Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank goodness Bill Belichick doesn't have the unbounded

confidence that most members of this forum have. Otherwise,

his team would slack off a little and come up with a stinker of

a game somewhere down the line. Obviously, the Pats are better

than the Redskins but throw in a couple of fumbles and interceptions

and the game evens out.

Landry and Taylor make one tough 1-2 punch at Safety.

It could be tough for Moss and Welker to have big gains.

Best way to beat the Redskins is short under stuff and keep a running game going to keep the rush honest...trying to beat that secondary deep with frequent bombs is not a good choice

Thank goodness Bill Belichick doesn't have the unbounded confidence that most members of this forum have.
Sure he does; he just doesn't talk about it.

The defense is probably the best we have faced.

But that offense is awful... they'll be lucky to score 17, in which case, Patriots W.

i am not scared about them. Ya their D is really good but i think the pats offense is just that good to beat any offense.

I'm scared Brady will only throw 3 TDs instead of 5. That's basically my fear. I think the game may be the closest margin of victory thus far.

im scared of them in an "any given sunday" kind of way.

I think we have a chance and here's why.......

I did some in depth research and I came to the conclusion that the New England offense is VASTLY overrated. New England has played BY FAR the easiest schedule in the NFL so far and they play in what might be the worst division in NFL history. Now, I am not saying they are not a good team, indeed they probably are the best team in the NFL right now, but the stats they have been putting up so far are greatly inflated. Now this is going to get quite in depth but I found a lot of interesting things out (like the fact that the Baltimore Ravens are BY FAR the worst team in the NFL with a winning record and its not even close).

First of all, who has New England beaten? The Jets (1-6), the Chargers (3-3), the Bills (2-4), the Bengals (2-4), the Browns (3-3), The Cowboys (6-1), and the Dolphins (0-7). As you can see they have only played one team with a winning record, that being the Cowboys. The record of the teams they have played is a combined 17-28 (a truly pathetic .378 winning percentage). Remove the Cowboys from that equation and it gets even worse, the other six teams have a combined record of 11-27 (.289).

Now let's look at each team's victories in detail. The Dolphins are probably the worst team in football and have yet to win. The Jets are almost as bad having only beaten the Dolphins. The Bills and Bengals are just as pathetic having only beaten the Jets and Ravens each (you will start to see why I say the Ravens are total crap). The Browns are also awful despite a 3-3 record as they have only beaten the Bengals, Ravens and Dolphins. Even the Cowboys victories are not that impressive when you see that three of their wins are against the Dolphins, Rams (0-7), and Bills. When you put this all together it becomes apparent that the seven teams that the Patriots have dismantled this year have a grand total of six victories against teams other than the Dolphins, Bills, Jets, Ravens, Bengals, and Rams. Wow, truly pathetic stuff. If these teams didn't get to play each other so much the Jets, Dolphins, Bills, Bengals, and Browns could all EASILY be winless.

So, lets look at exactly what makes these teams so bad! The answer is easy, DEFENSE! As it stands right now, through seven weeks of the season, the Dolphins, Jets, Bengals, Bills, and Browns are FIVE OF THE SIX WORST DEFENSES IN THE NFL!!!! Currently, the defensive rankings go like this:

Rank Team YPG

27. Dolphins 365.1
28. Jets 377.7
29. Bengals 384.7
30. Lions 385.8
31. Bills 402.5
32. Browns 413.0

A-ha! But you say obviously those teams will all be ranked in the last six in defense, they had to play the Patriots! But that is not the case at all. I looked up the individual game stats from every game the Pats had played this year and removed the offensive numbers they had put up against these five very bad teams and then recalculated the Yds/Game they conceded to the other five or six teams they played (five if they have had a bye so far). What I found out was amazing, controlling for the Patriots made virtually no difference (in fact the Browns stats actually GOT WORSE as they have been giving up 413 yds/game but only conceded 412 to the Pats). After this calibration the worst NFL defenses look like this:

Rank Team YPG

25. Dolphins 352.2
26. Bears 357.4 (see what happens when you sign Archuletta! )
27. Vikings 359.0
28. Jets 368.8
29. Bengals 380.8
30. Lions 385.8
31. Bills 386.0
32. Browns 413.2

As you can see, only the Dolphins stats improved significantly. After removing the yards that the Pats put on these teams from the equation the Pats have only played FOUR OF THE FIVE WORST DEFENSES in the NFL!!!! (or five of the eight worst).

