PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Do we need a FB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Batman

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
I was watching some Heath Evans highlights and made me think thats a guy who can really open a hole down at the goal line or to spring a back like Taylor free.

Morris gets the job done for when we really need one. BJGE is capable too

In the past, we've been fairly successful with using a DE or TE or even LB to fill that role on an as-needed basis. I am not at all against that way of doing things.

We need a running back.

I think Gronk and Crumpler could adequately do what Graham used to, and Evans was never a great blocking fullback anyway, more of a finesse player.

On the rare occasion we use one, we'll line up an extra OL.

Last edited:
Yes, we do.

We need a running back.

I think Gronk and Crumpler could adequately do what Graham used to, and Evans was never a great blocking fullback anyway, more of a finesse player.

On the rare occasion we use one, we'll line up an extra OL.

Why do we need a RB? Taylor, Morris, BJGE, and Faulk are more than capable. We had 5 last year and we barely used them all. The 4 we have now will be fine. I think Rapoport might be onto something with his blog about the Pats might be targeting Ingram with the Raiders pick next season.

The Maroney trade is an offshoot of the change back to more of the man blocking NE used in the Superbowl years, Dante and BB have apparently decided the Shanahan system isn't as effective without also using all the chop blocks Alex Gibbs made famous. The need for a true FB isn't significant with mobile Tight Ends who can line up in multiple locations. Seriously, who would you rather have clearing a hole in short yardage, Gronkowski or Evans?

Last edited:
Between all our TEs, Morris, and our left guard doing FB duties, what more do we need....maybe Seymour? :)

Why do we need a RB? Taylor, Morris, BJGE, and Faulk are more than capable. We had 5 last year and we barely used them all. The 4 we have now will be fine. I think Rapoport might be onto something with his blog about the Pats might be targeting Ingram with the Raiders pick next season.

Because Taylor's old and oft injured. Morris is a utility player who missed as many games as Maroney since he's been here and Law firm is a straight ahead runner with no power, he's a marginal NFL player.

Put Taylor in a time machine and we'd be as good as anyone.

Last edited:
Anyone expect to see Connolly get a TD this year in the FB position?

I was watching some Heath Evans highlights and made me think thats a guy who can really open a hole down at the goal line or to spring a back like Taylor free.

Evans had a great game against the Vikings. I would add a FB but only if he fits the Heath Evans mold.

Job Responsibilities:
- can lead block on the move
- can block in-line
- can catch out of the backfield
- can play HB if necessary
- can play special teams
- is a a good team player

Most can do parts 1 & 2 but little else.

Yes, we do.

I second that emotion.

We haven't had a real FB here since Evans, or a real hammer-head since Marc Edwards.

It's not just about how to best utilize a roster spot, it's about establishing an Attitude.

The Maroney trade is an offshoot of the change back to more of the man blocking NE used in the Superbowl years, Dante and BB have apparently decided the Shanahan system isn't as effective without also using all the chop blocks Alex Gibbs made famous. The need for a true FB isn't significant with mobile Tight Ends who can line up in multiple locations. Seriously, who would you rather have clearing a hole in short yardage, Gronkowski or Evans?

Until Gronk consistently proves himself vs. more stout defenses than Cinci's, I'd rather have Evans for now.

It's interesting that you bring up the Shanny-Gibbs blocking method, Mr. Box. Do you feel that LaMa is better-suited to run behind that system, and could that be one reason behind his trade to Denver, as opposed to Green Bay for instance? For that matter, does Denver still practice Zone Blocking, now that McD in in charge?

Because Taylor's old and oft injured. Morris is a utility player who missed as many games as Maroney since he's been here and Law firm is a straight ahead runner with no power, he's a marginal NFL player.

Put Taylor in a time machine and we'd be as good as anyone.

QFT.

Some people need to remember just how fragile & marginal our RBs are, with the remarkable exception of Kevin Faulk. This position needs a major upgrade during the off-season, incl. an ass-kicking FB. Taylor, Morris & BJGE must not be on this team next year.

FB and HB.......

I think we'll be fine without a FB. We didn't have one last year and the Pats had similar rushing stats to the Vikings. Also did you see Crumpler coming down the line in motion and then exploding into the hole and clearing the way for Taylor this past weekend. He was a big contributor to Chris Johnson's 2000+yds season last year and should give the running game a boost.

QFT.

Some people need to remember just how fragile & marginal our RBs are, with the remarkable exception of Kevin Faulk. This position needs a major upgrade during the off-season, incl. an ass-kicking FB. Taylor, Morris & BJGE must not be on this team next year.

Our pick from the Raiders this year will probably be used to address this

I second that emotion.

We haven't had a real FB here since Evans, or a real hammer-head since Marc Edwards.

It's not just about how to best utilize a roster spot, it's about establishing an Attitude.

Agreed 100%. I'd like Peyton Hillis or LeRon McClain.

Every draft ... I target the best and/or biggest RB in the draft and I pencil him into my mock.

every year ... Bill does not read my mock .... 9 years now ... no FB.

I realize we don't need one ... it's pure selfishness that i want one.

But I remember the old smash mouth NFL days when Bill was but a pup.

Maybe he'd like to go back to those days.

Nope ... not happening.

Oh well ... I can dream ... and ... In Bill I Trust. :cool::cool::cool:

Personally, i wish we used a FB, but its just not in BBs plans.

If only there was a 22 yr old version of Sam Gash available,,,,,,,,:rocker:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing