PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Do we need a NEW RB next year?

carolinatony

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
We have what 5 RB's this year that have taken snaps.
I think we should get a new one via FA or draft. I prefer a Dillion type but would be happy with a solid RB.

Who do YOU think should go or stay out of Faulk, Maroney,Morris ,Taylor and Green-Ellis . I don't know how much Taylor has left.

I think we should get a new one via FA or draft. I prefer a Dillion type but would be happy with a solid RB.

Who do YOU think should go or stay out of Faulk, Maroney,Morris ,Taylor and Green-Ellis . I don't know how much Taylor has left.

Ryan matthews maybe if you can get him with a 3rd rounder or so. I don't think we have a 3rd rounder right now though.

Green-Ellis is good as a blocking back, not sure about catching passes and only so so at running.

I'd like to keep Maroney, Morris, Taylor, and Faulk if he doesn't retire.

If Faulk retires or signs with another team, we need a 3rd-down back.

Otherwise, there is nothing wrong with the RB's that we currently have.

Both Morris and Taylor got hurt and both are over 30. I really won't mind getting a FB if we were to use one. A good blocking back used to be on all teams years ago but teams have went to the pass more.

Both Morris and Taylor got hurt and both are over 30. I really won't mind getting a FB if we were to use one. A good blocking back used to be on all teams years ago but teams have went to the pass more.

That's why we have Maroney and Faulk. Do we really need 4 top-flight RB's at the same time? I like having the stable of quality backs to insure against injuries like Morris and Taylor. We always had 2+ RB's that were healthy at all times.

Don't get me wrong, if Taylor or Morris are deemed "done" by the coaching staff, we should add another back. Ryan Matthews, Anthony Dixon, Dexter McCluster, etc... would all be nice additions depending on which type of RB we lose.

I agree with this assessment.

That being said, I think that there is nothing wrong with bringing in a RB or FB who can have a role in the running back mix. We could find a top short yardage back, a fullback or a returner. Whoever we acquire would replace Ben-Ellis on the roster. This player could come from the draft or from free agency.

I strongly believe that the team would have been stronger in 2009 and in these playoffs if our #5 running back could have met ONE of these roples, rather than just being the last man on the bench in case of three injuries to other backs.

For me, it a joy to watch a running back run with a fullback blocking. Having to use Connolly in these situations just doesn't do it for me when we could have used the #5 RB spot for this purpose.

So, I will start early on my preference for 2010 RB's. I would prefer to have someone to fill the role of fullback, OR returner OR short-down back. I have no use for a #5 back who is simply there in case of there being three injuries.

YES! Please draft a running back or sign a worthy free agent. I doubt anyone can be had via a trade. If so, obviously you target Stephen Jackson who I don't believe is available. I say, target Mike Bell, LenDale White or Jerious Norwood in free agency. As far as the draft, you must target someone who'll become more than a complementary running back. Landing that featured running back is ideal.

YES! Please draft a running back or sign a worthy free agent. I doubt anyone can be had via a trade. If so, obviously you target Stephen Jackson who I don't believe is available. I say, target Mike Bell, LenDale White or Jerious Norwood in free agency. As far as the draft, you must target someone who'll become more than a complementary running back. Landing that featured running back is ideal.

I don't want LenDale White on this team. Stephen Jackson sounds good. Let's face it... Morris and Taylor are both over 30 and have both been injury prone. Faulk is also getting up there as well and won't be around for much longer. We could use an upgrade at running back. Whether or not we'll make a play for Jackson is up to the front office. I'm sure he's tired of running behind that Rams O-Line.

The running game needs to be rebuilt, I say we get a bigger power back like Toby Gerhart this year and then get a speedy shifty guy like Jeff Demps next year, a thunder and lightning combo.

The question of need is a tough one and one I am not comfortable answering until after the playoffs are over. For example, if Maroney doesn't reclaim the lead rb position during the playoffs, then I feel like RB becomes a primary need for this team.

I'd like to see a RB added, as I am uncomfortable going in to another year with Morris, Taylor, Faulk. I just feel like it's overkill having 3 older backs on the roster. Ideally, the Pats keep Faulk and one of Taylor/Morris. In the draft, the Patriots take a back who can double as a kick returner such as McCluster, McKnight, Best, or Spiller. One of these smaller type backs will likely drop due to simple supply and demand.

I wonder if Miami would move on from Ronnie Brown if they select a running back in the first round.

Last edited:
Our RB's are fine and it's clear we're probably going to be a back by committee type of offense as historically has been the case. If we keep this mantra, we need a competent fullback.

I wonder if Miami would move on from Ronnie Brown if they select a running back in the first round.

I live in South Florida. Word down here is that Miami is probably going to let Brown go. I suppose the Pats would be interested in his services if this happens.

Unless the offemsive philosophy is going to change, the RBs are fine as is. They could add a low cost FA or a late pick in place of BJGE.

It doesn't make sense to spend a high pick or a lot of FA $ on a back if you are going to run an offense where the running game is rarely a focal point.

I live in South Florida. Word down here is that Miami is probably going to let Brown go. I suppose the Pats would be interested in his services if this happens.

Suppose?

Belichick LOVES him.

The whole potential interest in Ronnie Brown aside, I'd like to see the Pats look at a more of a Brandon Jacobs style runner. I don't think our offense needs the quick strike TD potential of a scat back as much as it needs to consistently turn 1st and 10 into 2nd and 5, or more importantly turn 3rd and 3 into 1st and 10.
A runner like LeGarrette Blount from Oregon would fit that bill. His talent could suggest early rounds, but perhaps the punching incident lowers that to later rounds? His later good behavior seems to indicate that it was an isolated incident, but I really haven't heard much consensus on where he might be drafted.

Why would they let him go? Is he at the end of his rookie contract? Or is he injured? I demand answers. j/k.

Ah right, just checking :)

He is absolutely superb though. I'd love to see him lining up behind Brady, or even running out of the shotgun. The opportunity for the direct snap a la Faulk would be there on every play.

Last edited:
RB's are found easily enough via the draft or FA, but the key for BB is blitz pickup. Those backs are harder to find.

I think BB needs to get the stable younger and more athletic, but also needs a power FB that can catch (similar to Evans).

If we want a big plodding RB we could draft Gerhardt or Dixon and instantly have a power back.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back