Now don't get me wrong, I truly believe that Brady is the best QB in the game but it puts his numbers into perspective. He has had a dream schedule so far. Any NFL QB would kill for that.

So now lets look at the Redskins. First lets start with some stats. The Redskins schedule so far has been infinitely more difficult than the Pats'. The overall record of their opponents is 19-20 (.487). However, remove the Dolphins pathetic record from that and their other opponents are a combined 19-13 (.594). Despite that they are still 3-2 against those teams (4-2 overall) and many outside observers believe they should be 5-1 or 6-0 right now.

And why are the Redskins winning? Because of their stellar defense. There is no doubt that they have the best pass defense in the NFL! On defense, they rank first in QB Rating and Yards per Attempt, second in Passing TDs allowed and Opposing QB Completion Percentage, third in points conceded, and fourth in total yards per game (first in the NFC). (By the way, Tom Brady leads QBs in EACH of those categories - talk about a fantastic matchup!)

That's all well and good but how good are the passing offenses they have played? The answer is EXCELLENT. Every team they have played this year has a passing offense ranked in the top half of the NFL in passing yards per game! Green Bay is ranked 2nd, Detroit is seventh, Arizona is 9th, Philadelphia is 14th, Miami is 15th, and the Giants are 16th. Despite playing all of these very good passing attacks only once this year has the Redskins defense given up more than 220 yds passing!!! Even in that game they only gave up 280.

So essentially, this weekend you have the NFL's best passing offense (which has achieved that title by playing the league's WORST defenses) going up against the best pass defense in the NFL (which has achieved that by playing the NFL's BEST passing attacks). That is a fact! Now, in my opinion, the Redskins defense has EARNED its spot while the Pats offense has yet to face a decent rival. This is just an amazing matchup!

What's more you have the NFL's best WR going up against the NFL's best coverage defender. Sean Taylor leads the NFL in Ints (5) and also leads the NFL in passes defended (14). Randy Moss leads the league in TDs and yards. We also all know that Randy Moss is Sean Taylor's biotch as well. In two previous meetings Moss has just 8 receptions for 106 yds and a TD when facing a Sean Taylor defense and Gregg Williams has often made Taylor guard Moss one-on-one. What's more, from watching highlights it is clear that Brady's favorite play this year is to just heave the ball up to Moss and make him go get it. He will not even attempt that this week as Taylor is one of the few DBs big enough and athletic enough to jump with Moss, if the Green Bay game showed anything it was that such a strategy will most likely result in 2-3 interceptions for Sean Taylor.

So will the Redskins win? I wouldn't bet on it, after all we still need to score, our o-line is completely depleted and Belichek is a defensive mastermind. However, this game is BY NO MEANS A MISMATCH! If Rabach and Thomas were healthy this would be another story but they aren't. The reason I went to this effort is to show just what a good matchup this is and to give you guys some ammo to throw around if people start telling you the Redskins have no shot. They sure as heck do, they match up better against the Pats than any team in the NFL! When people try to tell you how awesome the Pats are explain to them just how weak their schedule has been and when people say this will be a blowout show that the Redskins have easily the best passing defense in the NFL.

HTTR!!!!

Didn't the Skins let Kurt Warner pass for 282 yards in DC? nuff said.

Here is why the Redskins have no chance whatsoever ............
Tom Brady (future Hall of Fame Quarterback) >>>>>>>>> Jason Campbell

By the way, New England Patriots have been known to be play some defense during this decade.

The Redskins are a joke. Even Joe Gibbs knows his team will get their asses kicked. Their defensive scheme is the most "vanilla" in the league. They hardily do any kind of blitzing, what you see is what you get. Their D-line won't be able to put any pressure on Brady and he will pick that "great" secondary apart. A teams secondary is only as good as it's pass rush. I'm not worried at all. It will be over at halftime.

Here is why the Redskins have no chance whatsoever ............
Tom Brady (future Hall of Fame Quarterback) >>>>>>>>> Jason Campbell

By the way, New England Patriots have been known to be play some defense during this decade.

yes and Sean Taylor and Landry >>>>> any of your db's.

yet you act like Brady will pick them apart like they are high school db's.

yadda yadda yadda

HTTR!!!!

