PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

do the Pats take another running back high

Status
Not open for further replies.

R_T26

Banned
Reaction score
they took 2 TE's in the first round whats the chance they take another RB high. Dillon wont be around much longer, and i must admit I love the 2 headed RB thing. With the pats having 2 first round picks, and say someone like michael Bush drops, do the Pats take him. Or in the long run would it be too expensive, or simply not worth it.

um no. Dillon still has 2-3 yrs left in him..too early and plus u dont need a high RB to have a 2 headed RB attack

no , there are other pressing needs like linebacker, cornerback, and receiver

Dillon got a new contract last year so we have him for a few yrs so why when we have other needs which are more pressing.

MrBigglesWorth said:
no , there are other pressing needs like linebacker, cornerback, and receiver

Yeeup. Especially cornerback.

Time to start spending first round picks on cornerbacks.

A fullback that can run a bit can be had in lower rounds.

amazinPats said:
Time to start spending first round picks on cornerbacks.
need to add some playmakers on defense whether cb or lb

Corner back, Linebacker are both needed more. I wouldnt mind another Safety either.

No!

The New England Patriots need to restock the wide receiver position:

Name: Paul Williams
College: Fresno State Number: 1
Height: 6-2 Weight: 205
Position: WR Pos2:
Class/Draft Year: Sr/2007
40 Time: 4.45 40 Low: 4.41 40 High: 4.52
Projected Round: 1-2 Stock:
Rated number 3 out of 278 WR's 30 / 2232 TOTAL

Overview

Extremely talented player who had a huge spring and should factor immensely into the Bulldogs' offensive scheme this year ... Pat Hill termed Williams' spring as "one of the best I've seen since I've been here" ... Williams' talents have been described as "freakish" by Hill ... has been primarily a strong performer on special teams thus far in his career ... owns exceptional speed despite his large size (6-2, 200) ... the type of receiver who can go up and get "jump ball"-type passes deep in the corners of the end zone.

Name: Dwayne Bowe
College: LSU Number: 80
Height: 6-2 Weight: 220
40 Time: 4.52 40 Low: 4.49 40 High: 4.55
Projected Round: 2 Stock:
Rated number 7 out of 278 WR's 50 / 2232 TOTAL

Overview

Will be one of the leaders on offense for the Tigers in 2006 ... Goes into his final season with 89 career receptions for 1,413 yards and 14 touchdowns ... The 14 touchdowns ranks as the ninth-highest total in LSU history ... Enters third year as starter at wide receiver ... Gifted receiver who possesses great natural ability ... The most talented player in LSU's receiving corps ... Big-bodied receiver with great hands ... Has tremendous wingspan ... Still relatively new at the game of football, having played the sport for the first time just five years ago as a junior in high school ... At 6-3 has a tremendous stride that contributes to his breakaway speed ... Named to the 2005 SEC Academic Honor Roll.

Last edited:
R_T26 said:
they took 2 TE's in the first round whats the chance they take another RB high. Dillon wont be around much longer, and i must admit I love the 2 headed RB thing. With the pats having 2 first round picks, and say someone like michael Bush drops, do the Pats take him. Or in the long run would it be too expensive, or simply not worth it.
Officially, they claim their draft strategy for the first round is "best available." So far, I have seen nothing from them to demonstrate this isn't the case, so I would see it as a possibility they took another RB early - but perhaps not too likely.

We need wideouts, cornerbacks and linebackers:)

GO PATS!!!!​

QuiGon said:
Officially, they claim their draft strategy for the first round is "best available." So far, I have seen nothing from them to demonstrate this isn't the case, so I would see it as a possibility they took another RB early - but perhaps not too likely.
agreed.

If a runningback is the best available by far, i bet they would draft one or at least trade town.

n1patsfan said:
We need cornerbacks

Perhaps the next Ty Law?

Name: Leon Hall
College: Michigan Number: 29
Height: 5-11 Weight: 195
Position: CB Pos2: KR
40 Time: 4.48 40 Low: 4.43 40 High: 4.53
Projected Round: 1 Stock:
Rated number 1 out of 206 CB's 5 / 2232 TOTAL

Overview

Ronnie Lott Trophy candidate ... Thorpe Award candidate ... three-year letterman ... two-year starter at cornerback ... served as the team’s backup punt returner the past three seasons ... has played in 37 career games and made 24 starts in secondary ... team's active career leader in interceptions and pass breakups ... lists tied for seventh on Michigan's pass breakup list (25) ... has nine interceptions during career ... contributed 135 career tackles, including five tackles for loss, three sacks and three fumble recoveries ... recorded at least one pass breakup in 16 of his last 29 games.

Had a school record 83-yard fumble return for a touchdown at Northwestern (Oct. 29, 2005) ... has 13 punt returns for 166 yards (12.8 avg.) and one touchdown during career ... 2005 All-Big Ten second team (coaches and media) ... 2005 All-Big Ten honorable mention (coaches and media) ... 2003 Freshman All-American.

or another Pat Hill prospect:

Name: Marcus McCauley
College: Fresno State Number: 17
Height: 6-1 Weight: 198
Position: CB Pos2: FS
40 Time: 4.43 40 Low: 4.39 40 High: 4.48
Projected Round: 1 Stock:
Rated number 2 out of 206 CB's 10 / 2232 TOTAL

Overview

Very talented player who came into his own during the 2004 season ... started the year as a reserve but ended up starting the final 10 games of the season... a tremendous leaper who has served as the team's jumper on extra points and field goals ... has established himself as one of the WAC's top cover men.

Keegs said:
agreed.

