in the SEC. He's had some issues staying healthy in the past. Tore his ACL in 2005, missed time with an ankle injury in 2007, stress fracture in leg in 2008. Had a great 2009 season, holding off highly touted freshman Bryce Brown for the starting job and raised his draft stock.

I think the only way I'd go RB in the first two rounds was if the value was just too great to ignore.

Or if they could get Tashard Choice out of Dallas for a second rounder. He is a complete back.

I'd love to add Spiller, he's been my favorite college player for the last 3 years.

Hel heps in the running game, passing game, and on special teams. Explosive change of pace back that can take it to the house on any play he gets his hands on the ball. Great at catching the ball out of the backfield which is key in our offense b.c Faulk won't be around forever. Great KR, which we have struggled to find since Hobbs was traded

And Spiller has experience picking up the blitz. He is not a world beater at it by any stretch of the imagination, but I think it will enable him to pick it up faster in the NFL than if he had no experience doing it.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back