PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Do the Pats Have the Best Nickel Package in the League Now

Status
Not open for further replies.
* I remember there were stats where the last 8 games they had one of the best defenses, including passing D.

* This all without Warren and Bodden in the lineup.

* Now you add back Warren, Bodden, and now Haynesworth (plus Ras-I Dowling) and this defense could be a force.

Big Vince Wilfork played 4-3 at Miami and was a major disruptor. He isn't your typical huge nose tackle who can't pass rush. Wilfork is a beast pass rusher if he isn't triple teamed all the time.

Those who don't think this Defense is poised to become one of the very best, and ~ for my money ~ THE best, have evidently been in a Coma since last October.

We have NOT gone from the WORST 3rd down team in a decade to the best.

I would agree that we will much better with the acquisition of Haynsworth, and with Bodden back.

For now, Ty Warrren simply replaces G. Warren who did a reasonable job.

We shall see. There were a ton of injuries that contributed to that stat last year that have been resolved.... not to mention a year of maturation for some young, talented guys. With so many factors that have changed, you should not be so quick to capitalize such judgements.

Our run defense is obviously much improved with the additions of Ty Warren and Haynsworth.
==========

The OP suggests that our nickel is now the best. We will certainly be better at DT with Haynsworth and Wilfork, but WHO IS PLAYING DE in the nickel. Do we really think that two of the following are the BEST????

CUNNINGHAM
MOORE
NICKOVICH

Even for someone of HIGH football acumen, this is waaaay too much capslock.

Last edited:
To answer the title of the thread:

No.

Not by a damn sight.

Not as long as they still have 3rd-string crap starting at OLB, and Arena League talent backing them up.

Last edited:
We shall see. There were a ton of injuries that contributed to that stat last year that have been resolved.... not to mention a year of maturation for some young, talented guys. With so many factors that have changed, you should not be so quick to capitalize such judgements.

There are so many young players who could make the leap on defense. I really think this could be Chung's breakout year, giving us safety play we haven't seen since Rodney. Mayo could become the best linebacker in the AFC, and McCourty might overtake Revis. Ninkovich could garner more league recognition if he keeps up his play.

In Nickel Situations the Pats - like many other 3-4 team such as PIT - use their OLBs as DEs. Ty Warren really should be out there on a 4-man-line. Gerrard Warren is kinda a step up. Wilfork can cause he has the quick burst, but having him play all 3 downs isn't good.

Really, the best options are Wright, along with Haynesworth and Stroud. Pair one of the 3 up with Wilfork or G. Warren and those are the 2 interiors.

But for DEs on the 4 man line? Ugh, slim pickins.
Cunningham-Haynesworth-Wright-Ninkovich/Moore as of now

To answer the title of the thread:

No.

Not by a damn sight.

Not as long as they still have 3rd-string crap starting at OLB, and Arena League talent backing them up.
Cunningham is 3rd string crap?

I also think the weak link of the nickle unit will be the 5th db. 3 Safety's didn't work to well last year as Chung couldn't match up and stay with his man that well. Can Arrington prove he's a good slot cb who simply didn't have the physical attributes to match up on the outside? Can Butler or Whilite have a breakout season? Can Dowling stay healthy and if he can does he produce when on the field?

I think the 5th db is a bigger question than the pass rush at this point. Perhaps this explains the Dowling pick a little bit. We play so much nickle but haven't had a year of 3 quality cb's who stayed healthy all year.

Hopefully by having 4 guys (Dowling, Arrington, Butler, Wilhite) 1 will turn into an above average db and we stay healthy to really improve this unit.

DL on the Nickle Unit

I'm not sure what to think of this.

Playing an OLB or 2 as DE gives us more speed and the ability to drop said OLB into coverage.

On the other hand some combination of Warren, Wright, Wilfork, Haynes and Pryor would seem to be our best pass rushing unit AND our best run stuffing unit.

In the end it will probably come down to match-ups and which players are playing better. Should be a lot of competition for snaps on this unit.

Considering that the Pats had the worst 3rd down defense last year, it is way too premature to annoint them the best nickle defense. The Pats still have questions at the outside rushing. We don't know if Haynesworth will be motivated. We still don't know how Bodden, Wright, Brace, Pryor, and Warren will rebound from their respective injuries.

That's a good point. We have a lot of good names in our Nickel, but who is going to get to the QB?

Considering that the Pats had the worst 3rd down defense last year, it is way too premature to annoint them the best nickle defense. The Pats still have questions at the outside rushing. We don't know if Haynesworth will be motivated. We still don't know how Bodden, Wright, Brace, Pryor, and Warren will rebound from their respective injuries.

This.

Id love to think we'll go from being ranked 30th in the league to 1st, but does anyone really expect that to be the case? Lets at least be a little realistic in our expectations.

pretty sure stroud got cut.

Not sure why they'd have 4 huge DL in a nickel package. I would think it would be easily beaten with speed to the outside on screens and such.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back