If a runningback is the best available by far, i bet they would draft one or at least trade town.

yup - BB always surprises everyone, so why try and guess based on need.
let's just sit back, drink our beer and watch the draft, and not have any expectations. I've been waiting for a linebacker or a corner for about three years now, and he keeps taking tightends, but it works out fine, so what do I know?

I'd say - yeah - we need some young talent at linebacker before bruschi and vrabel and seau are done, but I'm confident BB will handle it. I'd love to see them snag a top corner.

In that excerpt from patriot reign that's been posted a number of times recently, Holly claims the pats were gonna draft either deangelo hall or dunta robinson, so it's not like they aren't aiming towards that.

ATippett56 said:
No!

The New England Patriots need to restock the wide receiver position:

Name: Paul Williams
College: Fresno State Number: 1
Height: 6-2 Weight: 205
40 Time: 4.45 40 Low: 4.41 40 High: 4.52
Projected Round: 1-2 Stock:
Rated number 3 out of 278 WR's 30 / 2232 TOTAL

Overview

Extremely talented player who had a huge spring and should factor immensely into the Bulldogs' offensive scheme this year ... Pat Hill termed Williams' spring as "one of the best I've seen since I've been here" ... Williams' talents have been described as "freakish" by Hill ... has been primarily a strong performer on special teams thus far in his career ... owns exceptional speed despite his large size (6-2, 200) ... the type of receiver who can go up and get "jump ball"-type passes deep in the corners of the end zone.

Name: Dwayne Bowe
College: LSU Number: 80
Height: 6-2 Weight: 220
40 Time: 4.52 40 Low: 4.49 40 High: 4.55
Rated number 7 out of 278 WR's 50 / 2232 TOTAL

Overview

Will be one of the leaders on offense for the Tigers in 2006 ... Goes into his final season with 89 career receptions for 1,413 yards and 14 touchdowns ... The 14 touchdowns ranks as the ninth-highest total in LSU history ... Enters third year as starter at wide receiver ... Gifted receiver who possesses great natural ability ... The most talented player in LSU's receiving corps ... Big-bodied receiver with great hands ... Has tremendous wingspan ... Still relatively new at the game of football, having played the sport for the first time just five years ago as a junior in high school ... At 6-3 has a tremendous stride that contributes to his breakaway speed ... Named to the 2005 SEC Academic Honor Roll.

I dont put a lot of stock into 40 times, but these guys are slow for a traditional Pats guy. With DG & CJ as big boys, we need a posession threat and a burner to stretch the field. Bam could grow into the posession guy, but the BB seems to like a Patten/Bethel type of guy to open it up. I certainly like both the guys you listed and would be happy with either 1 depending on the position drafted. Have you also seen Dave Ball from UNH??? Great later round project.

Digger44 said:
I dont put a lot of stock into 40 times, but these guys are slow for a traditional Pats guy. With DG & CJ as big boys, we need a posession threat and a burner to stretch the field. Bam could grow into the posession guy, but the BB seems to like a Patten/Bethel type of guy to open it up. I certainly like both the guys you listed and would be happy with either 1 depending on the position drafted. Have you also seen Dave Ball from UNH??? Great later round project.
Slow? What the heck are you talking about?

Name: Anquan* Boldin
College: Florida State Number: 4
Height: 6-1 Weight: 216
Class/Draft Year: Jr/2003
40 Time: 4.72 40 Low: 40 High:
Rated number 5 out of 90 WR's

Anquan Boldin was considered "slow" and look how he turned out!

ATippett56 said:
Slow? What the heck are you talking about?

Name: Anquan* Boldin
College: Florida State Number: 4
Height: 6-1 Weight: 216
Class/Draft Year: Jr/2003
40 Time: 4.72 40 Low: 40 High:
Rated number 5 out of 90 WR's

Anquan Boldin was considered "slow" and look how he turned out!

You are right, yes he was. What the heck am I talking about? You have no clue if the two guys you listed are the next Boldin. That is a pretty big statement. For every 1 Boldin who makes it there are 1000 who don't. It's more like, what the heck are you talking about. See, finding the right WR for our offense doesn't mean looking down a draft rating list from some news source and saying, "this guy is good." If you read my post in context instead of picking out one little part maybe you could understand what I said. Why don't try reading it again and getting the whole idea instead of being narrow minded.

I love Boldin but i'm sure its pretty damn hard to find someone like that.

I agree with the comment that for every Boldin, there is 1000 schmucks.

Digger44 said:
You are right, yes he was. What the heck am I talking about? You have no clue if the two guys you listed are the next Boldin. That is a pretty big statement. For every 1 Boldin who makes it there are 1000 who don't. It's more like, what the heck are you talking about. See, finding the right WR for our offense doesn't mean looking down a draft rating list from some news source and saying, "this guy is good." If you read my post in context instead of picking out one little part maybe you could understand what I said. Why don't try reading it again and getting the whole idea instead of being narrow minded.
Your comment "but these guys are slow for a traditional Pats guy" is a load of crap when aforementioned wide receivers are quite faster than the typical wide receiver prospect. As a footnote:

Name: Deion Branch
College: Louisville Number: 9
Height: 5-09 Weight: 191
Class/Draft Year: Sr/2002
40 Time: 4.47 40 Low: 40 High:
Projected Round: 3 Stock:
Rated number 10 out of 61 WR's

Combine Invite: yes
Height: 5091
Weight: 191
40 Yrd Dash: 4.47
20 Yrd Dash: 2.56
10 Yrd Dash: 1.51
Vertical Jump: 36
Broad Jump: 9'9"
20 Yrd Shuttle: 3.76
3-Cone Drill: 6.71
Wonderlic: 26

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back