PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Do the Pats "need" Ty Law?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shmessy

Phoenix, AZ/Retired
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Is he a "need" for this team? I say no, with one caveat. That is if Rodney can't make it back 100%. If Rodney can't , then we WOULD need a vet back there (as a Safety, Ty) with swagger who loves to hit and knows the system inside and out.

Rodney gave the secondary a fear factor for opposing receivers. If he's not there, then a beefed up Ty Law could do the same.

Last edited:
Can we get by without him? yes. Can we make it to the SB without him? yes.

However he would be a good player to pick up, if the price is right. I don't think that he is looking for what he was last year.

PATSNUTme said:
Can we get by without him? yes. Can we make it to the SB without him? yes.

However he would be a good player to pick up, if the price is right. I don't think that he is looking for what he was last year.

Without him AND Rodney? I think we do need at least one of those two in the secondary.

I agree, if Rodney's back 100%, we don't need Ty.

I want to see Law, Harrison, Wilson, and Hobbs out there. Law needs to deflate himself, and ask for a reasonable price instead of pulling this Latrell Sprewell crap.

no.

not at the $$ he wants.

Losing Rodney turned out to be far worse than replacing Law with Earthwind Moreland, Hank Poteat and Troy brown. When you can alternate street free agents and receivers into the corner slot and continue to shut teams down, it means the position is highly overrated.

Every week the pundits called our secondary "weak," and every week we were picked on by QBs who figured the same thing, and every week the secondary played just as strong as when Law was back there.

'04 Manning against NFL = 49 TDs
'04 Manning against secondary he was supposed to shred without Law = 3 points.

corner is easily the most overrated position in football. smart teams don't pay corners anywhere near $10M.

Last edited:
mavfan2390 said:
I want to see Law, Harrison, Wilson, and Hobbs out there. Law needs to deflate himself, and ask for a reasonable price instead of pulling this Latrell Sprewell crap.

Law and Harrison at S (with Tebucky and Sanders backing them)

Wilson and Hobbs at CB (with Samuels and Gay backing them)

The Scotts for depth.

Makes me (almost) feel better about LB weakness.

the taildragger said:
no.

not at the $$ he wants.

Losing Rodney turned out to be far worse than replacing Law with Earthwind Moreland, Hank Poteat and Troy brown.

Every week the pundits called our secondary "weak," and every week we were picked on by QBs who figured the same thing, and every week our secondary played just as strong as when Law was back there.

corner is easily the most overrated position in football.

smart teams don't pay corners anywhere near $10M.

This year, he realizes he won't get anything near $10 million. After the draft and some of the maneuvering it's probably down to us and KC. I'd be ok with $2-3 million and loads of incentives (but I leave that to Miguel and those other posters who, unlike me know what the hell their talking about on the cap situation).

shmessy said:
Without him AND Rodney? I think we do need at least one of those two in the secondary.

I agree, if Rodney's back 100%, we don't need Ty.

I don't know how many times I have to say this. Rodney wil be starting game one of the regular season.

If he is 85-90% of what he once was, that is better than 100% of everyone else.

I can't believe how many people think Hobbs should be starting over Samuel. Granted, Samuel isn't great by any means but he's still better than Hobbs.

Sure, the Pats could use him. But the real questions are...
Does he want to play here?
Has he mended fences with BB?
Will he play here for less $$$?

IMO, I'll be shocked if Law Returns. Once a mercenary, always a mercenary.

10 mil...no problem

shmessy said:
This year, he realizes he won't get anything near $10 million. After the draft and some of the maneuvering it's probably down to us and KC. I'd be ok with $2-3 million and loads of incentives (but I leave that to Miguel and those other posters who, unlike me know what the hell their talking about on the cap situation).

I don't think the 10 mil signing bonus for 3 yrs is a problem if he plays for 2 mil a year after that. 16 mil / 3 yrs = 5.3 mil average. But he wants 10 mil to sign and 7.5 mil a year too!!! 10.8 mil a year average. Not happening.

Adding Law would increase the Pats chances of winning the SB exponentially. If only because they'd have a major turnover machine making game changing positive plays for them. But also for his valuable experience and still very capable skills.

If winning super bowl XL is what's important then it's a no brainer to bring the guy back.

huskeralk said:
I can't believe how many people think Hobbs should be starting over Samuel. Granted, Samuel isn't great by any means but he's still better than Hobbs.
I think Hobbs is better at covering the deep ball. Samuel is very good at short area stuff and I think he'll be a great slot CB. I think Hobbs plays WR downfield better. That doesn't make Hobbs better than Samuel, I just think that playing to their strengths Hobbs will cover an outside guy and Samuel will cover a slot guy. If that makes Hobbs a starter and Samuel not - then so be it.

Regarding Law, we don't "need" him but I sure would like to have his playmaking back.

the taildragger said:
no.

not at the $$ he wants.

Losing Rodney turned out to be far worse than replacing Law with Earthwind Moreland, Hank Poteat and Troy brown. When you can alternate street free agents and receivers into the corner slot and continue to shut teams down, it means the position is highly overrated.

Every week the pundits called our secondary "weak," and every week we were picked on by QBs who figured the same thing, and every week the secondary played just as strong as when Law was back there.

corner is easily the most overrated position in football. smart teams don't pay corners anywhere near $10M.

That is a good point that if you are going to pay big money to a DB it should be a safety. They are the quarterbacks of the secondary because they stand the farthest back so they have the best view, so they usually are responsible for directing CB's. Also safeties most often have flexibility in the schemes and must use their judgement to decide who they should give help to where as CB's assignments are pretty drawn out and they just have to stick to them. It is a lot harder to find a guy who has both the athleticism and intelligece to play safety, than a CB who more soley relies on athleticism and just following orders.

Our secondary will be fine without Law, but it certainly will not be any worse with him. If you can get him back at the right price then of course do it, he is a great player, but don't break the bank for him because the secondary is ok without him. Think of him as sort of a possible added bonus. He's not a necessity, but we would be better with him.

P.S.-Reiss is reporting Titans, Browns also interested in Law.http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/

Last edited:
PATSNUTme said:
I don't know how many times I have to say this. Rodney wil be starting game one of the regular season.

If he is 85-90% of what he once was, that is better than 100% of everyone else.

100%? I would say more like 85-90% Even if he was 100% healthy, he's not the best SS in the NFL IMO.

huskeralk said:
100%? I would say more like 85-90% Even if he was 100% healthy, he's not the best SS in the NFL IMO.

:eek: !!

Well, then - who is?

Bobs My Uncle said:
If winning super bowl XL is what's important then it's a no brainer to bring the guy back.

Didn't the Steelers (referees?) already take care of that? :rolleyes:

huskeralk said:

I see you haven't taken your eye laxitives and still have your sh!tty outlook. You are entitled to your always negitive and anti Patriot opinion.

You know what they say about opinions and in your case it's a big one.

Patriotic Fervor said:
:eek: !!

Well, then - who is?

Well, Ed Reed comes to mind.

PATSNUTme said:
I see you haven't taken your eye laxitives and still have your sh!tty outlook. You are entitled to your always negitive and anti Patriot opinion.

You know what they say about opinions and in your case it's a big one.

:D Why do you get so bent out of shape whenever I give my opinion? It's not like I'm saying Harrison is the worst SS in the league. I just don't think at his age he's the best anymore. About 3 years ago I would say he was easily the best SS in the league though. Feel free to continue overexaggerating though, that's what you're best at.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back