Pats don't have any control over who they play and you can't label the Pats over-rated because they've played bad teams UNLESS they've also lost to any good teams and their stats are inflated by their wins to the bad teams.....but we haven't lost or even been close in any game, the Pats have dominated every comer so far.

That's why I'm looking forward to this game because the skins ARE a good defense so if we can hang 34 points on them it means a lot more than hanging 49 on the fins. And it's why (as a fan) I'm looking forward to the Indy game even more because they are a complete team offense & defense.

Washington is one fluke from being 5-1 and matches up well with the Pats both ways. They could be a more consistent team, but catch them on a good day and you have your hands full.

I predict the Pats win, but with the tightest point spread of the year.

I've been watching the Skins games and can make the case that they're a fluke from being 1-5 too. Their offense is downright offensive. Simply unwatchable.

yes and Sean Taylor and Landry >>>>> any of your db's.

yet you act like Brady will pick them apart like they are high school db's.

Sean Taylor and Landry dont play corner. They have no hope of matching Moss or Stallworth in a footrace. If I can get a 1 on 1 matchup of Moss vs Landry, you can bet I'll take that matchup all day long! Welcome to the NFL rookie!

PS if you watched highlights of the Dolphins game, you'll see Moss beating 2 man coverage routinely for catches and 2 TDs.

Last edited:
Sean Taylor and Landry dont play corner. They have no hope of matching Moss or Stallworth in a footrace. If I can get a 1 on 1 matchup of Moss vs Landry, you can bet I'll take that matchup all day long! Welcome to the NFL rookie!

PS if you watched highlights of the Dolphins game, you'll see Moss beating 2 man coverage routinely for catches and 2 TDs.

Landry runs a 4.3 and has incredible football speed..... Taylor has been praised all year for covering more ground than any other safety in the league..... just ask Favre another future HOF QB who threw 2 picks to Taylor.... In that game Taylor dropped 3 INTS right in his hands as well.

Thank you for that post. That's some good content to chew on.

One area of concern I have is your judgment of Randy Moss. The past is irrelevant with him (I'm still not much of a Moss fan because of his past). He is playing hard and has the best QB in the league throwing to him.

Also, don't believe one or two highlights. Last week he had that one TD where he simply outjumped and reached over guys, and I think I remember one other earlier in the year. Otherwise, most of his have been good routes, outrunning guys, or great adjustments on his part. He adjusted to and caught a ball thrown 60 yards with one arm last week.

Discounting him as Taylor's biotch and just a jumper greatly disregards what he's been doing.

As for the quality of teams/defenses NE has played, I hoped the Dallas game would settle this. They torched Dallas. They let Dallas get back into it and then went for the juggular. They showed they could score at-will on a good defense (though Roy Williams sure helped). I'll also argue that the loss to NE totally derailed SD and that they're a much better team than their record/stats currently indicate.

Please understand that our supreme confidence is not a knock on your team. NE has won each game by 17+ and is just dominating. We're excited by this team and cannot see many teams actually having a chance to beat them.

Well, us Skins fans are happy that we don't scare you guys. I guess looking at the way you have been playing you really shouldn't be scared of anybody. Our defense will be your biggest test of the year. Sean Taylor is no joke. If your receivers aren't a little leary of the biggest, hardest hitting safety combo in the game then I guess we will just have to see on the field. Not to mention our corners, Smoot, Rodgers, and Springs. Three cover corners.

Our offense has been our nemisis all season even though we know we have the talent in the skill positions to be dynamic. Portis, Betts, Cooley, Randel El and Moss is enough to move the ball on anybody. Our OL injuries are our biggest problem. Last week we played with 3 backup OL. This will be the game that Joe Gibbs and Al Sauders finally open things up because they have nothing to loose. Remember, 16 point underdogs.

I just wanna see one blindside hit on Brady. We got a quick glimps of what you have on the bench last week you bunch of scared rabbits. Who gets scared with a 21 point lead late in the 4th quarter. That backup must really be a bonified BUM. Ain't nobody scared of ya'll either.

The Redskins don't scare me as much as the fact that we play them one game before the Colts scares me. I played football, and as much as you like to tell yourself that it is one game at a time, it is hard to not look ahead to a game like we have in week 9.

That being said I think if we come out of the gate stumbling, we can still pull it together to win this game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots